1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Simple block suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by xRush101, Sep 23, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. xRush101

xRush101 Shipwright
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Could we get a hybrid block type that looks exactly the same as stone & wood (and the back walling) but has all the properties of bedrock in the way that it cannot be destroyed? I suggest because this would help out map makers tremendously. Currently you cannot build maps out of just wood and stone because bombs and kegs would destroy everything. You could make some pretty sick looking PvP maps using stone and wood as decoration for large structures. The ability to be able to build out of wood and stone that doesn't damage would be a huge boost for the map makers.

Obviously you wouldn't be able to place this block type in game unless you had admin privileges or were designing a map yourself.

If this were to getting implemented, prepare for some sick nasty dual arena maps.

2. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I would certainly like this. You can make the maps you're talking about with bedrock, but it'd look pretty ugly :X

3. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Yes, indestructible variations would be very nice for mapmaking! Perhaps they could look slightly more gritty(or smooth) to differentiate them from the normal tiles, so a map could have some parts destructible and some parts not without confusing the player.

Or another option, if you don't want to add a bunch of tiles, would be to have it be a gamemode which only allows players to destroy certain things like dirt, plants, perhaps wooden doors/platforms, and noobs. This would allow for indestructible structures, but also allow for the mapmaker to have the player destroy certain tiles for objectives (F.e. Challenge map that requires the player to grab bomb arrows to blow up a dirt wall to get through a castle).

I would suggest modding them in if the devs don't want to add them......however the devs never really gave us the ability to create proper custom tiles......::(:

xRush101 and norill like this.
  4. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

Wouldn't this just be dirt background and bedrock?

5. bout

bout Shark Slayer

No, because it'd look awful.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

A) custom tiles are coming with the TR engine merging that's going on atm
    B) I'm pretty sure there's some rules variable (ie gamemode.cfg) that turns off hitting tiles because someone wanted this in tdm; not sure if it ever got done
    C) I really feel like it should be one way or the other; you either don't want the map broken and are doing this for a pretty tdm map, or you want a single, clearly indestructible tile (ie bedrock).
    D) in KAG (not classic) lots of "map stuff" isn't actually tiles, and would require modding to become invincible (as simple as changing the maploader though for anything with generichit).

Either way, having sections of the map that are and aren't destructible could be achieved much more simply with a big no-build zone that's set up on map time (like the ones in halls, the tent and over flags). Try that out first.

7. Will see variety within maps.

8. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

I thought of something for this... if someone decides it's absolutely necessary.

Have new blocks defined that start as Stone/Wood block and deteriorate like normal but once destroyed becomes bedrock.

Have new blocks defined that start as Stone/Wood backwall and deteriorate like normal but once destroyed becomes dirt backwall.

Have it so you can place new stone/wood block or backwall over bedrock and dirt backwall at no cost.

Then somehow assign them new color hex values so you can build a map with them (then build the map).

That way they're in essence invincible, but it becomes very clear that you can't break them if you do manage to deal enough damage that it deteriorates the wall.

As for platforms, you may need to make a new "Bedrock Platform" tile so to speak, that just starts invincible. Same for traps, doors, ladders, spikes and whatever else you feel having invincible would make a cool map. Actually afaik most of the stone code, after completed, could just be copied over to mossy stone and backwall as well.

Another method would be to just replace the tiles once destroyed and have a 'magical essence' animation play after the blocks are destroyed which replaces the same block/backwall in the place that was destroyed. I'd recommend having an animation so that it's obvious that the tiles are renewing themselves (again, so you can show that the server is modded). This method is probably even easier... It would be similar though, have new blocks with new hex values that you need to place in maps that simply, on death, play an animation like something popping into existence, and then force reload the same tile in the exact place it was destroyed.

Mods: Rainbows