1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Low Fps in latest patch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocinante, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower

Hesitant to put this in the bug section since I really don't know if it could plausibly be a bug or if the latest patch just pushed my cpu over the edge for whatever reason. Just asking if anyone else is experiencing this and what might cause it.

Getting erratic, all the over the place frame rates that often dip low enough to make it unplayable. I did not experience problems with my fps prior to this patch. I wouldn't say anything about it if that hadn't been the case.
    It's not specific to any server. Tried rebooting, that didn't help. Turned off the parallax background, that didn't help. It does seem to happen with more players but prior to this patch my comp could handle <32 player servers fine. Looking at the patch notes, I have no idea what changed that could cause this.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. 2-3 fps, but when it's not lagging it's 30fps easily?

Check whether one of your CPU cores is maxing out. If so, you've likely got the same bug I have.
    It happens if you are running an AMD CPU - bad driver software struggles to render two different teams at once. This bug is most visible in a server with >20 people, and occurs more commonly the closer you are to an opposing team member.

Mine's been doing this since about build 1000. The only solution is to update your video drivers, though if you're like me and are on a Toshiba that uses custom drivers and never updates, you're out of luck.

3. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Same problem. It used to be good but in the previous weeks my FPS dropped down to hell. With around 20 player it's fine, but on a full 32 player server I can't play the game, I can barely quit the server if I stay too long. Rejoining fixes it for a minute but the it starts again. I closed literally almost every running stuff in the background, except the ones that must run, just adds about +5 FPS.

4. Are you as mentioned above running an AMD CPU or GPU?

5. Horse_That_Goes_Ni

Horse_That_Goes_Ni Your favorite Persian Staff Alumni Donator

[​IMG]

6. Rocinante

One month later...

I have an intel core i7 somethingsomething. My laptop is a Toshiba, so that's encouraging. :rollseyes:

It's entirely possible that my ignorance got the best of me but I can't see any problem going on with maxing out a cpu core. I squinted really hard at all the task manager graphs! Maybe I should wait it out longer, in like an hour long 10v10 match.

Fire kills my framerate now. Just levels it. That never happened prior to patch 1080. But generally, in a full 20 player server or above, once it goes on long enough my fps will divebomb down to 10 in the thick of things. So more like 10 fps at its worst, but otherwise 30 fps easily, yes. So I guess my computer just can't handle KAG anymore? It's very frustrating to have performance just shit the bed for reasons that remain a mystery after one innocuous patch. I was hoping it would magically fix itself with the latest patch, but no luck.

It's entirely likely that 1080 had nothing to do with it but that's what I'm using to mark this change. I'll keep hopelessly squinting at task manager and doing useless detective work on google.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  7. Check if your CPU is maxing out at any time playing KAG.

8. Rocinante

Unless I don't know how to read the performance tab in task manager, then no it isn't. :huh?:
    Haven't posted since August cos I've become resigned to my fate but it's still just as maddening.

9. revsta

revsta Shipwright

same issue here. usually after a maps been up for a while and only in certain areas. have to quit the game.

10. Jprime

Jprime Shipwright

Does your laptop get warm/hot after awhile? I have an i7 laptop as well and laptops dont ventilate heat very well in general so mine still gets hot sometimes. It can lead to frame drops. If it does get hot, my solution to you is buying thermal paste at bestbuy or any other electronic store. Just apply it according to tuts and wala, decrease in temp by like 30 degrees C.

mcrifel and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  11. Hallic

Hallic Haxor

I have the same problem. CPU doesnt go above 20% and my ping is 0 to 33, yet when there are 14+ players the fps seem to be dropping(or when match goes on for to long). restarting game doesnt fix it when theres lot of players on the server.

. This has been an issue for a while now. Havn't heard anything about whether they be fixing it.

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator