1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dead game is dead...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leo, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

In classic it was the same with lower dips (as i said, only 500 on bad days), and never got as high (10k in steam launch vs 4k-5k around zombies, with desura, TB or yogscast and lots of blog posts). You say its sloping and this is correct, but notice it's not straight line down to 0 players, it's spike and then curve. Each time it has been stable around 2k players per day (which is "current levels". Even with some regions suffering with 60 player at a time dips, other regions seem to be taking the slack ok. Sales are better now than in all of alpha, with same or better rate of players.

I'm not saying this is the kind of level I'd like it to be at, but I don't have alarm bells ringing in my house "KAG IS DEAD" because if this is dead, it's died a few times this year, wasn't alive at all until build 190 or so, died shortly after that, and died five or six more times during alpha.

I do think it'd be great to mate the old classic and new KAG communities though with that classic mod, been a shame seeing progress stall on that each time. Would be wonderful to see the classic modders get involved in it, apply their passion to a migration rather than entrenchment. I'm sure it's a pipe-dream though :)

2. Additionally, any game sees a downward slope like that without massive amounts of marketing.

3. Fgmaniac

Fgmaniac Catapult Fodder

THANK YOU!!!

This, this, a thousand times this! All this game needs is a semi-popular Youtuber to play this game a little, and it'll come back to life. Yes, the people playing will be shit for a while, and we'll get a huge influx of trolls and griefers, but after the initial wave dies out, as long as the devs focus on improving the voteban system, and more people are given fair admin privileges, the game will come back to life.

I honestly think that Sips&Sjin are the best bet,

Sjin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sva1eQt4IM0 played it a while ago, game's changed a lot since then, he might consider doing it again

Sips- Open to trying indie games for a bit, looking for something to do with Sjin, reads the game recommendation threads at reddit.com/r/sips frequently. Really, if we could just get a good deal of the community to recommend the game at his sub, he may play it.

This is what will save the game, more players=more money=longer life

And with this, there would be incentive to get some more stuff fixed, revitalize the game, there is no need for it to die just yet!

4. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

>Wants someone who is semi-popular
    >Picks one of the most popular YouTube duos

>Wants someone to play an extremely difficult game
    >Picks one of the most casual YouTube duos

Maybe it's worth a shot asking them to play, but by Semi-popular, I was thinking someone with less than 1 million subs. Someone who actually reads their comments. I might start recommending the game in an un-spammy way to some of the actual semi-popular YouTubers to see if they're interested.

5. Fgmaniac

Fgmaniac Catapult Fodder

I was going for the big dream, but yeah, idk, maybe someone liek Utorak, or if you can find someone that's even around the 50 000 range. Only person on youtube I know that even uploads KAG is CoolGamingBros

6. 16th

16th Bison Rider

This would be a good move, and should have been done during steam release, before the old fags abandon the game. In my opinion, competitive scene is something that retains an interest in the game at the old players. In those days, new clans appeared and decayed, clanwars played one after another, and gather was full every night. :rollseyes:
    Nice to hear that the devs support the idea of classicmod. Back in the days i got my own concept of marriage between classic and new version with competitive flavor on FAITH clan forum page, but it deleted now :X3:. Maybe I should write it again and try to interest modders.

7. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Well a game needs advertisement to become popular. And while a larger community often means a shittier one, I do understand that the THD needs money to further develop games, and what's more important, to live. You can't have a fully indie game that's a very big one. Even minecraft, the icon of indie game development at some point it... ceased to be independent. The quality of community usually gets lower with the amount of players (community of Wurm for example - I haven't met a nicer one yet). We are to survive this. To shine, to make ourselves bigger than the flooding wave of newbies and steamfags.

KAG FAGS! PREPARE FOR GLORY!

8. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Ah, so much more peaceful now that revsta is gone.
    *Gets warned for flaming*

But in all seriousness, I think that the conversations have grown more productive since then.
    But, @Geti , and please tell me if I am wrong, this game is advertised in the completely wrong genres.

People come in for a casual-ish game,to be baked a cake and leisurely eat it on a comfy couch, as games these days do.
    People come in to build in a sandbox world, to be able to build what their heart desires, which isn't true.
    People watch the trailer, and sees the fun and laughter and the badassery they can create with ease.

