1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dwarven Halls: Dwarves vs Goblins

Discussion in 'Groups' started by 8x, Jun 4, 2014.

1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

So basically, some ago Hallic and I had the idea of reviving the old Dwarven Halls (Dwarves vs Goblins) server by VanHuek. It was his first KAG server afaik, and it was online before any RPG he did later on. It was on alpha, and premium only.

https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/dwarves-vs-goblins-dwarven-halls.7768/

Long story short

blue team are Dwarves; they are Knights class only and have to take the red flag and capture it.
    Red team are Goblins ofc, and they’re archers only. The maps are designed for the archers to molest and camp, and for the knights to sneak into, work as a team, dig some passages, bypass traps etc. It has a timer – like 8 minutes each map- and if the blue team has not captured the red flag it’s a draw, so Goblins win! It’s like a modded CTF with a Tower defense and infiltration feeling
    No bombs, no catapults, no builders with badass castles (yes, I would say that’s KAG nowadays :>)

Here comes the reason why I joined this social group, I truely want to revive it, and at least, make a resource for hosters to download and run in their servers. Hallic seems not linked to this anymore, though I’ll try to itch him a little more to make some maps, he did some for the original Dwarven Halls server and were rather good.

I’ve done 6 maps and adapted 1 more from the originals so far. I’m trying to make some sprites for fun too, so atm I wanted to show how things are in raw. Beta offers more possibilities, so maps have been done according to it. I attached a zip

I asked VanHuek about the sprites the Viridi Militis dev team did ( thinking in Dwarf Knight and Goblin Archer) and he was okay with sharing them for a revival of Dwarven Hallls. I didn’t want him to send them to me until the project had taken off; later on I left it aside.

Temporary To-do list:

Sprites:

-Dwarf spritesheet (KnightMale.png and female)
    -Goblin spritesheet (ArcherMale.png and female)
    -some new Heads (perhaps?)
    -maybe a custom World.png too?

Maps:
    -overhaul the maps (they were done before the “spikes stun you” build, so their traps are too lethal)
    -new maps/ideas on map design

Code (?):

-CTF adapted with locked classes and timer
    -Shaping the classes (health/speed/endless arrows?)
    -game design: rewards for killing? Hearts, coins to buy lanterns or to open specific doors? Trader at a specific spot?
    -…

Others:
    -sounds for each class?

I’m more into spriting and map making, I know nothing of coding and barely a thing about game design.

From now on I’ll try to make some sprites because it’s the reason why I’m inclined back to this project; I’ll tweak the maps and make some more in the following days or weeks.

I've done this tests thinking of a Humans vs Rats idea:

men rats test.png

What do you think about it?
    Contributions and ideas will be clearly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

Looks rather good.

If you desire I could come up with some sort of background story for this lot? Which I love doing... :3
    Lore for stuff makes it more interesting!

Edit: Maybe it can have some sort of association with KARPS? For example being in the same world... both being made by Zen Laboratories you'd think they'd have some sort of story-wise connection?

3. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I Loved that server

4. EhRa

1. KRPG

Oh I was looking for inspiration for sprites and I found the old KARPS Dwarven Knight sprites. We could revamp them to Beta Maybe? Also a goblin Kiddy (random sprite)

Attached Files:

5. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

@SJD360
    If this was related to KARPS it would be nice; it's on its first steps though, so we can check it once both poyects are more advanced into their respective developments. The goal is pretty simple, so the background story should be too.

@eragon200012
    Oh I like the goblin specially; the knight looks a bit too fancy

I've done a rat-like archer spritesheet, with specific arrows and sounds too. Eventhough I'm not so happy with it yet, it's a bit confusing, I like the idea of Humans knights fighting against archer Rats. The sounds of rats add some fun.

Attached Files:

6. EhRa

1. KRPG

The spriets arent mine, One was made for Classic Karps (The dwarf) and the Goblin one is a skirmisher. I suck at orc/goblin textures.

P.S I added an orc builder guy.

Attached Files:

7. valtzu

valtzu Haxor
    1. Zen Laboratories

Nice::):

8. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Back in alpha me and my team used to make RPG stlye servers, which were highly similar to this goblin vs dwarf server. They were very popular and great. I like the idea and would like to help in this. If you want, I can make maps, I have folders full of great maps I made. We should discuss this later, add me on skype pls! :)

9. SJD360

SJD360 Haxor

Was it the Dwarves attacking the Goblins or the Goblins attacking the Dwarves?

10. 8x

It was Dwarves attacking the Goblins.
    @Shadowor
    it'd be great to have some maps more. Be sure to check the original server thread, and the maps I attached at the op. Knights will probably have like 6 or 7 hearts. So you get an idea of how the gameplay is from each class.

In the maps i did for Beta I used team teleporters, platforms, spikes... also trapblocks and stone doors to block or allow specific paths for each team.

I'm working on a new Knight, mainly because I like it, but te mode could easily begin with the vanilla sprites.

11. EhRa

1. KRPG

I could make a goblin archer maybe?

12. 8x

of course you can,
    after we gather some sheets we will decide together what should fit better and we can discuss about them. That from the sprites side;
    @sinitreo @Chrispin please harlp with the code/game mode thing

About the skype convo, I'm not on it, but if it helps I'll ask sini about an invite, it looks like things might be faster there

13. sinitreo

sinitreo Shopkeep Stealer
    1. Zen Laboratories

8x, this are a bit frozen now. Most of us have to finish exams. Also I'm currently a bit busy with one commercial project. Let's hope things get better at the end of june

14. 8x

ah k, I thought your exams were off,
    yeah first things first

15. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

8x, this looks great. As I told you ingame, I can't script or sprite, but I can test and think of ideas. Hope it goes well.

16. EhRa

1. KRPG

Im thinking the have kind of a atlatla. And my exams are off so ill make the sprites soon.

17. 8x

Mainly for fun I've been remaking the Knight: it's a bit taller and the heads are smaller. This might lead nowhere though. If I'm doing these it's because I find it funny. I'm liking more the rats and human theme, but it does not mean anything. I believe that playing charachters that look different than the vanilla one is more appealing.
    heads test.png
    (There's a Hitler head, no offence intended it's just a test)

18. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Sorry for being inactive, I finished exams and done with holiday, maps will be done in the next few days.

19. 8x

Don't worry Shadow, we all seem to be a bit more inactive lately; I got some RL issues and I'm barely spriting a thing, just playing