1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Realm of the Mad God

Discussion in 'Other games' started by who, Jun 2, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. who

who Shopkeep Stealer

My friend who lives down the street from me plays this game a lot and is one of the top players. (his name is Hundred) And you wouldn't believe how seriously some of the other people take this game, a LOT of drama.

2. DarkDain

DarkDain Shopkeep Stealer

This is the game i was playing before this one, as of a couple days ago. I've lost alot of level 20's :o but i had a pretty good paladin that i wanted to max out but got shot gunned :( All the high tier mobs have shotgun attacks, they are all melee killers, kinda ruins it.

3. who

who Shopkeep Stealer

Game honestly sucks to me now, too many people. And a lot of faggots.

4. DarkDain

RotMG? Most people i've seen have been friendly, the new players are, but the 'veteran' players are kind of jerks. One thing that pissed me off was the Cube God Boss, its like, you cant solo him because he has an army of minions, but the boss himself can be solo'd, so what you have is a dozen or more people fighting off a legion of cubes, while one person will just go and kill the boss and get ALL the loot and credit, and he acted like it was fair.

5. who

who Shopkeep Stealer

Whenever I play, event bosses are killed in about .002 of a second by a rush of maxxed knights and wizards.

6. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

i mostly kill bosses when im like level 5.
    spay and pray space bar and drink mana potions ^^

7. DarkDain

lol were not talking about pirate lords or giant crabs XD

8. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Sigh, I might post my 'review' from the previous page on the forums. I wonder how much hate I'll get.

9. Strech

Strech KAG Guard Tester

I played this game for like 1 week every night for hours! I unlocked every class and beaten 3-4 times the mad god, then i got bored... xD Good game!

10. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

I keep dieing around level 13, damn I'm noob.
    Game needs PVP and empire building.
    Also rofl @ ppl frustrated about death in ROTMD, when KAG overworld is going to be permadeath too.

11. DarkDain

i lost alot of characters in a row at 15, its become my unlucky level xD.. Perma Death at lvl 20 isnt the issue, theirs stat potions you can get to permanently increase stats, people max out the stats of their classes eventually, losing a character like THAT really sucks. And the highest tier gear is soulbound and found in super hard dungeons AFTER beating oryx, so your risking your life very often x.x

12. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

I was in a nice group, just sprinting along the road killing everything as we zipped by it. Then Oryx appeared...... Once again I died at lvl 13 :(

13. DarkDain

Aww you dont have to fight him, you can retreat. But i would recommend attempting to fight him at low levels, the loot is nice, and its better to learn HOW to fight them when you have less to lose, than come in at lvl 20 and armed and not know whats coming. My first two oryx fights i was lvl 7 and 13 and i got loot for helping beat him, my wizard got a nice robe, 3rd best in the game <3 long since lost :( play fast and play dangerous !

14. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

This is a strangley addictive game. :P

15. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

I used to play this one - in fact, it's where I met Miaow, who since whisked me off to here. And everything he said was right- This game was way better in earlier builds.

Part is because of the size. There used to only ever be 30 or so people online at a time, with three servers- One with 20 people, the other 2 with 3-5 people if you wanted to solo around a bit or teach someone to play privately. When you were trying to max a class, as I was with wizards (which weren't as popular in the earlier builds), you knew everyone else who was good at the class, as well as the other people who had already maxxed. I remember Hooker the Wizard racing me to claim top-wizard status in a friendly not-so-competative competition. I remember Eric the Knight who never really talked that much, but always dropped his spare stat pots if you were hunting around him. Everyone knew Darnren the Priest was the best healer around, but the dozen or so Paladins that roamed the Realm would do in a pinch too (back then we thought a dozen was a lot!). Most people knew Miaow, who was so famous for dying constantly that his symbol was a gravestone in the forums. Newbies were fewer and farther between, and mentoring them became almost a sidequest. The top weapon for each class could be found in one night. and no one hoarded them- you could say in chat, "I need a mithril sword" and expect one by the end of the hour for free.

