1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Material Swapping Shop

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by austinthus, May 31, 2014.

?

Mints?

1. Yay!

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Nay!

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Now, before you automatically start posting a comment saying what horrible crap this would be and how this hasn't worked before, listen to what I have to say. Stone is a limited resource. Gold is a limited resource. Almost every other resource in the game is infinite, but for the most part, it's coins and wood. This automatically makes people think that builders will get 10 kazillion stone in an instant if they have a sawmill or two. It won't. Not if my suggestion is balanced right, at least.

I propose that we add a new workshop to the game that builders can build in CTF. It would be called something like a mint. Its purpose would be to provide a supply of stone and gold late game, and to allow players to use what they gather as a builder to get weaponry for being a knight.

What I suggest is that once you activate the "Trade" button, there would be four different options to choose from: Wood-To-Stone, Stone-To-Gold, Gold-To-Coins, and Coins-To-Wood. Upon choosing an option, 250 max (per click) would be taken from your supply of that resource. It would then go through a ratio convertor and be given back to you as the other resource. Say I choose Wood-To-Stone with 350 wood in my inventory. I lose 250 of it, and then an amount of stone (to be determined) would be given to me. This would allow for many interesting matches and blur the lines between builders and knights/archers.

I also suggest another button on the building, a "Sell" button. Upon using this button, anything in your hands would be sold and given back to your in coins. This would encourage scavenging on the battlefield for dropped arrows, bombs, mats and more. Thank you for reading all the way through, or in some cases, skipping to the bottom and assuming you already know everything about this.

2. Horse_That_Goes_Ni

Horse_That_Goes_Ni Your favorite Persian Staff Alumni Donator

I think this is a very good idea. I agree with you that at the ends of games, there tends to be barely any stone and gold. I'm pretty sure this "mint" idea came from a role play mod in classic if I'm my mistaken. Anyways, sounds good enough to be implemented.:thumbs_up:
    EDIT:Changed my mind, the games would be ten times longer and there would be no point gathering stone.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  3. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

I thought this already existed in TTH? I know it has at some point but I have always been a fan of it.

I have always enjoyed mongering seeds and having a huge surplus of wood at spawn. I think that sort of resource hunting is very overlooked in terms of the map design. I think being able to swap wood for stone would allow for more strategic resource fighting, and even though resupply at spawn seems to work I'd much prefer this system to the current one. dropping my current resources to pick up the max amount every 20 seconds is so fucking annoying i cant even --

4. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Just thought I should add this: in TTH you could add the suggested features to the trader's shop, or just revamp the trader's shop (Because it looks very messy as it is...).

5. Frederikam

Frederikam Drill Rusher

This will encourage saw- and drill spam.
    It will encourage builders to build on their home base, instead of building at the front.
    There are balance reasons why stone and gold is finite.

Fun ctf had a problem where you could sell expensive, easy-to-get flour for coins, and then spend those coins on anything, including building materials. Most people was building around the flag/base, as if it was some kind of sandbox.

Potatobird likes this.
  6. Boea

Boea Such Beta

How about localize trees to map center. (Cue Center Fortressing, but at least they'll be halfway to where they need to be.)
    And make the damn trees immobile.

7. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Why does everybody say that it will give builders 10 billion stone easily with sawmills? You can change the exchange rate to balance it. If you find that people are getting too much stone, just lower the wood to stone ratio!

8. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

In my opinion a Mint or a Material Exchange, would be a terrible addition to Capture the Flag. I think it would needlessly prolong games by; increasing the duration of stalemates, increased terrain erosion, reduced map control reward, excessive sandboxing from builders, etc, etc.

Rayne, rymcd, dual_chiecken and 3 others like this.
  9. there's a reason stone is finite.

actually supply drops with stone are already a big issue lategame imho.

10. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

In classic, Objects were able to be bought/sold for coins. Coins could be made from gold only! It worked and was balanced enough for non spamming towers.

emasame likes this.
  11. bout

bout Shark Slayer

That's a terrible idea. Imagine, you could just build everything out of wood and you can instantly get a lot of wood thanks to saws.

12. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

What part of that process would require the material shop? Unless, of course, you meant to say STONE... in which case I reply to you: you can change the exchange ratio to balance it. -_-

13. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

No swapping say 100 wood would get you maybe 50 stove maybe?

14. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

That would be an overpowered exchange rate, in my opinion. If I can easily get over 1000 wood, I can convert all of that to 500 stone, which builds me a terrific tower. Of course, only tons of testing would tell...

15. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

I think 1000 wood for 25o stone would be a fair exchange, and vice versa.
    Gold should be limited to hard to reach areas only

I like the idea of selling supplies for coins, I could see my self scavenging for arrows and bombs on the battlefield in order to get a ballista

16. This is a horrific idea to CTF the spam of stone, their would be no point in gathering any stone or gold when you can just trade in all the wood your getting
    Stalemates
    Abundance of all items in the game
    I always liked things when they were scarce and you had to strategize

DatNobby and Horse_That_Goes_Ni like this.
  17. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Well, you have infinite kegs, ballista, and bomb arrows, your problem?

18. You have to earn the money for those
    Basically everyone will just sit in the back of the base and just chop wood for these materials and if you can sell for money that too

19. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Nobody will be in the back of the base chopping wood 24/7. You are greatly dramatizing this. People are not fond of just sitting in their base doing a boring menial task. People want to either be A) In the action, fighting off the other team, B) Building a hardy castle far from the action, or C) Building on the front lines. The B people would be the only ones who might abuse the wood to stone / wood to coins stuff, but even then, guess who those people are: Minecrafters. The people that nearly everyone who plays KAG hates. So, not only would they rarely support the ongoing effort at the front lines, but they would be looked down upon by everyone. And even if wood spam becomes a problem, you can, once again, CHANGE THE EXCHANGE RATE TO BALANCE IT!!!!!! Thank you.

20. So basically your encouraging "minecrafters" to sit back and do more useless stuff, also encourage theft of materials from your own team in warmup also keeping all your items and selling it instead of helping your team.

Mods: Rainbows