1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Portal to other server & hidden server

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by igigor, Jan 10, 2015.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. igigor

igigor Builder Stabber

Add portals to connect to another server during the game (particularly for RP server). Do not clutter the map and have a larger world.
    Adding hidden servers functionality could help to avoid overloading the server list.
    portal&hidden.png

FuzzyBlueBaron and norill like this.
  2. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator
    1. KAG Competitive League

That would require the servers who want to use that feature to host quite a lot of servers, and I heard that hosting servers isn't an easy thing to do. Wouldn't it be more convenient/easy to have a single server with multiple areas? Think Save The Princess, once you reach the end of one area you get to the next, or something like that. Maybe with a map that shows each area and their buildings, maybe with the amount of red/blue players on it. Having hidden servers in general could be a nice thing, so the clan wars/kag world cup servers wouldn't have to be visible all the time.

BlueLuigi, Ozminer and J-man2003 like this.
  3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This is already do-able with the CNet connection functions, though they haven't been tried out much iirc. This would be a good way for @Aphelion for example to spread out the load on his server and avoid needing so many blobs in-game.

4. ccnc

ccnc Catapult Fodder

would be very interesting as you could make 'eternal' games similar to how Planetside 2 works (except that one day ressources will be all used up)
    Another stuff
    -Overworld/Dungeons
    -in-ingame server browser (a lobby for players)

but the more I think about it the less is the cost-benefit ratio (work-benefit) you can get from it. You can split the processing on multiple servers but you still need the processing power and even if you have the server infrastructure you also need to fill your linked servers with content and players or your machination will be waste of time (not forgetting the code for the hopefully ungriefable or indestructible server portals).

5. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

I like this idea. It opens up possibilities for more social, MMO-like uses. Host your own little sandbox hub containing portals to your favorite servers, or your friend's hubs. I'm not sure how many would do it though.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

TBH it's actually a really good way to spread processing power out though as each instance is bound to one core only. You could limit each server to 16 slots or fewer very easily and keep processing low. Code for indestructible and unbuildable portals is as easy as adding a no build zone over the top :)

wilpin7 and Vermilicious like this.
  7. ccnc

ccnc Catapult Fodder

You have to know.

this was just a marginal note for completion. Defining the serverportal as a constant part of the map is the easiest solution but also the most boring imho. The most problematic thing about that linked-server constellation are (perhaps sandbox is the exception) content/player.
    Is it worth linking only 2 game-servers? What about 10 gameservers with 20 players overall? I just looked at the big picture.
    Let's talk about that after KAG2 is released (with a new big playerbase and great multicore/gpu computation).

If you go by the idea (your picture) you had to sync the gamemode status and player balance over all servers. I guess your core idea is to make a battlefield with two fronts and taking over continents (gameserver), yes? scale down the idea with what's already possible and what you get is this.
    [​IMG]

8. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

We're probably doing that with KARPS

edit: oh uh gatu lieks

To topic: Also, the thing is that it's much less laggy, but, yeah right, find a guy to host 8 servers for you (or 8 guys who will host one each)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    FuzzyBlueBaron, Asu and Geti like this.
  9. LightTab2

LightTab2 Drill Rusher
    1. Zen Laboratories

If I remember good, there was a problem with CNet function. Has it been fixed yet?

EDIT: What'd be with syncing to each other server?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  10. Geti

Re: connection - if there are issues, you need to let us know so we can debug them.

Re: sync - TCPR app would be easiest as then you can perform the sync however you like (could just be same tcpr app connected to a bunch of different servers and mirroring "sync" commands between them)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  11. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

iirc, there was some discussion of this back in 2012. I even posted a pic of how one could have a re-hash of Overworld; funny how these ideas come up again. ::):

{edit}
    Found it!
    https://forum.kag2d.com/posts/115169/

DatNobby, Geti and igigor like this.
  12. LightTab2

LightTab2 Drill Rusher
    1. Zen Laboratories

If server(1) has 64 slots, hidden server(2) must have also 64 slots. But if people join both servers and both'll be full, they won't be able to get forward or backward the "regions" (servers ofc). So I recommend to add in JoinCoreHooks.as script that'll calculate numer of playing players and prevent joining them, if s1 + s2 >64. There also must be a sync between both servers, every tick.

13. Geti

Doesn't need to be every tick, just needs events posted to all servers when players change, easily enough accomplished with a TCPR link between them all :)
    However, you're right in identifying that there'd be a lot to consider with # of slots, travelling between areas, syncing player's stats between servers and so forth. It's not a small task but it's also something I'm surprised to have seen so little work on, as it's one of the first things the community got excited about with modding, as FBB pointed out.

14. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Practically #1 on my list of "things I will come back and do once I have the skills to actually pull it off".

RIP until that day, Overworld... :QQ:

15. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Bet it wouldn't be too difficult with KScript2.

PUNK123 likes this.
Mods: Rainbows