One of my favorite past pastimes were MAILWIZARDing, scurrying items across the landscape to midlevel characters in need while proclaiming my presence in all caps. This was before teleportation or quests were implemented, and most people were just surprised that someone went through the effort to run out and track them down in the wilderness.

I was the one who pioneered "rerolling" a character with low hp/mp, which is now common practise (how does the game still not have maxhp/maxmp pots?). If I hit level 19 and was unhappy with my stats, I'd gather a group of friends and we'd play Suicide Wizard- I unequip everything and run through the wilderness, trying to die, while they shot things to bring my experience up and protect me. I won if I died before level 20, they won if I hit level 20. Godlands were off limits, cube gods and other instant killers didn't exist.

As the Realm grew more crowded, though, I grew more reserved. A new generation of "elite" players started joining- with the new tiers of items as status symbols and the new ability to store everything, trading became a thing. It was harder and harder to know everyone, and newbies were just bottomfeeding beggars. During this time I re-emerged as [REDACTED], the silent Knight. I would not talk to anyone in-game, but I still kept about my ways of collecting good items for middling players, giving preferential treatment to those who thanked me and used good grammar. I gained a bit of a following, and was always considered a "trustworthy" player, as in, someone who wouldn't steal the loot. People always would greet me, and I responded with " " and ran in circles around them, which they loved. I had a lot of fun as [REDACTED]- When time came to choose a permanent name, I eschewed Zuboki in favour of [REDACTED] and kept silenting up the Realm.

I died as a nearly maxed Knight and left for a few months, and what I came back to scared me. The "waiting to play" area had as many players as the Realm itself once did. Difficulty creep was rearing its ugly head. The strongest non-boss enemies, who could appear in packs, got a 150 damage grenade attack in addition to their 100 damage fan attack (for reference, A normal character has around 650 hitpoints, and oh yeah permadeath exists). A few people were recognizable, less by their acheivements but more their costumes. Any threat was tackled by literal swarms of players. Nothing was free anymore- stat potions got rarer and rarer, as people could hoard them and trade for items just a little bit better than the ones they have (status symbols). I still maintained my [REDACTED] persona, which got a good laugh out of the odd player, but the social atmosphere was just gone. And that, to me, is what killed RotMG.

My moral? Enjoy our community, guys. Despite my only being here for a few days, I can tell that there's a lot of closeness, even though this game has a more competative edge to it. Because you can never tell when it's going to hit big, and you'll be reminiscing of the days like today.

</beinganoldman>

bunnie, Sir_Walter, Gofio and 11 others like this.
  16. Miaow

Miaow The Fanciest Pants always wins Donator Tester

*salutes*

17. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

Yeah this game is a life saver... during the studies i take nowadays i often end up with little to do after the main tasks are done. This game is great to kill time, managed to get an archer to lvl20, got into a giant mob of player who where shooting up them boss monsters like it was new years eve. then suddenly the entire screen shakes and we all get zapped to the endboss area. The ensuing battle was epic. The SHMUP skills I have attained through the years are a life saver. Dodging bullet hell barrages, Like a boss! :D

That....was....beautiful! *manly tear*

18. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

I got hooked on this game thanks to you guys... my catchphrase in-game is *facepalm* because of the amount of stupidity that occurs, I play on the USA east server not the aussie one (Because I am yet to find an Australian player who doesn't be a jerk) and can attain lvl 20 so easily that the game has lost any challenge ( <- Im complaining not bragging) and was going to stop playing... but a couple of guys found me and asked me to help them... now I lend my time to n00bs in need of help, I'm not sure if I'll stay on RotMG for long, but I'm playing as strongly as possible while I stick around... now back to RotMG!

19. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

So, this might be a bit of a necropost, but I'm really starting to get back into this game. Lots of members of our community have at least tried it as well recently, including Neat, Coughdrop, Rayne, Kouji, Noburu, Potato, and Boxpipe.

Wonkyth and Kouji like this.
  20. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Hmmm. I play RotMG also, and I've only just found this mysterious thread. :huh?:

Well, I mostly play on EUWest, because the EU is awesome to the extreme, and I am.... reasonable.

*heads to USEast2 and steals stuff from Zuboki*

Mods: BlueLuigi