1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Grass growth

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Vermilicious, Aug 22, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

So, it seems grass doesn't grow (back), resulting, usually, in a rather barren landscape. Since trees grow back, why shouldn't the grass and bushes do so too?

One of the little pictures on the front page highlights how you can hide behind a bush, but how big a chance is there really to have a bush to hide behind? Most of it is already gone before battle commences.

Important? Not really, but it would look prettier. And, more possibility of hiding. :)

2. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

They did grow back (or rather, could be planted) in earlier builds of Beta. But it obscured too much terrain and usually everybody just destroyed the bushes to be able to see anything.

Rocketlock likes this.
  3. SuperTurdBoy

SuperTurdBoy Tree Planter

Its called the carnage of war.

4. Duke_Jordan

Duke_Jordan King Arthur's Knight Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I'd like grass growth back, some greens would be good after kegs destroying it all making craters

5. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I brought this up with Geti some day earlier this week iirc, and he said it's not gonna happen due to optimization stuff.

Sorry to be a party pooper. I'd like it too.

6. Landoo2

Landoo2 Ballista Bolt Thrower

i think that with planting is a shit idea, but why not making grass regrow from alone? maybe 2 minutes after the grassblock got drestroied from a dirtblock, it regrows..

7. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I'd like damaged dirt to slowly compact/heal to full health, lots of grit, and gore makes for wonderful fertilizer too.

It would make the battlefield look livelier, with constant erosion, compacting, and the regrowth of plants as the battle rages on, and starts the cycle over and over again. [Especially if we get more tile frosting, and damage-related frostings]

Corpsey likes this.
  8. Landoo2

yep, i agree you, a green battlefiel would look much cooler : ) and maybe we could need something else as trees, bushes, and grass....
    maybe something in the water like plankton : D or.. i dont have any ideas at the moment, i mean just not thatt the battlefiel looks boring... maybe if animails come out, it would be cool if snakes could hang from trees down and damage you : ) (POOOISON)
    [wouldnt it be cool if you kill a snake, take the poison and then you can craft poisoned arrows : D ? ] {i know you guys dont want KAB to get like minecraft but i think its not really interesting if animails are just there to be killed... and the answer with ''there will come mods out'' i dont believe too,...}

9. Boea

Boea Such Beta

as far as I can shake it, underwater... underwater bushes, and underwater grass could be your kelp, and water flora... it would look pretty neat.

Duke_Jordan likes this.
  10. Landoo2

yep : )

11. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Nothing of this has to do with the OP anymore. Go back to topic or I am going to lock this.

12. Boea

Boea Such Beta

We want grass to grow on dirt, and apparently this includes underwater dirt?

13. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

You were talking about adding completely new stuff, whilst the original post was about tweaking/changing how currently implemented stuff (in this case grass & bushes) could/should work.

So no, it does not include underwater dirt. Make a new suggestion/idea as separate thread if you want to talk about that.

14. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

Yes, I can see how this could be an issue. Let me however, if I may, add another suggestion to the matter that would solve this:

Let bushes be drawn in the background rather than the foreground. Also, if the grass is also obscuring too much, perhaps the grass can be drawn within the block it grows on rather than on top of it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 26, 2013, Original Post Date: Aug 26, 2013 ---
    I was a bit quick there :D
    This would of course remove the possibility of hiding. You'd still get the visuals though.

15. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

As Monsteri has said. It's not gonna happen right now because Geti is trying to fully optimize for maximum server performance first. Maybe later but now your just chasing your own tail.
    End of thread?

16. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

So can this be done now? I've seen maps with a lot of trees and they seemed to be no different concerning lag. All it would take is a hand full of bushes that would grow back to make the land seem so much more alive.

Alternatively would it be too much of a strain on the system to have grass grow on all dirt after a certain amount of time? Much like the way grass regrows on Minecraft?

17. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

It would be nice.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 19, 2014, Original Post Date: Jun 19, 2014 ---
    Um, I live the idea with the Minecraft grass, BUT, What happens if your digging a cave and you see grass growing in it. A bit bad. OOOOH Maybe mushrooms could grow in caves/dark places

18. bobotype

bobotype Catapult Fodder

Would it be not an obstacle to optimisation if the game just checked and changed every five minutes or so all the blocks that could see the sky [not underneath another block or water]?

19. noname42

noname42 Shipwright

it would be nice if moss grows on stone blocks over time

norill likes this.
  20. cool necro.

this is on my todo list. a basic ecosystem - grass grows on dirt and then bushes, grain, trees and chickens randomly pop out. and then some faggot arsonist archer comes and we are back to bare dirt

Verzuvius, 101i and Auburn like this.
Mods: Rainbows