1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[203] Teamdoor elevators?

Discussion in 'Builder' started by Pyrowiz, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyrowiz

Pyrowiz Shipwright

What would you say to the idea of what I call an elevator, that is tunneling down maybe eight or more units, and filling this entire space (two wide) with team doors. Essentially it functions as an "elevator". Providing a way up from deeper tunnels but keeping enemies out, unlike what trapdoors would do. Trap doors make it easier as a team to get up and down than this "elevator", but they make it to easy for enemies to drop right in. Also the "elevator" is darkened when no one is in it so it makes it more difficult for enemies to know where the elevator leads to and even how deep the tunnel, or high rise, goes. Here are a few examples, one into the ground, the other two in a tower.

This first image is a view of a very large tower I made while simply in map editor mode. The elevator goes the full height of the tower, making it almost completely darked out at the back.

screen-11-11-10-23-07-37.png

This is a zoomed in view of the tower elevator.

screen-11-11-10-23-07-21.png

As seen in this third image, An enemy would hardly even notice that the two tunnels are connected at first glance because doors appear dark when not in use.

screen-11-11-10-23-10-02.png

2. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This 'elevator', is not as good as the bridge one, it's very slow to go up and down and mostly just useless not to mention a huge resource dump.

It's very slow, and it's too expensive (4o a block!).

Team bridges make better elevators as only YOU can go up but your enemy can fall down, so keep that in mind. If your team aren't 'special', you can spike pit bottom a little deeper than your lowest 'floor' on your elevator to stop enemies a bit.

3. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

This structure has 2 fatal flaws:
    1. It is quite slow to travel through teamdoor elevators
    2. Its way, WAY too expensive to build. Even if you had the materials for something like this it would be better spend elsewhere (building workshops for example).

4. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

It was kind of useful previous to the team bridge update. Now in comparison it's much more efficient to use team doors with a straight slideable wall to move down. Even better to use two or so ladders as the very bottom which safety net you when you drop through all those layers.

5. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Or, alternatively, make a bottomless pit at the end!
    More funny that way!
    ^__^

Noburu likes this.
  6. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

It wont work when 2+ people try to use i know from experience.If 1 goes up and the other down they both go down.If both go up they stay in same place.Test it.

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You can both go up, but it'd just be slow.

8. IloveElectro

IloveElectro Base Burner

Bad idea because..

1: Cost 40 wood ( WHUT 40 woods TOO MUCH)
    2: Ennemies can pass through your team doors ( Then you will say omfg hack3R,Ch3eAt3R!)
    3: Very bad idea when your teamates are on the same ''elevator''(Then you will say...FUUUUU MOVEEEE)
    4: Eat chips salt n vinegar and listen to electronic music to get ''ELECTRO POWER''

Then die in the pit of Wonkyth and he will laught!

Wonkyth likes this.
  9. Baron_Norab

Baron_Norab KAG Guard Tester

I already loathe team doors, as people love to put like 5 or 6 in a row. The elevators are more effort than they are worth as well, and are also quite slow.

10. Wonkyth

Yeah, I vote this experiment a failure, and can be locked to sink to the bottom of the pages.

Ej likes this.
  11. Pyrowiz

Pyrowiz Shipwright

Hahaha, alright I get the picture guys. Good point on the resources. I wasn't thinking about that at the time cause I was in map editor.

12. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Resources aren't a great issue if you do this during the build phase, but i would only bother doing it to create a stockpile of wood, not an elevator.

13. Wonkyth

Wood stockpiles are more efficient as uncompleted quarters.

14. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Not if you want to save space, for whatever reason.

15. Wonkyth

And you think that doors take up less space than a little ladder going up into a bunch of quarters blocks?
    Just put it behind the base, where nothing else should be built anyway. (Yes, I'm looking at you, skybridgers!)
    Regardless, this was supposed to be an elevator, not a form of wood storage.

Discussion over.

16. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

yea well as an elevator it's pretty bad

17. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

Yeah its derailing, I gonna close this thread. The whole storage thing might be interesting to discuss in the builder discussion or its own thread.

== Locked ==

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.