1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

General Map Making Discussion.

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Eggnogg, Nov 15, 2011.

1. bergice

bergice Arsonist

Hey, anyone know how to set random respawn points for teams (more than 2 teams)?

I tried putting:

Code:
    respawn_spots = -1; -1; -1; -1; -1; -1; -1; -1;
    In the map generator but the players just spawn in the middle of the map with the message:

Code:
    No respawn point found for runner <team #>
    [EDIT]

Fixed it, just forgot to add in:
    respawn_teams and respawn_types.

2. Retrofit

Retrofit Kami go bye bye Donator

Does anyone know if there are any not "in game" map editors out there or could someone explain how to make a map for a server? thx :3

3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

There's several map making tuts out there in these forums. I'll set you a challenge: go, find and read.

4. bergice

bergice Arsonist

Use Photoshop or Paint.net, or any map editor. I have a map editor I made but its not 100% finished, but it is pretty good.

5. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

...MC Paint.
    Just open a map, and place every block there is in a polka-dot pattern.
    Write down which one is which block on some piece of paper, and open the map in Paint.
    In Paint, change the size to a normal size (for normal maps, about 1000 wide and 300 high is good enough) and select "grid".
    Then you just write down the values of every block, and use these to make a palette.

6. Squeal

Squeal Shipwright

Making maps is rather simple, they are most easily done as an image. Each pixel in the image corresponds to a block in the game, so all you have to do is draw the map on some form of image editor. Furthermore, if that pixel is an orange-brown colour the block will be dirt, if it is blue the block will be sky. The specific colours for each block can be found here: https://wiki.kag2d.com/wiki/Map

I however recommend you look through some of the tutorials on this section.

GloriousToast and Noburu like this.
  7. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

guyz this may have been asked before but what is your opinion on pre-built strutures?

8. Squeal

Squeal Shipwright

First of all pre-built structures are much better for knight to knight combat, which makes them the obvious choice for an death-match game. Their implementation in CTF is a little more interesting. They can influence the way in which people build, making more interesting forts than just the straight-up wall with the door at the front. Ideally they should be used as a framework, and not a finished product. They way in which people adapt to different structures is always interesting.

9. FranticIch

FranticIch Let me be your tank... Donator

Hey, could you explain what you mean with
    I´m trying to add specific % spawnpoints for 5 teams.

10. bergice

bergice Arsonist

Sure:
    respawn_spots = The horizontal percentage of the map the tents will be spawned.
    respawn_teams = The team number for the respective respawn spots.
    respawn_types = What type of respawn it will be, just set this to runner.

So for 5 teams you would do something like:

Code:
    respawn_spots = 15;       30;     45;      60;       75;
    respawn_teams = 0;       1;        2;        3;        4;
    respawn_types = runner; runner; runner; runner; runner;
    The lack of documentation for some of these commands is slightly worrying...

11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Bringing the documentation together in one place would be a very... trying project, but I'm sure if someone were willing to do it those who wish to continue playing on KAG classic would probably love it, as a lot of these commands are very useful but their documentation is absolutely nonexistant and had to be found out by people who cared enough.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  12. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

currently I believe adding something like that in a area with dirt backgrounds, the game will automatically fill in that area with a dirt background tile, so when the blob spawns there will be a dirt background tile where it's pixel was.

13. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Necro/10

PUNK123 likes this.