1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Knight Combat Discussion

Discussion in 'Knight' started by SpitfireXero, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

Oh so clashing has ruined it? No wonder I haven't done it in awhile... that has removed an element of skill from the game then... Reduce the time frame so clashing only occurs when you attacking IDENTICALLY at the same time; allowing you to get your hit in if you predict the attack and hit 0.1sec after it.

2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I would say just remove it overall from jabs.

UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  3. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

True; it was solely introduced to stop high health knights from attrition jabbing low knights to death - something that really didn't seem like an issue at all, due to the ability of slightly retiming your hits

4. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

That's not true: it still works.

I refuse to believe that clashing minimizes skill to that level. I have seen, and have achieved, to be a dastardly braggart, an average of two kills or more every life. I don't believe I'm lucky.

Give me an example of an instance where you can't defeat your opponent with a skillful maneuver.

5. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

I get the same amount, just by using charge attacks instead, as they are much more reliable.

When you have 2 knights or more jabbing at you constantly is probably the best example. Or when your shield bashes don't work, or when someone just refuses to be hit, despite the fact you timed your counters and stabs perfectly.

Clashing just makes the problem worse, it makes it very very hard for no reason at all. If clashing were removed, people who have low health would easily be able to adopt a different strategy rather than just sit there and let themselves die to someone with higher health. Higher health people are no longer a problem when you have an attack that can potentially deal full health or at worst stun the person i.e. charge attacks.

Foxodi likes this.
  6. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Stay shielded and push back to irritate them. When one knight pauses to charge slash through your shield, jab him. While they maintain the logical advantage of numbers, you can still retaliate.

I guess there nothing to be done about failed shield bashes and weird... lag... stuff?

7. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Nothing to be done: remove clashing, it makes lag even worse.

When one knight pauses to charge slash through your shield jab? No, because the other is there still jabbing you, silly, shielding all your jabs because of this clashing. This is why everyone is saying numbers mean too much due to clashing as well. Seriously pre clashing, everything was awesome, pros were actually distinguished from the newbies, and yet they could still be beaten.

BlueLuigi and Valkyrie like this.
  8. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

They are not shielded. From the attack, that is.

Speaking from experience. But one experience. T'was a bright and happy battle, and all through the field, three or four knights were stabbing my shield. I would go and test if it were a fluke, but it will take some time waiting in a small tunnel.

9. 0008

0008 Shipwright

NightHawk

A rapid death match without builders just seems like a small little quirk of KAG and not its main focus, archers don't thrive in this environment but I've easily killed knights as an archer before in a 1 on 1 deathmatch and so I think that they are fine.

10. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I'm afraid clashing will stay, because Geti likes it.

I have to find a way to get him hate it...

11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Any knight that isn't straight up stupid in this instance of 2 or more versus 1 the second knight will backup and out of your range then come forward and slash where he can't be hit by you because of slash's range and being behind the other guy's shield/jabs.

12. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Move back as well.

You'll be surprised how stupid knights can be when they think they have the invincibility of numbers.

Wonkyth and Foxodi like this.
  13. GhostyS

GhostyS Shopkeep Stealer

It is possible for a seasoned player to take on more then one knight. its all about your position and how you go about attacking them. If there are more then one knight approaching me a retreat till i get the better position, for example up on a hill. I then wait for them slash usually hitting one or both then slash again killing one then dispatch the other normally. it all so helps when you bounce around on their head. using these tactics i have been able to take out 3+ knights by myself and a little bit of luck and timing.

14. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

You wait for them? Surely that can't work too well as they'll know somethings up, and they will act more cautiously instead of blindly chasing your tail. If I'm too far infront of them to turn around and slash, I will try to slow myself down without it appearing I'm about to attack e.g. by spamming my movement key instead of holding it down.

15. GhostyS

GhostyS Shopkeep Stealer

well not every player is smart enough to realise that. plus having buddies would increase their recklessness.

16. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Dude, before clashing, a good knight could take 5 enemies all ny himself if it was skilled enought. Clashing removes "deep" from the game. Of course, you can still kill two or three knights before dies, but you can't do it if two of them attack togheter, or just got some lucky. Like someone told once
    "It' too noob friendly"
    New players should feel that the game combat its more than just point-and-click-until-your-fingers-hurts

17. Strathos

Strathos KAG Guard Tester

Clashing promotes mildness clicking. Bombs have an insane effective kill range. Surviving insane falls (bomb jump/catapult launch) is far too easy.
    How I see the current knight combat: jump + poke like crazy and land the slash before the other does. It's all about who lands the slash or clicks faster.

Edit: I think part of the problem is that poking the air, hitting a shield or clashing is exactly the same for the attacker. It should feel different.
    I don't think clashing should be removed, but reworked. Combat against Henry is totally different than my online experience. I guess it's the delay, then. Jumping and poking is way too effective, though - it always has been.
    Stamina system is very much needed.
    This was sort of a rage (more like frustrated) post. I should have taken the time to elaborate adequately. Sorry!

Contrary likes this.
  18. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I don't the idea of a stamina system, it would take the speed of the game ("Oh sitting and waiting for my knight to rest after every combat it's sooooooooo fun!"). Clashing should be removed or (like someone said before) make it rare (only happened if both players attack on exact same time). I think on how many hours the kag team take to make clashing, and I guess fixing it's a better option. Just remove it we hate it.

19. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

If a stamina system was done something like in Skyward Sword I wouldn't mind it too much would be pretty okay. But I also don't like the idea that with a stamina system I would never be able to really take 5 enemy knights, so yeah, that's ass. Defensive fighting would be too good so no thanks.

Clashing just needs to go, instead of patching up broken mechanics with more broken mechanics it is always better (but never done by indie devs I swear...) to remove the mechanic or fix it, then to patch it up with another.

20. baranok

baranok Shopkeep Stealer

can you elaborate what stamina system is in Skyward Sword?

and yeah i know it myself its hard to remove something that u worked on for hours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.