1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Map-making Contest by Daskew and Guro

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by Guro, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Saw those big LOTR maps, I used to make them too for role-play server. I'm working on my project, a big detailed beautiful island for sandbox/role-play purposes. I will finish it tomorrow, 87% is done, only a fun little part and the east coast is under construction.
    http://s18.postimg.org/5j9wx0u61/Sanaria.png

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    FuzzyBlueBaron and daskew87 like this.
  2. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

>Contest Update<

:up:Well over 30 reviews have been made so far and the leader-board post is in it's lag leg before it's done.

@kodysch has been recruited to help finish some of the commentaries as @Guro is out of action for a couple of weeks.

He has the writing skills that would charm the fur off a polar bear, so his input is very welcome ::D:

...Meanwhile I wonder what everyone thinks about my crazy-ass map I made a little while ago and some people managed to play...

Captivated - by @daskew87

Daskew_Captivated.png

-What do we all think?

LETS DEBATE!

Don't be nasty ::(:

:huh?:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  3. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

I remember this one ::D:. I was alone on the map makers corner and decided to try to get to the bottom of the map as knight, while I was doing so I thought that this map would go great in a mini game where you get to the bottom or climb to the top before something kills you or whatever. It was fun... but it is not a map that would go good for CTF.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 4, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 4, 2015 ---
    Well, maybe it would fit better in CTF if the flags were right next to each other, So it is a race to get to the bottom. As of now some flags are far apart and that makes for some weird game-play.

kodysch likes this.
  4. ThE_HeRo

ThE_HeRo Bison Rider

Weeeelll, since you asked nicely :X3:

It would be a great map as minigame, as Jacob(ffsff) said above. I played this on MMC server. It's REALLY fun.

5. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

Archer would be like jesusz,
    Knights would be Lemmins and fall to death

ThE_HeRo likes this.
  6. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

That map brought me to tears with pure fury. I remember clearly falling over and over again, unable to successfully navigate to the bottom of the map for the final flag. Ragequitted so fucking hard, I hope you're proud of yourself.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 4, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 4, 2015 ---
    Surprisingly not. Knight just glides slowly down, archer falls and you can't swing well on that map.

7. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Have to say, I can imagine this map being hilarious fun to play if the gamemode were modded so that you had to cap at your HQ and there was only 1 flag for each team-- right down the bottom of the map. Imagine: everyone fighting & scrambling to get to the bottom and then having to fight to get the enemy flag all the way up again while simultaneously trying to keep your own flag down below. Also (and perhaps most interestingly) instead of the normal effect where killing enemies and running away with their flag while they respawn is generally a guaranteed cap (because they're too far behind to catch up when the do respawn); instead this map ensures that you'll have several chances to protect the flag as you respawn at the top and those with said stolen flag are making their way up to meet you.

Ofc, it could turn into a complete stalemate; but I can also see a game where savvy use of all three classes (archers to flagnap, builders to build obstacles for enemy archers/gateways for friendly archers, and knights to come goomba-stomping down from on high raining bombs and generally wrecking the enemy's shit while trying to prevent them from doing the same)-- if such a gamemode ever happens (or if you work out a way for it to be possible in the current CTF setup) let me know and I will be there, come hell or high Hella.

Joiken likes this.
  8. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Pheeew I did it... I spent more time on this than I would like to admit. Damn it was so annoying to place all the stone. Well, after tiring hours, here is my 2200x300 role-play map: Sanaria
    Sanaria.png
    It has a lot of detail, you have to download it and zoom in to see it all. I include the file too, I think it's so big it loses some pixel quality.
    Oh and you can use it anyhow, this is for the community.

Attached Files:

9. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

It is always fun to go into sandbox and explore big maps. Thanks for this post!

10. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator
    1. KAG Competitive League

Map Contest ftw. Also, that map is gigantic >w> would really want to play on it, especially love the diversity in terrain (it has oceans, lakes, mountains, ravines, caves, ruins? and a bunch of other stuff) It's nice to look at.

7/10 would eat for diner.

11. ThE_HeRo

ThE_HeRo Bison Rider

Definitely playing this in Sandbox.

12. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Thanks everyone. Be careful if you try it, it will take a while to load in. You will spawn in water, unless you add spawns which will most likely end up in crash.
    I tried to load it in but my old laptop can't handle it. After 30 second loading I had less than 1 fps then I got disconnected.

13. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

There is a water glitch at the bottom right, the water does not touch the ground completely. Also, where the fish were spawned, there is no water.

screen-15-01-05-13-54-03.png

14. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

Oh thank you for that. It is because paint is buggy and sometimes the colors have wrong value. I will fix it tomorrow and test the whole map.

15. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

I use paint.NET, it works very well with pixel anything

16. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

I was able to run it in a cropped version. Everything was fine for me and the values are correct.
    Are you sure you have a PNG version? That is the only way it will work, JPEG ruins it.
    If yes, then the map dimension could be too big, or too much fish is in there. But I have never heard of this, and I had run similar sized maps before smoothly.
    Sorry for that, but I don't know what could be wrong.

17. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

It is a .png file that I took from your post, I'm guessing that this problem is there because of the fish. But I also see one block of water on the right side that sticks up out of the main body, maybe this is hard on the game as the water has to update to the sides, I don't know... just a guess.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 6, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 6, 2015 ---
    Nah, the one water block does not do anything
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 6, 2015 ---
    I have run some tests on the water and it seems that if you use a sponge, the water will not update. And also, the water will start to update again at a certain point. I figure that this is happening because of the size of this map.

SanariaWater.png

The red is the water that will not update
    Darker red is the non-updating water with a dirt backwall

Hope this helps! (somehow)

Ej, Shadowor, FuzzyBlueBaron and 2 others like this.
  18. ThE_HeRo

ThE_HeRo Bison Rider

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yeah not likely to change; iirc maps wider than 2048px aren't officially supported and lag like balls for some players anyway.

Joiken, ThE_HeRo and startselect3 like this.
  20. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

Well I guess that answers this problem