1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Map-making Contest by Daskew and Guro

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by Guro, Oct 12, 2014.

1. I might get a 10 outta 10 on TDM now. prepare your asses for the rekage. Also, I have some wild cards to send on the last day.
    Git rekt m8 :rektlord:

2. started my WIP today:
    screen-14-10-25-17-40-49.png

e: also why is SBC rating anything

Guro and Joiken like this.
  3. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

There should be a server hosting Pass_Fest 24/7, any volunteers?

4. No 8x, ur bade

5. awesomedudesam

awesomedudesam Builder Stabber

My new map called apocalypse.

Attached Files:

6. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

1. That is a long map
    2. How many sharks are in that lake???

7. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

What lake?

Oh, you mean that blue area? That's actually a pit full of sharks

8. awesomedudesam

2 sharks and no its not long

9. Nivlac_13

Oh I see, the rest must be fishes or something. Also its over 400 pixels long

10. can i enter maps that haven't been published on the forums as resources?
    or maps that have been published as resources but have undergone meaningful faceliftings

11. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

Has to be newly created maps for the competition.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 31, 2014, Original Post Date: Oct 26, 2014 ---
    Oh my oh my oh my oh my...

A little 'someone' has come along and shaken things up a bit ::D:

CTF map Leaderboard.png

TDM map Leaderboard.png

FULL MAP IMAGES

apocalypse - 5.05
    apocalypse.png
    I'm liking the uniqueness of this map. The strange "apocalyptic" structures are pretty cool. On the downside though the dirt caves need to look a bit more natural and the map is FREAKING HUGE!!! It will be a great addition to "Map Maker's Corner" though, and I look forward to playing on it.

chambers - 7.35
    chambers.png
    I'm very pleased with this one. It's now the current number 1 and with good reason. People you need to look at this to see some of the things that score highly here.
    It looks beautifully natural. The eye-candy is very pleasing. The rooms add excellent strategical value. The only thing I would say is that this map is playing it quite safe - it's fairly flat and there arent any crazy-ambitious gimmicks being worked into this, though some of the time KAG-players like simple maps.
    Last word: Very Aesthetically pleasing, strategically viable, simple map.

JoikenTDM1-Edited - 6.95

JoikenTDM1-Edited.png
    Ah so Joiken decided to improve this map from before to see if he could squeeze a better score out of it. I personally felt it came out about the same in quality; some parts were improvements, and others I thought were a retrogression. I scored it the same as before, but Guro saw it differently and the score went up from 6.5 to 6.95.

The two new CTF maps have been added to the EU server "Map Maker's Corner".

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    3p1cL0bster and Joiken like this.
  12. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

I commend you for your coverage of this contest. I enjoy reading the commentary you have for the maps. Good work!

Joiken and daskew87 like this.
  13. awesomedudesam

bottomofthesea.png
    I tried to make this map different then all the others. I put all the ores at the very bottom of the water so you would have to make an underwater mine to mine it and then the other team can flood it so you have to protect your mine really well. I also tried to make the gap to get into your base really wide so it doesn't turn into a stalemate by people blocking that off. In the middle of the map there is a row of blue mines and a row of red mines and two sharks to stop people from rushing and then I added 1 shark on each side in the area where the water is the highest so the middle doesn't get flooded as soon as the game starts.

14. Nivlac_13

Stalemate central! We have a spoon winner. So to get any ore you have to build some doors out of easily destroyed wood on the bottom of a massive lake while being persued by 4 sharks? Then to get to the enemies flag you have to cross that giant lake without drowing while being chases by sharks then avoid mines surpass the presumably wooden defenses of the enemy grab the flag and do the whole thing in reverse?

daskew87, PUNK123 and Joiken like this.
  15. daskew87

Pehaps it's a James Bond map ::D:

PUNK123 likes this.
  16. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

Erm, i'ma making a map now, I will duble post it below
    But how do we test out maps out?
    I already know how to test it out on sandbox, but how can i check the spawns/flags?

Btw, If you try the pallet, The red Primary spawn is a Red hall._.

Edit: Fixed the Map And fixed the spawns ._.

I would call this one "Meh"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  17. daskew87

Announcement:

:eek:

...NEW LEADERBOARDS COMING SOON TO A WEBPAGE NEAR YOU...

(With some new entrants, high-scoring maps, and some enthralling re-arrangements of BOTH leaderboards)

(PLUS the unveiling of an exciting new competiton category!)

Tune in tomorrow to find out ::D:

lol

Shadowor and Joiken like this.
  18. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

Background music : star wars

I think that would work for the post above

19. daskew87

Current CTF leader-board

Things have been shaken up. But don't worry, in the background there is a very calming green colour :wink:

CTF map Leaderboard.png

FULL MAP IMAGES (of newly submitted CTFs)

Bottom Of The Sea - 3.65 by Awesomedudesam
    bottomofthesea.png
    Well what can I say here. I would love to try out this map as a break from the norm. This is a wild-card if I ever saw one.
    However it's just not a usual competitive map. There might even be a lot of interesting skills involved in playing this one, but a lot of Kaggers just wouldn't have the patience. Swimming in water can get tedious after a while. This is why it's normally used sparingly on most maps. The ideas presented here though show some good thought-processes.

King Arthurs Palace - 6.6 by Shadowor
    KingArthursPalace.png
    I really like this one. The middle part is pretty good looking and is such an important strategical point to capture. The eye-candy is done right. The water pits at the bottom throw-in some nice diversity.
    There really isn't much wrong in this picture here and Shadowor has certainly made his best CTF yet.

Meh - 6.45 by Vamist

Meh.png
    When I first looked at this map my eyes lit up. I then found out soon after that Vamist is a very new mapper - which made my feelings even better. The patterns in the middle and use of blocks are excellent. You can tell he clearly has a great artistic eye. So I've said so many good things about this map, but why then is it not higher than a 6.45? Well...
    The middle structure is too uneven. I'm not saying it has to be perfectly symetrical, not at all. But IMO the left side has a distinctive advantage, and can build a nice defensive wall combined with dirt much easier than the right. Also I think the islands in the middle are too high considering the relatively short width of the map.
    What I see here is a lot of potential, with some difficult shortcommings.

The three new CTF maps have been added to the EU server "Map Maker's Corner".

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    Guro and Joiken like this.
  20. Fak, now I can't procastinate and I need to make maps...

Guro likes this.