1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Player Retention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tern, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

lol "This is about keeping players" Remember that time we got new players? "Oh god, the horror..."

Noburu, Dargona1018 and UnnamedPlayer like this.
  2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

i think we can put this thread on freeze since kag is in the humble flash bundle and since we basically ran outta ideas

3. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

What :ehh:

4. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

all the posts are basically just people chatting we arent even on topic

and yea the humble flash bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/flash
    its also an announcement

5. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

Dargona1018 and PUNK123 like this.
  6. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Heh, ikr?
    I just meant that there would be a huge amount of people coming in and screwing around in-game, not knowing how to play, instead of those people that come on their lonesome, able to be taught.

Also, yea, the community is usually very hypocritical, and I am not even the worst when it comes to that stuff. :wink:

Holy shit-balls.....

Well, okay.. Let's hope that these people would be willing to actually learn things.
    Gaming these days = easy mode, and this is an older-style skill-based game.
    But we can only wish to get ones who like that kinda thing.

7. revsta

revsta Shipwright

To me of course the number one priority is the community being nice to people, but--

The major issue with KAG is that is has a steep learning curve. I don't mean that it's hard to learn how to swing a sword or shoot an arrow, but there are a lot of things people won't know when they start that have an enormous affect on the game. Like:

Bodies keeping doors open.
    Walls needing backing or they come down.
    How to build a two block "tree farm" + saw.
    How to bomb jump.
    How to float as a knight.
    How to use trap blocks instead of ladders for your team to get up towers.

The list is longer than this, and it's not like these are amazingly hard things to learn, but they do take time, and they do have a big effect on how you feel when you play the game. A friend of mine who joins me to play a lot is still learning things that affect his game play, and it's one of the reasons a lot of people who don't have a friend to play with them will stop playing.

FuzzyBlueBaron, Dargona1018 and Beef like this.
  8. ieatpieandlikepie

ieatpieandlikepie Drill Rusher

BUT THAT STUFF IS AMAZING. AMAAAAAAAZING

How does anyone not know how to swnig a sword anyway. Thats just stupied. Just learn from others and JUST ROLL WITH THE game.

9. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

So that's who made that menu

DatNobby and dual_chiecken like this.
  10. Jprime

Jprime Shipwright

@ternary I wouldn't mind seasonal perks, like how the devs added falling hearts just for V-day. For christmas, they could make the shopkeeper into Santa with the outfit & all and maybe a bit of snow layin around lol. I think it would keep the game fresh and have players believe that the game is still relevant because of "new" content (even though it doesn't affect gameplay). Other games have done it and it seemed to work fine

DatNobby, Fuzzle and Tern like this.
  11. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Great idea.
    @Geti

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I do actually get notifications from topics I've posted in you know :^)

We've done a few seasonal perks, though most of them have been in the past - the pumpkin and santa-hat heads were originally introduced as one-day replacements for the default head. We should probably look into automating some of that stuff to switch on each time a holiday rolls around, but generating new content each time too (like shopkeepers in various festive get-ups) is a nice idea.

Solaris, Jprime, Dargona1018 and 4 others like this.
  13. Jedi13

Jedi13 Shipwright

That paired with your avatar... pricless.

14. revsta

revsta Shipwright

You should take a page out of the TF2 devs book, but I'm sure you're all way too busy with your next projects, which are going to be amazing.

15. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Yeah, I wish there was unlockable heads from kills/caps/etc.

16. DionDiBlank

DionDiBlank Catapult Fodder

When I first started playing one of the biggest things that made me stop playing was Uber pro players wrecking everyone. I don't mean just someone being good, I mean some of these people were one man armies and would kill everyone on our team. That pissed me off a number of times and I quit but still came back every now and then because I loved the gameplay when you weren't getting stomped. Since then I've gotten a lot better and can take on said 'uber' players.

One thing that definitely prevents small communities from growing is the die-hard pro fans that wreck teams. Another way to get people interested is to have unlockables and stats. Regular updates as well.

17. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

yeah, which kag has neither of those 2... idk, sometimes I rek and sometimes I'm one of those people on the team that's getting rekt, (yes I can kill so called "uber players" .) hard to describe if I have skill.

18. DionDiBlank

DionDiBlank Catapult Fodder

After reading near enough the whole thread I seen one admin that didn't like the idea of achievements or levels but would still consider them.

One of their worries was that doing these might break gameplay where people quest to do certain things to gain said achievements or more XP, rather than focus on playing the game. If done right, it shouldn't derail anything. Why not make leveling basic? For knights, XP would be granted from player damage (not kills, that would just start kill stealing flame wars) and destroying enemy structures. Archers the same. Builders the same but they can be a bit problematic. Rewarding them XP for placing down blocks may make builders just place down random blocks of no function. There'd have to be a solution for this thought out and I've spent some time thinking about it but haven't come up with something fool-proof. Maybe the best idea would be to just let them get XP from placing down blocks but make an overall rule that the winning team's builders are rewarded an exclusive XP multiplier - that way they'll actually TRY to win than do retarded things.

Another nifty unlock system I was thinking about was from an RTS game I used to play. Through playing the game you would get a chance for a random 'card'. Sometimes you'd get no cards, sometimes you'd get multiple. Winning rounds gave you higher chances for more cards and rarer ones. These cards allowed you to apply small passive buffs to units in the game. You were only allowed to use 6 but it allowed people to strategise what cards they would want to use.

An example could be one for a keg:
    After playing a round you were randomly rewarded a 'passive card for keg'. You go to your inventory of cards and decide to equip it into one of your six available slots so that any rounds you played thereafter would use that passive buff until you decided to switch it out.
    These passives could come in three rarities (maybe even more): common, rare, epic
    Having a common card may make your kegs discounted by 10 gold bringing it down to a price of 110.
    Rare may discount it by 15, an epic may discount it by 20.
    That's an example and could extend to many different things: cheaper blocks, cheaper arrows, cheaper shops, extended bomb radii, longer stun duration on water bombs, etc etc

I think a system like that would add a lot of fun and diversity to the game. Some may shout imbalance, but the buffs are usually small and could make the game more appealing.

Tern likes this.
  19. levels would only make uber players even more uber. that's a terrible idea. achievements, on the other hand, have only benefits (if done right)

20. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I still think unlockable heads, don't change gameplay and could be rewarded for things different that kills, like damage you said, and caps, as for builders, idk how to make a anti-farmable way of doing that, builders already get little gold for placing blocks, random or not, so maybe you could get a head for placing A LOT of blocks, more than you could with spam, and maybe more expensive blocks would have different values? (e.g. workshop would get you closer to the head than placing a stone block.) although obviously farming is still applicable there, idk but they need to make this game better for newbies and people that aren't really good.