All of this is kinda wrong...

This game is a niche game, and you cannot deny that in any way, shape, or form.
    You need people who want to play a pixelated game, then 2-D, then have them like PvP, then like building, then like cooperative play, then like all these other things, and then have to like working for it.
    All of these stipulations are severe, and make the crowd smaller and smaller and smaller until the crowd is gone.

Add in a community that couldn't be more hostile (I don't blame them, not trying to start any flaming) , some bugs that people are encountering, the dwindling numbers (at least in the USA), and then the game dies more and more.
    Truly, when there ARE 60 people on, at least 10-20 are in Aphelion's Roleplay, then 5-10 scattered amongst sandbox, so we are only left with >30 players on any regular server, so you can fit in a server and a half. It's terrible.

What I think would be better would be if it was advertised as a 2D Pixelated skill-based competitive game, since that is what it is currently. The other things are additional. And we don't want people to buy the game with expectations of the full game actually being small features, now, would we?

9. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

I saw kag classic on youtube thinking it would be a new minecraft or terraria type game. I was pleasantly surprised and 3 years later I'm still here. I think more advertising would be good tho :P

10. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Well, as Geti had seemingly implied, this is not a game that you can just "advertise".
    Right now, it is up to us to spread the good word of the Lord, and get more people into this game, but only those that wish to actually work for it.

11. PorkChop808

PorkChop808 Catapult Fodder

Are there full time people working on KAG?? or is it completely part time?

12. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I think one person works on it sometimes. They probably work mostly on their other projects. That's just my best guess, though.

It's hard to pin genres on KAG. It's some weird place between casual and competitive: it takes a lot of energy and skill, but at the same time has a very laid-back and chill atmosphere. That's probably why I love it so much. Great combat + action gaming in a simple little package. There's no need to market it as having a ton of features, because it doesn't, and that's one of the good things about it. More complicated =/= better, many of us would agree.

The numbers tend to worry people, but the way I see it, every time I log on I have the choice of one or two ctf servers and maybe another few mod servers. I consider any server with ~6 or more people on each team "full", that will get you a good size game.

Dargona1018 likes this.
  13. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@16th fwiw gather is coming back this summer, @cameron1010 has got it 95% working already, just needs some more testing.

It was full time up to around May or so this year. We have other games in the works and for the most part consider the game "done", though of course we dont rule out some big updates down the line.

Re: contacting youtubers - I've talked about this in the past. We've done it from time to time but these days they treat it as "old news" so its not very appealing unless they're long-term fans. I'm sure if they had subscribers asking on every video "play KAG play KAG" then they'd do it, but emails from us aren't interesting for them.

14. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Australian summer = december to february :>

15. 16th

16th Bison Rider

I know about that, but if there no changes in gameplay itself...
    INHO in that state KAG no suit for competitions.

16. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

be·cause
    bēˈkəz/
    conjunction
    1. for the reason that; since.
    "we did it because we felt it our duty"
    synonyms:since, as, in view of the fact that, inasmuch as, owing to the fact that,seeing that/as; More

'INHO in that state KAG no suit for competitions because _____________________________________________________________________'

If you don't state what you think is problematic, problems cannot be fixed.

I personally think comp is a crock of shit in this game because people can just use macros.

kodysch and Fernegulus like this.
  17. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

It works well actually for leagues.

18. UltraMarine_Val

UltraMarine_Val Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

The old War mod was petty awesome.

19. 16th

16th Bison Rider

Cmon, Spidey, you know what competition KAG is. I know that very well to. Сan you show me a video of clanwar in beta, seeing that I would say, yes it is really fun and challengIng and depends on the teamplay, not just 30 min of random actions from players with same clantag? I'm really whant to see what good clanwar in beta is.

20. UltraMarine_Val

UltraMarine_Val Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

If they do random thing they lose. If they do somes thinks like whaiting the teams to go together they deal big damage to enemis.
    If one archer stun the enemis whis water arrow and knighs kill them is a really good coordination.
    If one knight buy a explosive ballista and bolt ammo and rush whis his bros to the hill, deploy it and defent it the time to blow up the tower is a really good exemple

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.