1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Water Changes General

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Auburn, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Yeah, it had to be done.

I think that almost all of us on the forums can agree that SOMETHING needs to done about water and water combat in KAG. I'm not talking about water bombs and water arrows, I'm talking about bodies of water and boats when I say water combat.

I'll start off by stating what I think could be done about water combat to fix it:
    Why are dinghies so slow and expensive? As of now, dinghies are useless, so here is what I suggest about them. Reduce knight and builder's swimming speed, keeping archers at the same speed, speed up dinghies, and make them cost either 100 wood from builder shop or 30 coins from knight shop (numbers could be subject to change). Also to prevent dinghy spam with cheaper prices, make them have boulder-like properties so you can't stack them on each other.

feel free to discuss. and this will probably end up becoming a shit-hole like the archer or the knight thread, but hey, I wanted to say something about water combat, and the discussion would have just changed into this anyways, so I saved the admins a bit of work.

PinXviiN, NinjaCell, kodysch and 2 others like this.
  2. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Umm, I thought dinghys did cost 100 wood. Yeah it's from the boat shop, but you can basically get a free dinghy every respawn. If only they didn't suck, along with the other boats. There is basically no reason to get the boats, they're expensive as shit and they die really fast. It's a real shame because water combat is almost fun with boats.

Actually if boats didn't suck ass I think that would solve most of the problems with water maps - and I'm not usually bothered by smaller water pools, it's the ocean maps that are the real problem.

It would be nice if people could think of good ideas to fix water combat, but I feel like it would be easier to just make boat combat more feasible. We're working with stuff we already have that way.

And god bless you for making this thread, I doubt it will turn into a shithole because the archer/knight threads are 90% just archer players and knight players yelling at each other. This isn't as two sided.

Seriously, I love boat fights. Earlier today I was playing on one of those god awful mudpuddle maps and it had gotten to the point where builders destroyed all of the islands for some reason. People slogged around in the mud for a while and accomplished fucking nothing. And then there were boats. War boats smashing dinghys into splinters, people getting stuck under boats, emote spam as people rowed boats around and smashed everyone in their way, knights blowing up literal boatloads of people. It wasn't so bad then.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    PinXviiN and epenow like this.
  3. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

I'm 100% on board with this shit. i fucking hate the current state boats are in. they can help improve water combat so much its ridiculous.

I would like to revive the idea of the "tank" war boat in that the spawn inside is protected so its not as easily taken by the opposing team. Also war boats should be more durable i think. as of right now boats are really just a gimmick.

4. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

I like the ideas suggested by auburn. Water at the moment is just a clustercuss, and boats are not incentivized very well.

PinXviiN and epenow like this.
  5. ccnc

ccnc Catapult Fodder

then I additional suggest changing archers name to branded archerfish and the other two to turtle and potato.

6. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Turtles are still dangerous and potatoes can be poisonous.

Anyways, boats were originally stronger, but they were too strong because they were tough to take down. I'd say that the issue stems from the fact that there's no real reason to build a boat when you can swim in water.

If only longboats and dinghies were a bit faster, I'd think that'd probably resolve the issue of water combat. As of currently, it's faster to slash swim or grapple around underwater to move faster. Speed should only be around 1.2x faster with a dinghy and maybe 1.3 times faster with 2 people on a long boat. I don't think that War boats need to be faster since they are a mobile spawn point, can ram castles next to land, and can be used for attacking if they have a bow gun. Also, I don't really think you need to make them have more health if they were faster since they wouldn't be sitting ducks anymore.

Horse_That_Goes_Ni likes this.
  7. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

I agree water combat could be improved, but either make enemy player unable to spawn in a war-boat when an enemy is taking over it (Like halls in TTH) or add a near-instant way of taking over war-boats (Like ballistas).

Almost completely take over an enemy war-boat to have 3 knights spawn, invincible for 3 seconds, and completely set you back.

kodysch likes this.
  8. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

So it's make players slower or boats faster.

I'd say the longboat is plenty fast as is, when you get 3+ people in it the thing practically flies.
    I agree with Kouji that the warboat having a speed increase would make it op.

I think making people slower would make it more obvious to a player that using boats is in their best interest, otherwise they would just keep playing how they have been. I would really like to see the new player speeds tested out in a game to see how it feels. Again I like Auburn's idea of slowing only the knight and builder, but if it made archers too annoying in water i'd be down for everyone slower.

Can this speed mod be done easily?

9. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

We had slow movement in water and it was frustrating because it caused stalemates. The people on land could easily fend of any attackers for literally hours because the difference in advantage was that huge. It didn't matter how good the attacking team was in that case.

It could go differently though if boats get increased speed and are more useful, but it'd definitely would have to be tested in a full game before it'd be considered.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to change the speed in water, but you'd probably have to ask someone to do it.

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: boat changes - they're in the next build, which will hopefully get tested over the week and released around Friday. longboats and dinghies are faster, warboats don't ram tiles and longboats do, which gives each of them a set purpose.

I'd like to make some set purpose "upgrades" to dinghies as well (things like add a keg = demolition ship, add a drill = breaching ship, add mounted bow = small attack boat) but I don't think I'll get that much time this cycle since I've got other work to do and exams to study for.

emasame, NinjaCell, zerd and 4 others like this.
  11. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

If you get round to it could we have a trampoline-upgrade ship? It could boost people much further than a normal trampoline. Could possibly have angle adjustments too, but that might be a bit complex.

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Those ones provided are just examples - a trampoline boat would be lots of fun :^)

emasame likes this.
  13. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

A dingy with a keg or two in it could be used as a sort of a "Fire ship".

Of course, make a longboat would be better because of the speed.