1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

On being useless

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShnitzelKiller, May 28, 2014.

1. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Time after time, when I actually pause and observe other players, I notice that most builders spend their time standing around, or wandering, as if not knowing what to do. When the game starts and the rush should be happening, I sometimes see a builder just hopping left and right behind the spawn, or doing some other repetitive motion as if bored. I don't think it's explicitly communicated in the tutorial that doing nothing takes up a slot and harms the team, especially when you mistake these things for actual teammates and ask them to do stuff. 99% of the time, builders will not respond to a direct order issued directly at them by name.
    In one memorable TTH game, I came back to the base after ten minutes and the shops were all still unconverted, in their default, useless state. There were two builders sitting behind the base in stone chairs they had made, spamming emotes at each other and role playing that they were kings or some stupid shit.
    It's actually a difficult class to play effectively, and this should be somehow made clear, since currently the people who play builder are some of the dumbest sub-humans to discover their parents' credit cards.

crackwise, emasame, Vampire and 2 others like this.
  2. Rider339

Rider339 Bison Rider

I've seen many times where games where 1 team got a great early start but lost it after a while just because of the intelligence of some players in their team as builders. Yesterday I was in a CTF game and we got a great start and nabbed one of their flags early however we soon lost that advantage because 3/4s of the team were builders and even when I said we needed more knights they just ignored me. So it was myself and 2 other knights and an archer vs about 8 knights coming at us. In the end we ended up loosing because only a couple of the builders eventually changed to knights and we couldn't get the advantage back because the builders weren't there when we needed them.

Frederikam likes this.
  3. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Yeah, there's no point building your defenses that much back at base because your team is either going to win or have the base slowly worn down by the enemy. We need more offensive builders or at least ones that work on towers somewhere near the middle of the map. I remember one time Shadlington told everyone to rush and our whole team went offensive and we curb-stomped them for around three matches in a row.

4. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Maybe if we keep bitching about them on the forums in a new thread every week then they'll get the message.

swiggityswooty, 8x, epenow and 8 others like this.
  5. Leo

Leo Haxor

"Order" ? You can't give any "order", it's a game not the army. Get real, people will do what they like.

Vampire likes this.
  6. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

It's my turn to bitch audibly. This ain't the suggestions forum; I know you can't fix people. I'd just like to share the hate.

And an order is like, "make a knight shop" ten minutes into the game. Nope, builders continue hammering dirt.

NinjaCell likes this.
  7. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

It is annoying to build though, because half the time there is either not enough space, or someone has built a terrible defense, and you don't want to tear it down because you wouldn't have any defenses then or any time to build a new one, or someone comes over and fucks up your tower.

8. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

depends on the person i guess. i always love building. i only dont like when i join a game and theres no trees and the stone is exhausted. then i have to depend on teammates giving me resupply and 90% of players dont know anything about that. ive had to educate mid-game but its easier giving up.

btw vampire is going to give some of the kiddos on the forum a fucking nightmare with that sig of his.

9. Armitage1982

Armitage1982 Shark Slayer

The worst for me is hundreds of seconds of archer and knight just doing nothing during the building phase.

On a builder side note: rock building is costly. Add more resources in map or dropped crates.

epenow likes this.
  10. I, too, love stalling the games forever

Galen and Kouji like this.
  11. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

How about... and this is a long shot... but why not GET SHIT DONE YOURSELF.

I think it was Sun Tzu that said, "If some kids are RPing on a non-RP server, do the shit they are suppose to do and then try to kick them."

Also,

Just be happy, there is much worse than this occurring in other games.

I quit WoW after 3 years of playing after I walked in on a virtual lap dance in Goldshire. After that, I looked at what I was playing and quit (selling my account for a few hundred bucks) after realizing this happened way too much for me.

If you see THAT happening in KAG (excluding Arcrave and Yagger) then theres a problem.

epenow likes this.
  12. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

The kind of person that people are so affronted with are less of a problem; they can still change, and, when you get down to it, they're more a minor annoyance than a terrible scourge of society.

The real problem, the thing that constantly plagues this community, is, assholes, Duplolas.

Galen and Kouji like this.
  13. the real problem is not having enough fish in a game to eat

14. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

...you really quit WoW because you saw two players goofing around? whut

You have your people who just dick around all game and build chairs and shit, and then you have the people yelling at them and complaining about how they're not taking the game seriously enough. The latter are much worse in my opinion. (Not saying that anyone here does this.)

It's perfectly fine to take the game (any game really) as seriously as you want, but don't expect everybody to take the game just as seriously.

Just tell them about sandbox servers and ignore them.

15. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

By the time you've gone through the trouble of changing class/starting a votekick, it's a lost cause anyway. Every time I go builder, our team gets overrun and it isn't safe to build, because I was one of very few knights, and usually the best. On the other hand, builders who are conveniently situated and would be of great help will do nothing. This kind of waste will wear down a team. That's why it's frustrating when said builders decide to build a trap behind the spawn when your team is stuck in the base and flooded with enemies.
    When it gets to the point where the sole remaining player on the previous losing team throws a temper tantrum and starts wordlessly hammering every block I build, I don't bother to start a votekick or !guard (for which I'd need to have recorded it, peer-reviewed it, published it in a respected journal and attracted at least a million hits on Youtube to be believed); I just leave.

Kouji likes this.
  16. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

To translate my sarcasm...

What I meant was:

If you see a player or players goofing around, you can take it into your own hands to try to make them do what they should be doing. If it matters so much, just ask them to get back to playing the game how it should be played. If they don't listen to you, it is again up to you whether you want to get involved further or not.

Should, is a matter of opinion is some cases, FYI

So, the example I used was when I quit WoW:

As I told you, I saw two people RPing a lap dance in a town in WoW. They weren't hurting anybody. They weren't greifing the game. Nothing they were doing was wrong.

Now, after 3 years, I had no real life friends playing anymore. After seeing that, I didn't want to become the guy getting a virtual lap dance from a night elf who may have been a man IRL. So I left.

Whether or not I overreacted is your opinion. Yeah I completely overreacted, but w/e, I made money ::D:

But the whole point to my half ass'd, fully sarcastic post, was that you have a few options when a problem arises. Making sure to FIRST check to see if it actually a PROBLEM.

1. Ignore it exists entirely
    2. Acknowledge the problem and try to make them do what you want
    3. Acknowledge the problem, play knowing that you are down some players, and change yourself
    4. Leave

And there is a 5th option, which many people seem to choose.

5. Bitch about it

17. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

New idea: Yiu can star a vote to kick someone for being usless, however if the vote sucseedes the player will be kicked out but instantaneously replaced with a Arcrave AI that will spam chat with profanity.

18. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

How about replace team with migrants.
    "Hello!"
    "Friend!"
    Now there's an agenda I can get behind.

epenow likes this.