1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1120] Don't Use Drills to mine stone/gold!

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Gurin, Jun 13, 2014.

1. sinitreo

sinitreo Shopkeep Stealer
    1. Zen Laboratories

lol. I love how zombies shout at me "DO NOT DRILL STONE BLAH BLAH BLAH". On a map with 8 players. With tonz of stone. I wish people use common sence sometimes. Drilling stone is a nice way to get strong defence up during building stage when a few players participate in the battle.

P.S. It's a bug which has been fixed.25252525

2. SAcptm

SAcptm Haxor Staff Alumni

The main reason there's no need to drill during build phase is that you already get free refills of stone from the tent almost as regularly as you can place it, assuming you also use the 30s resource timer to spend your wood too.

I usually build the front tower in most buildphases, and by the time I have gone to the front and placed all my stone, placed wood wallfiller behind it, put down platforms and doors, and walked back to the tent - there's another 100 waiting for me immediately. Rinse, repeat.

If you spend the first minute of buildphase digging/drilling a load of stone and then the rest of the buildphase placing it all then you have gained comparitively little (you spent time gathering that I spent building) compared to the fact that all your resources have been stolen from mother earth rather than magicked out of the tent.

In my view, this means that digging stone by hand during buildphase is even more dumb than drilling it, because then you're not even gaining the slightest build-speed advantage.

edit: exceptions include building tunnels or piling up useless shit around the tent area

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    FuzzyBlueBaron and Gurin like this.
  3. sinitreo

sinitreo Shopkeep Stealer
    1. Zen Laboratories

Can you please post a pic of a tower you build during build phase? (I assume you build it using only ten res, without stealing at the beginning and without mates' help)

P.S. I ask because maybe you build a really good tower and I just don't know the blueprint=)

4. SAcptm

SAcptm Haxor Staff Alumni

I'll try to get one soon to show how much can be done using only tent mats, you might find the amount surprising.

The caveat of course is that often other players will be contributing to the tower with their own stone (however they acquired it), so in regular games its never an ideologically pure tower. And also I'll confess to usually being the first fucker to pick up dropped stone at the start.

edit: it occurs to me that if someone was conscientous enough to collect the extra stone every supply cycle as well as digging/drilling (e.g. by holding their inventory stone in hand while they hit the tent) then my argument wouldn't apply. I really don't think this describes most players though.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  5. ZeThtb

ZeThtb Haxor

Speed, the faster i can start a real defence, the less the nobs can fuck up.

Mostly depends on maps, if the map has water close towards the border, i use the drill to dig dirt mostly and cool with water for a little drown/sink/blockade pit, never just to "farm stone".

6. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Still doesn't give you the right to destroy other's drill. You just wasted 100 stone too, and that drill could have mine through the enemy base or something.

DragonShark and valtzu like this.
  7. Dubovnik

Dubovnik Drill Rusher
    1. Top Hat Squad [THS]

So dont use drills for materials. use for destroying enemy building or make tunnel under enemy base.

Drills are for Destroy not for make stone material.

8. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

I don't know about you guys but I know what I'm going to do everytime I'm in a match with gurin

CrystalClear likes this.
  9. drilling gold is retarded. drilling stone if a valid move (after build time). stone is unlimited, deal with it and stop telling others what to do. you are wasting time

franek123, Ej and Lawrence_Shagsworth like this.
  10. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Eh, there are some maps where drilling the stone (limited though it is in said maps) is actually a decent move simply bc (if done at the front line) you can wind up with a bloody great hole in front of your forward tower-- which is helpful in the not-having-you-stuff-kegged stakes. ^_^

11. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

12. acromatic

acromatic Catapult Fodder

I'm one of the newer players on kag and I had just found myself in a discussion about this today after I watched two (the only 2) builders on my team go stright for drills. The custom maps currently being used are misleading newer players and I suggest you try more balanced maps in the future. One good thing came out of this though, I made my own custom map. My first custom kag map actually and although I was here looking for information on running some mods I stumbled upon this. I haven't tested it yet but I'm hoping it will become popular and I will let everyone use it free. Sry to stray topic a bit.

13. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I never use drills, they tend to over heat too fast for me.

14. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Well, all depending on the map, sometimes drills are good.

For example, you just got into a game with 2 other builders, one had their thumb up their butt making a trap that will die in a matter of moments, and the other was AFK. Get a drill ASAP, get stone, and spam up a tower.

If it's a custom map, or a Flatmap (See: Last Kings Flatmaps), then drilling isn't bad. After all, at spawn, there are two lines of stone going to the bottom of the map. That should be enough to justify using the drill to get stone to get up a defense.

Otherwise, drills in the beginning of matches aren't that smart. You just need to learn the maps and know which ones are safe for drills or not.

15. Harold7

Harold7 Arsonist

drill destroy enemy base