1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

More Features For Maps

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by mcrifel, Dec 3, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

So If we want to create map we have very little to work with. This ends up with maps that all look the same and can get boring in a while. My suggestion is to add sand block, snow block, ice block, new tree types, more animals, different wood and stone blocks and maybe some other things.

Thats kinda it.

epsilon likes this.
  2. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I don't really think different types of stone and wood are necessary at all.

More animals: Unless they hold a purpose, they're really just clutter. The only animal that might hold a purpose would be a horse or mule, but usually there aren't maps that big that require fast transportation across a flat surface.

New Trees: There's already 2 types, and they both have different variations while they grow. Is it really needed?

Snow/Ice: Yeah, that would be pretty cool to have Winter servers up.

Sand: honestly, if sand is going to be in the game, it's probably going to be similar to minecraft and terraria. Personally, I really don't like that style of sand, where if you break the block under it, it just falls block by block. Plus, if it works like that, they way the current engine is, someone might be able to glitch through a wall, akin to a builder slapping blocks down on himself to glitch through.

epsilon likes this.
  3. TROPICALear5

TROPICALear5 Shopkeep Stealer

I like the idea of different textured stone and wood, it would make the game look prettier

epsilon likes this.
  4. H3llO

H3llO Shopkeep Stealer

First fix the current blocks, place a platform in CTF and the map crashes, a ladder on stone background without bedrock or dirtbackwall, silly mapmaker that won't work. AND then there's mossstone...
    Half the time I needed to create my first maps were used to figure out why blocks just dropped for no obvious reason, why the TDM shopguy is missing or something that prevented the map from even loading.

necessary? no nothing optical is really necessary in this game, you could play KAG with Ascii graphics if you just want gameplay. But the graphics are one of the major flaw's if you compare KAG with other games. For example Terraria frequently got negative critics about the graphics but it makes up for it with a huge amount of blocks, biomes and events, adding to the atmosphere of the game (Also blocks merge with each other making it less look like just blocks). Kag lacks the graphical variety. There is just dirt, stone, wood and that lovely water (plants and animals get wiped out pretty fast).

Try to make a stunningly beautiful map, you might have to make a compromise in playability and look. You cannot just place the Taj Mahall or the Niagara Falls without affecting gameplay.

Imagine you would play a round of KAG... building time, it starts snowing. up to the end of building time the whole map is covered in snow. both teams rush in the middle, only a few stay alive. The snow turned into a bloody red but soon the corpses of the first fight are covered in new snow. In the first night of war you see a shooting star, in the second you see an alpine hare brutally murdered by the enemy. After a couple of days intense fighting the snow starts to melt, seasons changed. You see flowers and archers hiding in the regrown leaves of trees. birds chirp, Wind blows through the grass but in the background you still hear swords clashing, structures crashing. Your team is at the enemies gate, besieging the enemy who ran out of stone. Literally a storm is brewing and the enemies moral is at the bottom. one of your teammates crush the last defense with a keg. You grap the flag. The Rain is enriched with Arrows shooting at you, you see a lightning strike, a second later the sound of the thunder lapse the world into silence around you. You made it, firework welcomes you back into your base. In the heat of combat you saved a kitty from a burning tre. You saved the day, Tibet is free now. Everyone celebrates the win. Geti sheds a tear not even remembering they implemented kittens.

mcrifel and TROPICALear5 like this.
  5. TROPICALear5

TROPICALear5 Shopkeep Stealer

That's a nice piece of literature h3llo and changing seasons would be awesome and a night and day cycle

6. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

I've wanted more types of materials and tiles for a long while, but I don't necessarily think vanilla KAG needs anything more. What would be cool though, was if there were some variations in theme available, perhaps for different seasons. I noticed someone made a winter-like modification, and I thought it looked pretty neat. If we could have some official themes, that would be awesome.

TROPICALear5 likes this.
  7. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

Night/day cycle? goto TTH

8. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

NECROING THIS

I really wanted to make a desert style map today and I did and I posted it in the map section but it really blows that I was not able to place sand in a desert. Sand and snow are 2 blocks that I just think will add so many cool looking maps, they can just act exactly like dirt blocks but just have a different texture. With this we can make deserts, beaches, snow topped mountains, snowy deserts :^) just think of the possibilities!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Magmus and epsilon like this.
Mods: Rainbows