1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1057] Knights scaling walls infinitely?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by tons0phun, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Jprime

Jprime Shipwright

I can wall climb a 3-block offset, but i don't know if i should mention the technique because exploiting it might mean removal. Takes lots of skill though.

2. DooMAD

DooMAD Shipwright

Solid block, or down-facing bridge overhang? I normally try to do 4 blocks when there's sufficient supports to the tower.

3. Jprime

Jprime Shipwright

Sufficient supports to the tower? i can do 4 block but 3 is more prevalent. a 3 down-facing bridge, nvr thought of that but ill try it out. and when i say 4 blocks, i dont mean a 2-block offset, then another 2-block offset

4. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower

It's basically a replacement for shield towers, which should be a thing but they actually require a minimum level of cooperation and attention span that people just aren't capable of in pub matches. They're also slightly harder to maneuver in than classic KAG for whatever reason.

It can definitely have the feeling of being bullshit since it does give knights even more advantage in individual agility. Boulders are the same. It's just an object that was conceived of being used in a certain way but due to how it really works it's often used as a replacement for battering rams/archer melee, which can annoy people to no end.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  5. NastyCamper

NastyCamper Builder Stabber

You hit the nail on the head here. The game, while immensely fun, has some balance issues that are just flat out ignored. I refuse to play knight because of it. If you take the time to learn the basic mechanics of the class you can use exploits like this one and others to abuse the class and carry your team to victory. So it's not really a question of true skill so much as it is a matter of learning how to abuse an overpowered class. I think this is a key reason why the game has failed to garner a larger following. It's great but people get discouraged easily when they see a single class dominate all others in virtually every aspect of the game with the exception of constructing structures. I continue to hold out hope some of the issues will be addressed and some have, but minor ones really. Nevertheless, the game remains fun despite its flaws.

6. Classic's knight shield towers functioned as a ladder whenever the shield was pointed up. Release had this for a while too, until it was found that you could fly by timing jumps and shielding with any number of coordinated knights in tandem. Hence, it was changed so the knight's shield when upright acts more like a an upwards platform - it's harder to jump on, but prevents ridiculously hilarious flight.

7. Infiniterising

Infiniterising Amorous Duelist Donator

Tbh, it would be fun trying to shoot them down, be it cata, ballista, or bow, mounted and otherwise.
    EDIT: imagine bomb jumping onto the cloud of floating enemy knights with a lit keg.....

8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

No, it's not fun. If people are complaining about the knight's ability to slooooowly climb perfectly vertical towers, imagine two knights flying ridiculously high above an arrow's arc at normal movement speeds. It's not fun, it's gamebreaking and awful. We must never return to those dark days.

SirDangalang likes this.
  9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Eh, wallhumping is just as bad. Zeppelins required teamwork, whereas wallhumping just extends the destructive power of a single Knight even further by allowing them to invade the enemy base without even needing a bomb.

... You know what? I have to give my two cents. This is not directed at you, Klokinator; this is just me ranting.

The thing that annoys me most about this bug is how supporters of it reply to people who think it's unfair. They always say one of two things, and the first is build better.
    Yeah, isn't that some crap. Build better, they say to the class that gets the least love in this entire game. Make overhangs. Yeah, you think there's time to make overhangs when there are four Knights attacking relentlessly and on top of their ridiculous bombjump mobility they can just float straight up towers?

The second thing they say is "it can be easily countered." Yeah, by putting a huge overhang on every structure, and I've just expressed how well that usually goes in the heat of battle. The other counter is attacking from above. But where does one have to be in order to attack from above? On the tower. Knights usually don't hang out on top of towers, let me tell you that. And Archers? Oh good, let's encourage Archers to do the thing that people hate the most - camp.

I'm convinced that removal of this glitch would only make the game better.

10. I feel that it's easily stopped by vigilant players. An archer can stick a single arrow in them, which disrupts the climb, especially if they're close. A builder can dump a block on them or just stomp them, and a knight can slashstomp with ease.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Let's just suppose for a minute that we want this fixed.
    Fixing it would involve either some fundamental changes to movement (so that getting back to the wall isn't possible), or a direct banning of >1 jump off the same facing surface (so that "rejumping" isn't possible) - I'd probably go with the latter, but it feels quite arbitrary and involves tracking a few extra fiddly things.

I'm torn at the moment on whether to reduce the total height you can reach with jumping quite a bit or not - the competitive players I talk to seem to want it, and the more casual players I talk to don't. While focussing on the competitive often seems like the "right" thing to do, ease of movement is important to help new players get into the game (which is very important for its long term survival), and if there are possible "exploits" to extend your possible jump height (like notching in classic) and they become the norm, then we end up with opaque game mechanics and meta and a whole lot of bullshit again :^)

I'm more interested in input on that than on the rejumping thing - I might do it, but as the people in favour of this staying point out it's pretty simple to counter - two spikes on wood blocks is sufficient, or else an overhang (preferably of platforms so that archers can shoot down and builders/knights can stomp).

12. infinite wallclimb is retarded not because of high walls that you can just spike and call it a day but because of small, cheap ones that cannot afford to spend too many resources in attempts to block it

also i wouldn't try to listen to a "competitive" scene in a game where fundamental combat boils down to standing in one place and trying to kill the other team with projectiles

franek123 and austinthus like this.
  13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I agree with this 100%. Main bases are not going to get wallclimbed - they're too tall and too well-protected. It's the little defenses thrown up by builders that are just way too easily shrugged off by users of this glitch. It keeps builders from actually frontlining and really makes them useless as a class for anything other than turtling a prebuilt fortress.

Apronymous and austinthus like this.
  14. Nand

Nand Arsonist Tester

2014-07-25 06:47:49: revision 9292 to 9298
    [fixed] knight wall infinite jumping (you're welcome)

It's over guys :eek:

kodysch likes this.
  15. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

platform forward towers work pretty well. ive been trying to use them more and it seems to be getting picked up by the community as well. it only needs to be like 6 blocks high and it delays the opposition so much. a platform takes fucking 9 hits from a builder to break too.

Apronymous likes this.
  16. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

First off, boundless love for you Geti and the dev insight you give to this stuff <3

If only to repeat what has been said already as knight players have practised to do the wall climbing technique which I would dare to say is difficult to pull off, builders have adapted their techniques in kind to always build platform overhangs on even hastily built frontline walls if ally knights and archers are able to buy them enough time with pushing back the enemy.

And to not go off topic but to compare this to the drill rushing discussions in some threads (which imo takes way less skill than knight wall jumping) once again I feel builders have adapted in their strategies with mixing platforms with stone and can counter such tactics regarded as overpowered to an effective degree.

Ofc I am not well versed in competitive game play as people such as Ej and Nighthawk, but I think we should keep something in game which encourages players to practice and learn interesting techniques. Especially considering there is a current ingame strategy that potentially counters it rather than going straight to the need of tweaking the build :)

Dargona1018 likes this.