1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dead game is dead...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leo, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PorkChop808

PorkChop808 Catapult Fodder

Many of your post are about how Dead the game is.

2. revsta

revsta Shipwright

No shit. And many of them are suggestions as to how to not make the game dead. Go elsewhere this is pointless.

3. PorkChop808

There is no need to cuss it just makes you look unintelligent But, yes talking with you is pointless.

4. revsta

revsta Shipwright

Yes, all the other people talking, including the devs, blaming everything about this game on lack of marketing is real intelligent.

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because of the marked (by several others in this thread, not to mention elsewhere) pessimism and sheer negativity that you've a habit of radiating? Hmm... :huh?:

This is me giving you a friendly suggestion that you pull your head in a bit, revsta; on account of you're making yourself out to be a bit of a tit, atm. An annoying, rude, and bitter tit at that. We wouldn't want everyone to hate you, now would we? I seem to recall that the last person to achieve that particular goal left the forums on awkward terms; isn't that right, @Vanguarde?

icemusher likes this.
  6. revsta

revsta Shipwright

Everyone here says that, but NO ONE has any answers other than "the game is fine, law. Bunch of shitters complaining. Just needs more marketing."

Or am I wrong? I'm all ears.

edit; maybe i will leave the forums. every time I try to discuss anything, or see anyone else doing the same, it gets shut down. i'll leave my original points about game needing balance, marketing, bug fixes and a less hostile community, and you guys can not discuss it and continue to insult me. that's fine. i'll continue playing for kicks and hope the game picks up. it's a good game at its core, it's just suffering from neglect, bugs, bad learning curve, some balance issues and a shit community.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Fernegulus and 8x like this.
  7. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

My apologies, revsta, but on the suspicion that you've mistaken me for someone else I'll put this as lightly as I can:

Please go bore someone else.gif

This topic is circular by nature and you've shown (in this thread at least) that you have a hard time not being willful and overbearing. Until you prove otherwise I cannot conceive of a world in which I could have a conversation with you and come away from it feeling even remotely satisfied. Good day.

8. PorkChop808

I agree with there being major bugs that need to be addressed. CTD ever 15-20 mins is a game breaking bug that happens to everyone i have talked to. As far as marketing goes they are on steam What, more do you want? Steam is the best place for a game to be thats on PC IMO. Personally i enjoy a game with a steeper learning curve yea, it might scare some people away but thoes people can go back to WoW and be spoon feed a gaming experience. hostile gaming community?? Welcome to the internet...... best thing to do is not feed the trolls.

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  9. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Best way to make dead game alive is to have a thriving community.

This community isn't really receptive to new players or people doing anything besides the norm. That's what I see is stagnating the game. It's become a cycle that people are bored with. There is only one way to build towers now. There is only one way to play archer. Etc. etc. people needed the freedom to explore and experiment.

The only reason why I am able to get away with half the experimenting I do in game is because I'm a guard. But seriously if someone is building something and even if it looks like shit don't correct them on it. Just try to adapt and play with it. This is a team based game. You can't be the home owners association and dictate how the buildings should look like. Yeah the game has bugs. Yeah it has issues. But it's the community that needs work.

The game has entered a state where people feel that they cannot do new and exciting things. The wtf factor and the awe is at an all time low because the community dictates the "right" way to play. People are bashed for having fun. People are bashed for having horrendous k:d. People are bashed for using ladders. People are bashed for using gold. This community has a problem and that problem is it's lack of openness. Everyone and I mean everyone has their own style of play. And when people do not conform to their style they get mad. This game is about the freedom to build in a sandbox like environment and fight in it. Well the community has it's own fucking building codes and people who do not conform to it are banned, kicked, or voted out of matches.

Tl;dr moral of the story is, you most likely did not go to college to study engineering. And if you did kag isn't real life. So fuck off with your criticisms.

10. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

From this side, it's nice to see you posting and I kinda get your points. The game needs more tweaks, cleaning, and the community could use some more brains sometimes. I'm also with fellere in the point of the game needed more liberty from the players. Sometimes I see a builder doing something I don't agree with, and my first thought is to get at him, which is wrong. Even if these guys are building awfully, we should leave it or try to help, as they're experiencing the game, learning and trying to have a fun time. We should be more patient in such situations. For those who lose their patience with the newbies > serious matches and trainings with clans >
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/the-major-league-kag-is-alive-mlk.21871/

On the forums, a recomendation: filtering. There's really a lot of text that does not add new ideas or points, good criticism or positive things. As it happpens in the internet, you somehow learn to filter the info. I'm completely confident about this: there's a lot of gems in this community. The baddies, the griefers, the trolls, etc end up banned or left in a corner, some of them leave some of them change. But there's good people that make good things happen.

11. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Well I'm somewhat standing on your side @revsta
    The game is awful and the community is awful.
    Hard to say which one is worse.
    The game is awful and I covered most of it once in a post.

The community is very awful, especially the EU part. That's why i find playing on US servers more fun despite having 0,2s ping difference.
    Everyone is being a shitter, measuring the worth of a man by his skill in KAG.
    Thus, being hostile to the new players. KAG community is turning into CoD fanbase.
    And it's not a strange thing; it's really hard to keep patience, because often it's the newbies' fault.
    They're so fucking often like
    "Hey, you probably shouldn't be building that there, move to the front"
    and the noob is like
    "fuck off u dont tell me wht to do mothrfucking fagot cunt"
    Yeah. Helping those ones.
    It's hard to find a newbie with brain fuctionality higher than an ant's. The smart ones learn fast and stop being newbies.

All of this might make no sense I didn't sleep well today.

