1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

@Devs, free weekend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Klokinator, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Saw this topic and thought it had some merit, plus I doubt @Geti/the other devs ever get on the steam forums.

Edit: Just in case people aren't aware, a free weekend means people can download and play the game for free, but lose access after that weekend is over. It doesn't mean they literally get a free copy of the game for keeps.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/219830/discussions/0/35222218641591751/

2. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Set up a convo with xRush101 and I if you plan on doing this Devs :)

3. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

For what purpose?

Yagger likes this.
  4. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Obviously because that person is the most important person in the community.

Edit: Italics were added to denote sarcasm.

5. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

My response is the same it was on steam. We don't have nearly enough servers to support the thousands of players that would be on. griefing and vote-kick abuse would be out of hand because so many people wouldn't know what to do, and it would be disastrous.

6. TheDirtySwine

I'm getting recording gear in the near future and I need to work out dates with the Devs so I can post my tutorials in time

7. Auburn

>Thinks people playing during a free weekend read tutorials
    [​IMG]

Stevedog, Solaris, Sir_Walter and 8 others like this.
  8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Also, a good idea would be to make sure the communityis aware of the free weekend and to have lots of admins on the servers at all times so that the legit players can have fun.

Even if we don't have enough servers, we've got like, SERIOUSLY 50 servers online right now. Usually 3 are full and maybe 5 more have a couple people. I think we can handle it, and at the least there'll be tons of full servers for once.

9. TheDirtySwine

Well I'm not entirely stupid. A lot of people that end up liking it will probably buy it so :rekt:

norill likes this.
  10. Auburn

Just checked, and there are 63 servers. I'm estimating each one holds about 20 people (some more, some less, and some are passworded). 63*20=1260. Steam has 4000000 people online during the low times. I don't think we have nearly enough, considering I'm estimating at least one thousandth will probably try the game, and that's 4000. We don't have nearly enough servers to handle that load.

11. TheDirtySwine

What should we do? Not have a free weekend? I think it'd be great for the game I just don't know what we could do about the servers issue

12. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Ummm the devs could host a bunch of other servers? Other people could chip in to help out and get some other servers up and running? There are lots of possibilities and it's not like there's a limit to the number of servers you can have online, it just takes some money.

A free weekend coupled with a 25-40% off sale immediately afterwards could do wonders to making geti back any small amount of money he spent on said servers too.

13. Humblar_Tabulu

Humblar_Tabulu TURTLE Turtle turtle... Donator

If I had the money.... I would SO be down to host like 4 servers.

All for the community, ofc.

PanduhsFTW likes this.
  14. Auburn

Or how about a well-advertised weekend deal?

15. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Well-advertised? KAG? Hilarious.

Dargona1018 and PanduhsFTW like this.
  16. Said it already thousand of times - why not just do Quakenet giveaway? It's good advertise as well because people will check what is this game anyway, regardless whether they win in the giveaway or not and it might bring some players. And it could also bring some people over IRC channel.

Or even better. Do giveaway on Quakenet while game is on sale on Steam.

RadioActive and UnnamedPlayer like this.
  17. Warcrime

Warcrime Shark Slayer

*imagines tidal wave of new players joining*
    Well, good way to increase publicity and K/Ds but it may make the servers collapse in on themselves
    Good luck ::D:

18. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I kinda like this idea.

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fwiw this is on the to-do, it just requires a bit of work with valve and MM (the one with better contact to them) is caught up in other stuff at the moment.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Klokinator like this.
  20. Leo

Leo Haxor

It won't be like a million players trying to play the game ffs... At the most a few hundreds maybe.

RadioActive and Fuzzle like this.