1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Keg Carrying (No Falling Off!)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by austinthus, Oct 2, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Okay, so almost all of us have had that shameful moment when an archer shoots the keg off of your back, and the enemy team runs off with it. I'm not saying to get rid of this, oh no, for this mechanic is too good. What I AM suggesting, however, is a somewhat balanced way to carry the keg without it falling off, but for a steep price: the ability to light it and quickly drop it.

The ability to "strap" on the keg (maybe with the use button, default "E", or something similar) and make it unable to get shot off would be awesome. The way I envision it working is as follows: the kegs behave as normal when a player is not carrying them, but they can either be picked up like a normal item, and they function as normal, or they can be strapped on, which takes a second (think catapult set-up timer, but maybe not so long) and disables lighting it from your back, but makes it stick to your back like glue. To light it, you would have to start a short timer similar to the equip one to take it off, and then you would just pick it up, light it, and throw it. Sound good? I don't care, but here's more!

There would be a short delay between taking off the straps and strapping it back on, to prevent accidentally re-strapping it to yourself, and, if the developers are kind to us, perhaps the keg could stick to your corpse after death if it's strapped on, resulting in hilarious corpse kegs!

Give me your opinion. Or don't. Your choice. But please read most of it before you do, if you do.

xRush101 and Klokinator like this.
  2. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I don't despise the idea, but how would you make sticking it on your back intuitive? Taking it off? Etc.

Also, what about lighting it, then quickly strapping it on your back, kamikaze style? Hold RMB and it can't be knocked off. Suicide bombers for dummies!

3. zampanothechimera

zampanothechimera Shopkeep Stealer

Yeah that mechanic would be good for insane kamikaze players like me
    Example
    Get a bomb put it in a your inventory run in a base
    putting a keg on and kill myself over enemy territory

4. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Klokinator: Well, testing would be required, but I think that it would be intuitive enough. With a small timer on putting it on/taking it off it would be kind of like setting it up at the enemy doorstep. Strapping it on would have to take a good enough amount of time so that kamikaze isn't TOO easy, but it isn't too hard, either. I imagine buying a keg, tapping "E" (default use key) and waiting a second, and then running off. After I get to the enemy base, I take it off, light it, and then strap it on if I'm not under attack, but if I am under attack, I just grab it with "C". You also have to consider whether or not the archer and builder should be able to strap it onto themselves as well.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  5. yellowwhy1

yellowwhy1 Catapult Fodder

EDIT: Put more information into your posts, last warning. -Gurin

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  6. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

What an intriguing entry into this intellectual conversation. Bravo, good sir, bravo!

7. yellowwhy1

yellowwhy1 Catapult Fodder

Hey if a poll was set up I would have put it there...

8. If your going to say no you could atleast explain why
    I for one think this isn't a terrible idea but I don't think you have explained what you can do whilst having a keg strapped.

Is it going to take up a slot where you can be holding something or..

9. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Seems kinda pointless, try pushing a keg when there base isn't covered in archers.

NinjaCell likes this.
  10. Next time please explain why, as -1 doesn't contribute to the discussion in any way.

11. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

dual_chiecken: The way it would work is this: Say a keg is on the ground just like normal, as if you had just bought it. By pressing the pick-up key (Default "C") you pick up the keg like normal, and you can light it, but it can be attacked off of your back. Now say there's no keg on you anymore, and there's a keg on the ground. If you hit the use key (Default "E") you begin to "equip" it. It functions similar to picking it up, other than these slight differences: It can not be lit, it can not fall off of your back, it must be removed with the use key. It would not take up a new inventory slot or anything similar. You just equip it instead of picking it up, and to light it, you must de-equip it and then go about lighting it as if this change hadn't been made. Perhaps, if we really wanted to shake it up, we could make picking the keg up disable your attacks and utility, but strapping it on to yourself would allow you to attack and stuff. I don't know, just tossing some ideas around here.

12. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

I see this as something that wouldn't be as used because, after all, you would have to take it off to put it on with it lit.

I would suggest something more like, you can't use your shield, or you are much muuuuch slower while holding it, or even unable to slash and jab with it Strapped on. I don't see it being unable to be lit as such a good idea, but having a debuff while having a not-able-to-be-taken-off buff.

This, at the same time, would be useful when moving up while there are archers, or while pushing. This would disable keg drops, and things of that nature, so it would be a good trade-off.

Also, @neil58 , that seal makes me feel all fuzzy inside. ;-;

neil58 likes this.
  13. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

If someone is trying to suicide keg the other teams base and have the keg strapped onto their back. This makes it nearly impossible to move the keg. Since you'd have to kill the guy, then get the keg which takes time therefore the keg blowing up not a safe distance. Or you accidentally slash the keg thinking the guy holding it is still alive, therefore blowing it up. (Think this feature is still in the game... Unsure tho

^even with having to take it off to light it... Guess it could depend on how long to strap it on.,, but keg timers are fairly long....

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  14. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Personally, I think it balances out nicely. In exchange for an almost guaranteed explosion against the enemy wall, you can't just light it. It wouldn't make sense for strapping it on to slow you down, and picking it up not to, but then again... when has King Arthur's Gold been realistic? (Laughs, slighty depressed in nature) At least we could (probably) make the keg stick to the corpse, and perhaps that could be at the top of the pickup list. Lit-keg bodies. Yep.

Dargona1018 likes this.
  15. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I think when I said this, people misunderstood me. I meant "Wow, this is a terrible idea that makes kegs impossible to stop!"

Just for clarification.

16. Arcrave

Arcrave http://tinyurl.com/ArcravesTheme Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

> Keg spam is an unstoppable issue
    > Geti doesn't know how to fix
    > Shark! how to fix!
    > "let archers shoot them off the backs of knights"
    > "awww yeah thats fucking good"
    :rekt:

17. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

>then people complain because they can't hold onto kegs anymore
    >they suggest making kegs literally cement to their backs
    >geti commits suicide because the retards can't make up their minds

PUNK123, Dargona1018 and toffie0 like this.
  18. >Thinks its good as it is
    > Wonders why the ">" has caught on

Mods: Rainbows