12. Vidar

Vidar KAG Guard Donator Tester

Through all of it's variant adaptations, it's been fun watching King Arthurs Gold go from an amazing concept to the really rough diamond it is now.

My honest evaluation is it's a game that while fun 50% of the time, has many bugs, crashes and freezes often, and over 3 years has not settled into fleshed out game play. Half the time it is infuriating.

To speak plainly, for the type of financial success this game has seen, it should not be in the state it is right now. Without knowing where the game is headed (is this close to the final product?) I often feel this game is abandoned from an improvement standpoint. If improvements are made, from a player standpoint it feels like it's 3 steps up, 2 steps down, with the occasional 10 steps down. It feels like it's a giant experiment, anything can come or go at anytime. Many times I wonder how some of these feature and game play choices were made.

As optimistic as I have tried to be in these posts it's just the honest truth of how I feel as a long time community member. It's not possible to pretend about certain things anymore.

I still see it on sales, in bundles. Occasionally there will be an influx of players but the population always dies down again very quickly. My enjoyment of KAG fluctuates so frequently. In the past year it's been exponentially more infuriating then the year before it. You could have a good 10 minutes of bliss followed by glitch after bug followed by the game crashing. Two hour stalemate games where people just quit or the timer runs out with no resolution.

The concept of KAG is a 10/10. It's current form, based purely off of the game alone is around a 6.5 for me. It's been much higher before, and countless posts have touched base over and over on what needs to be done to make this attractive to retain a player base.

It is impossible for me to recommend this game to friends or loved ones in its current form. That was not always the case. It's had versions where I felt things were looking up, getting better, improving. But it's just become cyclical, over and over, with bugs and lag, with crashes and unnecessary feature creep.

It's repeating the same life cycle as alpha did. The community we have now is more of a mob, but it's still not the main problem.

It pains me to say so, but in my humble opinion KAG is a middle line game in it's current form. I would dare to call it a bad game in several instances because of all it's bugs and crashing. That's why so many people have moved on for good or buy it, thinking it's something it's not, or not impressed, never to play it again.

I think people buy it thinking it's going to be comparable to terreria, only to find it's incredibly buggy, still unbalanced (although steps have been made to begin to remedy this), extremely hard to learn, and, the icing on the cake is the off and on venomous nature of the community. New players enjoy building things, but find out quick that the expectation is to win in a team based, objective based war game, and not build things that don't help, and many times hurt the team.

Anonymity, the expectation of teamwork and fervent competition are potent ingredients for hostility in a video game. Take any MOBA and see how much fun it is interacting with those players in live time as a newcomer. Most any competitive human being is going to react unfavorably to teammates who don't help the team, and this being the internet it's amplified exponentially. It's partly the community, but it's mostly human nature. Besides being nicer as a community, the broken mechanics and glitches are not community responsibilities. Customers pay for something with the expectation that it works. If we were in beta still I might retract this statement (Is KAG still in some soft development stage?). They are not responsible for troubleshooting, searching for bugs, and modding things in that should already be in the game. I find it odd when I hear someone make a very good suggestion, sometimes a critical one, and in response they are told "you have the tools to fix it, go fix it". It's not a players responsibility to fix the game, be it abandoned features or bug reporting. I could be missing something here but I don't understand this attitude.

Ultimately the game as a whole really doesn't feel any better then what alpha was before it was abandoned. It's different, does things both better and worse, but it's running the same path.

You guys have made a lot of money off of this. That's wonderful. It really is.

But It doesn't mean it's a success quality wise, it doesn't mean its a good game. Maybe after it's financial success that doesn't matter as much anymore. The game needs serious work. After a million dollars in sales I can't understand why KAG is in the state it's in. Manpower? Is KAG a part time project? It's fairly insulting to those of us who are still playing despite all it's problems, who've bought friends and family copies, who've donated, hosted servers, policed the game, etc etc. I'm not sure that even matters.

That's all I have. It's only my singular point of view, but I felt I have enough time with this game under my belt to give a piece of my mind, right or wrong.

I'm sure everyone involved in KAGs creation process means well, and ultimately the money made on this probably drowns out the voices of discontent. It's just not the way I saw this going.

Edit: It's morning. Before I head to work I'll like to state KAG has brought me so many wonderful experiences over the years. I don't represent the voices here that consistently hate without constructive suggestions, I just represent me. I shouldnt come off like I'm some champion of the people, my apologies. If I wrote this again my evaluation might be a little less harsh, but I feel it's still in the ballpark.

My two cents is don't add more features, there are too many already. Maybe just create a way to end stalemate games. Clean up what is already here, keep it simple, congrats on your financial success, and good luck.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Aegis, hierbo, dayleaf and 12 others like this.
  13. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

@Vidar I think you speak truth mate.::):
    @Fernegulus Obvious generalization is obvious

14. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Vidar, you speak my thoughts.

15. PorkChop808

I find it funny when people.say " the game is awful" but still stick around playing it and posting on the forums.

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  16. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

You are saying that community is awful whereas you are a wellknown troll already kicked on many servers. You are annoying on the irc channel ? Come on. its too easy dude.

101i likes this.
  17. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Leaving a game, a community, because it got bad? That's pure shittery.

18. JTG

JTG Bison Rider Tester

My issue is I can't run this game anymore, and I imagine thats the only reason its dead.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  19. PorkChop808

If you go to a restaurant and the service\food is bad in your opinion do you return the next day?

20. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Haha, right, but you see...
    KAG was a fairly good and fun game in the alpha stage, and there's when I got to know the community. And I stayed, for the community and only for it.

Sincerely, your devoted troll, Ferne.
    May you one day kill yourself because of me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.