1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Warcraft III, anyone?

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Rioja, Sep 21, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Rioja

Rioja Ballista Bolt Thrower

Anybody play Warcraft III Reign of Chaos/Frozen Throne Expansion? Its a great RTS game by blizzard - same people who made World of Warcraft. This game's franchise came out before the MMORPG WoW. It has full online gameplay with 5 game modes, but then custom games which add so many more modes. It is a paid game, so download the demo first or check this video before you buy it! Also, i assume the games Starcraft I/II were based on it.

I picked up both the Game and the expansion for £10!

Blizzard Site - http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/games/war3/

Canadian98 likes this.
  2. Kagesha

Kagesha KAG Guard Tester

awesome game, endless amount of custom maps to play on, so much fun. dota ftw

3. TEH_N00B1337

TEH_N00B1337 Shipwright

yeah, but online is so boring now, only german player or dutch, can't tell XD.
    btw i HATE DOTA no offense :) i love the wilderness survival games, too bad i can't find any.

4. Rioja

What? Ive got a group of english friends that are pretty active.. We generally just play Legion TD/DoTA. Add me if you want - MatsoxD
    Also, anyone got any idea how to get a Fire Machine on Legion TD. Its the best unit for incoming and i cant find out anywhere...

5. Rioja

Sorry to bump this a little, but DoTA 6.73 is out. Much smoother gameplay and apparently more people are playing it(probably because of DoTA making an appearance) which is great. They did add a seriously over-powered hero though, but the other four they added were balanced. The AI map is out soon, so people who are a bit out of sync can get back in... I had to face the onslaught of people critisising me - dont go online till you really boss with bots is my advice.

6. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Eh, I need to buy Warcraft III. I think the demo ran pretty well on the awful laptop I am cursed with.

TooManyCats likes this.
  7. Rioja

Yeah, it runs on pretty much any half-decent computer, probably even on the best graphics (though there isnt much difference i dont think). A mouse is needed, literally impossible to play without unless you have God's fingers.

8. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

Hear hear! I second that notion. Remember when we used to play WC3 on our school laptops and I forgot to bring my mouse from home. It was a real pain trying to move around your units with a touchpad. I won a couple of times though. Although, thinking back this might have been because they ganged up on each other not expecting someone with a touchpad to actually do something.

9. Rioja

Luckily we have desktops at school, and so they have a mouse. Our problem was that server connections were disallowed so we were unable to play online. Didnt really matter, as at time we'd have over 20 people playing on a LAN connection (in years 7-10 everyone does ICT at the same time). I generally won 'cause half the people who tried playing it were 'FPS fanboys' and couldnt comprehend moving 2 units at once, never mind 10 archers, a hero to play as, and siege weapons etc. . My only problem with W3 is that you couldnt select all the units you wanted to. So if you were massing archers, you had to move them in two groups.

10. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

Yeah, I do remember being annoyed by this quite a lot as well. Right now I don't know if this was an intentional choice or if it simply was due to the limitation of the game. Man, bringing this up brings back so many memories from when we used to have these lan parties. It was quite amazing to say the very least.

Our favourite way of playing was bringing up a FFA and then we started making alliances with each other. It was like "A game of thrones" in the form of WC3. Never seen so many people backstabbing each other all over the place. It wasn't so much about the game as it was about the relations between the players. The strongest was often picked out and destroyed and so it continued. Absolutely lovely.

11. xxpabloxx

xxpabloxx Shopkeep Stealer

W3 what can say about it? One of the best games ever, custom games are amazing and very funny, also is a pro game at ladders. I played a lot it time ago, but now custom games are semi-dead, you basically can find DoTa ( I dont like it) Vamps (i dont like so much the lasts verions) Hero Wars (Dont like) but not much more. BFME forever!!!

12. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Played far too much of this back when it was new.
    Play far too many weird gametypes on it at school.

13. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Been playing this a lot some years ago, too bad it's kind of deserted nowadays. Hard to get a good custom game running. Not a big fan of dota.
    Never really played the normal game.

14. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

DotA is still exciting as hell after all these years.

15. Wonkyth

I always found DotA to be one of the more boring custom games.
    Cant remember what that farmville+demons one was, but it was badass!
    + Slide ninja slide, I still play that regularly.

16. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

With a bunch of cool mates + mumble, DotA is very fun to play Wonkyth! Its atm really boring to play against pubbers and bots.

17. Wonkyth

Oh, I only play with mates!
    Still prefer Worm Wars, though!
    Far more flippant! :D

18. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

kag is sort of getting boring a bit.. maybe go play wc3 for a bit
    i play mainly rpgs and tds some mazes
    ign is X(o.o)X add me if you like :S

19. Filystyn

Filystyn Bison Rider