1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Storm2D - Free Multiplayer Shooter (Windows, Linux & Mac)

Discussion in 'Other games' started by darDar, Jul 2, 2014.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

[​IMG]

Storm2D is a fast-paced and action-packed 2D sidescrolling multiplayer shooter
    inspired by Liero and Soldat. Download for free from http://storm2d.net/

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Trailer:

mockup of the new visuals:

[​IMG]

I have been working with a small team for the past few years on Storm2D, a game inspired by Soldat and Liero. Michal Marcinkowski has taken an interest in the project and has been supervising its development as an official Transhuman Design game. We are still using some content from Soldat (Interface, fonts, the trailer music, etc) which will be replaced as soon as possible. In the meantime however it can give the illusion that Storm2D is just a clone of Soldat. This isn't the case - Storm2D is a completely new game, with features such as destructible terrain, new game modes and multiple character classes. Storm2D isn't meant to replace Soldat, nor is it "Soldat 2". We are simply attempting to create a great side-scrolling shooter that takes the best from Soldat, Liero and other 2d games like Cortex command, Worms and Contra.

At this stage we're unsure about the direction we want to take. The majority of the time spent on the development of Storm2D has been building the core of the game, mod support and networking. Now that most of that is done, there's more time to focus on making the game unique. We're planning to add vehicles and extra gamemodes next, but we really need input from you guys on what you like and dislike about the game right now. Character classes have been difficult to balance, so we've made a separate mod for competitive gaming that has a single character class and is similar to Soldat. We're probably going to work on multiple mods simultaneously and just weed out the ones that aren't fun later.

You probably won't like the movement at first if you're a regular Soldat player, but just be patient - you'll quickly get used to it. Flips and rolls have been taken out while we perfect the movement physics, but we will be definitely adding them back in, hopefully soon.

Please try it out and let us know what you think!

Existing features:
    • Multiplayer online with official US, EU and AUS servers (Hosted by jrgp)
    • Works on Windows, Linux and Mac
    • Destructible polygon terrain
    • 8 Game modes including Zombies, Capture the flag and Deathmatch
    • Mod Support
    • Auto-update system

Planned features: (Ordered by priority)
    • Vehicles
    • Conquest and HQ Defence Gamemodes
    • Campaign Mode
    • Ingame Map Editor
    • Missions
    • Minigames

Roland Bewick
    Storm2D Lead Programmer

*text above copied by the main dev of the game*

If you ever missed features in Soldat you have the chance to get them added to Storm2D now by givving suggestions in the official Storm2D forums at: http://forum.storm2d.net
    If you think that you could help in any way (modding, mapping or anything else you could just get in contact with the main dev on IRC QuakeNet at #Storm2D and have a chat with him, or just make a post on the forums.

Note that this game is still in an early development stage (alpha), so things might not been polished out 100% and certain things are just used as a playground to test the possibilities out.
    This game does work on all common operating systems (Windows, Linux & Mac) and it's free to play.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    TeQaS, Malitha, goodyman8 and 6 others like this.
  2. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I seem to acquire ridiculous speed when rolling backwards.

3. p4raiba

p4raiba Bison Rider

KAG is dead. Now, They're killing Soldat.

Noburu and BlueLuigi like this.
  4. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

you can't kill a corpse.

Dargona1018, Noburu, Hawxx and 2 others like this.
  5. #occupyTHD #evildevelopers #killingesports

TeQaS, dnmr, Noburu and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hot damn, I need to play this.

miniu and darDar like this.
  7. darDar

what do you mean by "they are killing Soldat" ?
    How are "they" killing Soldat?
    I'm not sure if you read the post, because it says " " on the very top but I would be interested in your answer anyway.

Yeah, the movement is not polished out yet and feels kinda weird but it will be recoded soon obviously.
    [/quote]

8. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I tried to play this earlier and there was not a single player online

9. God this game is awesome.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 26, 2014, Original Post Date: Jul 26, 2014 ---
    Is there a way to see the stats of your team?

10. cepiarz

cepiarz Bison Rider
    1. Grey Wardens - GREY

I played this game for one hour.I think he is good action game ( like soldat ).I will be play more 8-)

11. Problem is no one is playing, always o servers o players.

12. sounds like kag to me.

Hawxx, icemusher and Apronymous like this.
  13. *Classic* Kag.

14. darDar

Well, yeah,..
    it's still in a very early stage and the game will change a lot so I guess we can expect players once those things happen (Beta)

15. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

The current problem of Storm2d is, that it uses the same old graphics as Soldat, has a worser movement (yet, i heard MM now works on that) and does lack of the barret (in current soldat public servers, #1 or #2 weapon being used)

Dont get me wrong, i am totaly excited about Storm2d, but when theres no vehicles, no better movement or a fresh graphic update. Then there's no reason for anyone to move from Soldat to Storm2d. (That also explains why nobody plays it currently)

Actualy, this game should've waited with becoming "public" some more i find, YET it doesnt attract me away from Soldat.

16. I just play the zombie mode ;o

17. darDar

NinjaCell likes this.
  18. Wargod-Loki

Wargod-Loki Haxor

ah, the picture is the planed graphics? Looks really appealing to me, if it'll be that style.

Playing Storm2d btw every update :wink:

19. I think I like the new art better.

20. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

We need to set up a time for a bunch of us to play, because there's never anyone on. :QQ:

Mods: BlueLuigi