1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KOTH

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by mcrifel, Oct 7, 2014.

?

Add this new game mode?

1. Add this game mode!

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. Don't add this game mode!

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Don't add this game mode but add a other gamemode!

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

Would have preferred making a new thread but editing this one should do just fine.

Since there is a chance of getting a new game mode in KAG I want to propose king of the hill. It would work very simple.

1 hall in the middle of the map, the hall when captured gives your team points over time. First team to a certain amount of points wins.

The hall shouldn't be a spawn point.

The game mode uses tents and shops with coins like in CTF. There should be a small 80 - 100 second warm up phase to setup shops.

It would be impossible to have a stalemate on this game mode as there is surely always someone controlling the hill and gaining points. Also you will have less "minecrafters" who sit back at base as even they will see that building a big base at spawn isn't very useful and making a big base at mid is way more exciting.

I think this could be a very fun game mode to play and probably wouldn't take long to make either and there are quite a few things you can do with the maps, for example you could add 2 hills and make it more of a capture the points style map.

So I play a lot of KAG you see, but I want to play something different then TTH, CTF or TDM (admit it, no one ever does challenges). I thought of an idea. So basically in this king of the hill game mode the objective is to capture the middle hall and hold it for a certain amount of time. So its one team attacking and the other team defending. (i know i am a terrible explainer but i hope its clear what im trying to say)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

What if I tell ya I played sth like that? Zen-Labz is working on Invasion mod. There're at least two servers with this mod. Our Black Death Invasion server and one hosted by Zen Labz (?).
    You should check them out.

3. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Well, Invasion is more like, one team defending, one team trying to defeat them, with 2+ cores to destroy.
    But yea, Invasion is pretty kickass.

Anyway, [/offtopic].
    I think that King of the Hill has been suggested before, like, a bunch, but I am probably wrong. I don't think that something like KotH would be added into Vanilla, but a mod might work.

4. CheeseBread

CheeseBread Catapult Fodder

The problem is it's way too heard to break defenses within a certain time.

Or it could be like theres a centre hall, with spawns on both ends of the map, and once a team takes the hall in mid, the enemy team gets to spawn at both ends, the defenders spawn at mid. Once the hall is taken, the owners spawn mid again with the other team spawning on the outer points.

5. mcrifel

1. MIST

That does seems better.

6. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

then theres also the fact that the 1 time i played invasion @kedram camped right at the border and rekt me everytime i tried to gain ground

7. Also I think it would be interesting if their was an effect where you can only build on your side (between the tent and the point)

Will determine who. Has a greater force

8. yellowwhy1

yellowwhy1 Catapult Fodder

I was thinking of changing it to somthing similar to this but I would like a literal hill and on top of of it there is a defined zone where if the team stands in it for like 5 minutes they win it would speed up but if a member of the opposition is in the zone the time resets until killed

9. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

entire thread
    tl;dr

but the idea seems good, though the current mechanics of kag would probablycaus a little imbalance translate to a huge one in this gamemode.

10. mcrifel

1. MIST

Lets have a new discussion on this, I remade the original post, also now i am looking at that old poll I should have said "another" instead of "a other"

11. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

What you're thinking is that there's a blue side and a red side, with this hall in the middle? I have to say I'm not that fond of the idea, I think. Holding a place on the map which is located higher vertically, has an "automatic" strategic advantage. Secondly you'll have a sort of secondary hold-out on the side of the map, which isn't fruitful when it comes to holding the hall.

I would instead suggest that the teams spawn on each side of the map only when the match starts, with very little time (or none) to build anything. When the hall is first captured by one team, that hall is turned into that team's spawn, while the enemy team spawn at both sides of the map. Now the team holding the hall will have to protect both fronts. Perhaps this mode shouldn't even have the builder class enabled. Building outside the hall would turn into the enemy's advantage when the table turns (a permanent trader would be better), and shops at the hall would again increase the advantage of that position, making it very hard to retake. A long one-sided match is no better than a long stalemate, in my view. Perhaps even worse.

bunnie likes this.
  12. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

It sounds pretty cool if the maps were made so the hill is actually more like a pit.

13. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Just saying, KOTH is just a name. The map could as well be normal (flatty with interesting mid) or even be a pit with hills NEXT to mid (so you'd have to make a bunker and survive the keg explosions for as long as you can). I agree that the hall should be a spawn point, but I think that KOTH needs to include builders to be fun in the long term. I actually now really want to play an official KOTH made and balanced by @Geti

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  14. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

That's a risk the defending team should be willing to take in order to hold back the attackers. If it fails then it is the defender's fault for not defending well enough and the enemy can then use it to their advantage.

Some questions I have:
    - Will all shops be neutral or team coloured?
    - If the shops are neutral, can anyone break the shops regardless of who made them? This might cause accidental bomb griefs.
    - If the shops are team coloured, how will the game decide which shops to switch when the opposite team captures the hall?
    - In regards to CheeseBread's idea - At the very beginning will each tent be like normal CTF but once a team captures mid they both switch to the attacker's colour?

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I feel like a simpler incarnation would be worth getting off the ground to see if it's worth doing all the extra fancy stuff.

Could just have a region in the middle of the map that counts down a timer for each team when they hold the majority in there, a HUD displaying the current balance and timers (synced from the server), and that's about it. No hall, no map restrictions, and could use the existing CTF shop mechanics (with maybe a slow passive income in the contested area).

Regarding "king of the hill" needing a hill; could be called something to do with territories instead.

FuzzyBlueBaron and SirDangalang like this.
  16. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

How about, let's see... Territory Control? :rollseyes:

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  17. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

I agree with Geti, at least to just test out the basics.

Here's another thought. What if this "territory" was an area where some kind of package drops at set intervals. The teams don't need to "hold" the territory per se, but have to grab the package and bring it back to their home base. The team that brought home the most packages after a certain time wins the game. Not quite "King of the Hill", but more like a variant of CTF.

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  18. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Seeing as holding a hill is almost always easier than taking it (say hello to unfun, one-sided struggles on a regular basis), could always kill two birds with one stone and go with KOTV? ::P:

19. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Haxor Staff Alumni

Maybe it can probably be like team fortress 2's control points. The more players from the same team on a point, the faster it will capture, though only to a limited extent.

20. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

I've been fiddling w/ the idea of a Capture the Points (better names are welcome) gamemode for some time now. It'd be derived directly from CTF (w/ no modifcations to prices / blocks / shops for consistency) and only replace flags w/ tickets and capturable points. Tickets would decrease over time, say 1 ticket / x amount of seconds. Respawning would cost 1 ticket. Being in control of a point would decrease the amount of tickets lost (maybe even nullify it if in control of all points). Once a team hits 0 tickets it's over. A rather simple concept.

W/ CTP it would be possible to create KOTH (1 capturable point) maps.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Blue_Tiger, epsilon and FoxyLady like this.
Mods: Rainbows