1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Make gold and seeds undecayable (CTF)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by 8x, Dec 17, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

There's this situation when you can't find any gold at the map and therefore you can't build any more teleporters or siege workshops. My idea is to have the gold, as a material, undecayable: if you manage to destroy an enemy teleporter or a siege workshop, it will drop the gold that was used for creating it, which you could use for your team's benefit. Attacking and destroying enemy structures, and the Gold itself as a material would have a new reason.

Same for the seeds: sometimes they dissappear when there are a lot of explosions at the surroundings, (or them griefers throw them away or place them on castle blocks).

The only way for destroying these items would be throwing them to a pit.

2. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

I want to be undecayable!

edit: no off-topic, I totally agree with you on the seed thing but not the other thing.

SirDangalang and J-man2003 like this.
  3. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Makes sense.

4. This is a good, well thought out idea that would prevent stalemates.

5. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

What if the other team breaks your stuff AND takes the gold piles?... you'd still be out of gold.

In my opinion (bolded because I know that everyone's is different) I'd almost rather have gold removed... it's such a useless material. Honestly, have a shop maybe where you can trade gold for stone, and then have stone costs increased... if gold is kept at all. I guess I'm takling more for CTF because in TTH it makes sense to have gold for magistrates.

PUNK123 likes this.
  6. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I think the whole point of this idea is so people can still make tunnels and catas endgame and hopefully end stalemates. If one team has all of the gold, then stalemate averted right?

J-man2003 likes this.
  7. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

In CTF gold is pretty important as it's used for making teleporters and siege workshops. These shops are the most expensive, as gold is not as easy to find, and offer good advantages. Basically what i meant is that that possibility will be always there.

The fact that with this feature you are able to destroy an enemy shop and get their gold also means that the enemy can destroy your shops and get your gold. In other words, shops that recquire gold will be always made, in one team or another. In this situation, having no gold at all would mean that the other team is playing better :>

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  8. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having a system like this but I'd prefer if gold was not a resource, or those particular structures needed less of it in order to be built... because sometimes you have no choice whether some noob builds a tunnel or siege workshop in a vulnerable place.

Something else that should be thought about: What if it falls off the map?

9. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

J-man2003 and kodysch like this.
  10. If at least one team possesses gold, then a push is significantly easier for them, which reduces stalemates. The fact that the gold would be stealable from the other team would encourage concerted pushes to first take the gold, and then spend it on your own siege shops.

11. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

With this you could build a siege shop, buy 3x catapults and 3x ballistas, destroy the shop and then build a tunnel?

u wot m8?

J-man2003 likes this.
  12. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

I'm not sure non-decaying materials is enough to fix the underlying issues.

Heavy map erosion and materials disappearing (by building or laying on the ground) is quite a problem for games lasting a certain time. I consider it to be one of KAG's biggest weaknesses.

Erosion can be remedied somewhat by adding more bedrock to the maps where battle occurs, and to increase the amount of materials received for each block/log. However, it's still erodes. Dirt isn't dropped and has no use, which causes a lot of erosion. Stone tiles, at least, gives enough material for several stone blocks replacing the tile you removed.

Gold is a one-time harvest, one-time use with a, typically, very limited supply, and should in my opinion only be used to fund research or very special buildings. I mean, it's an important aspect of the game to harvest and use gold wisely. I wouldn't want to take that away, but I think there's room for some tweaks here.

I think it's interesting how Aphelion introduced "deposits" in his Roleplay mod, that replenishes after a certain time, limiting erosion and ensuring that there's always a supply of certain materials. It fits well with long-lasting game modes, but I'm a bit unsure about the default modes. True, some of the default modes can also see long-lasting matches. In that case, it could be a viable solution, but with the risk of resulting in an endless stalemate situation, from which people grow bored and leave. That might be a problem anyway, though.

About seeds, sometimes they just disappear; either by landing on something else than dirt, or simply just of some bug that has never been fixed (possibly falling through the ground, I dunno). I'd just suggest that seeds that drop on non-dirt tiles do not disappear, so that you can pick it up at any time. If they then ended up as a "bag" sprite instead of the seed sprite, they would be easier to spot. Alternatively, even allow trees to grow on stone/tree blocks as they do in real life; taking root in the smallest crack and eventually, over time, rip the material apart. As for bugs, well, about bloody time it's fixed, cause it's always been an issue.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    8x likes this.
  13. bring back gold bullions

FuzzyBlueBaron, Reudh and Dargona1018 like this.
  14. wilpin7

wilpin7 Lewd~ Donator
    1. KAG Competitive League

Yes, all of the yes.

I +1 this idea, me wants to see gold become less lose-able, because I'd love to make them expensive workshops, but all of them builders grab da gold and lose it some way or another.

15. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

Or unbreakable storage? (Like the chests in Aphelion's Roleplay maybe)

16. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Yes, this makes sense. Robbing gold from enemy builders would be more beneficial and efficient in general.

17. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

This idea is well thought out. It would allow you to move those shops which require gold (if someone has placed them a bad position) without griefing your materials.

I like the idea of seeds not decaying on stone, but not growing there either. This would allow you to still sabotage the enemy team by stealing their trees, but would make it much harder than it currently is. It would also stop tree farms getting destroyed over time when someone moves the seeds.

+1

18. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

I believe that this would be decently easy to implement, just making it drop the Gold as cata's drop their unused stone, and ballistaes with their bolts. With the tunnel, I don't think that it should drop the gold, because then people will only destroy them, and not use them effectively against the enemy team.

With the seeds, having a lack of decay would be pretty good. To possibly help it from not taking root on different tiles, I would possibly recommend having the Sapling take root in ANY tile that it's on, but you have to break it (drops no logs) before you can pick it up, so that it encourages people to take saplings back to base whilst still denying it any decay or bugs making it disappear after not taking root.

19. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

I like the idea of a mine-able resource.

Something like: If gold does happen to fall off the map, have half of what was lost (rounded to the nearest even number for simplicity sake) go to each mine-able resource nearest to each team tent, that way it's basically infinite. Then just have maps so the gold is 25% into the map from each tent. That way, the team that starts controlling 75% of the map has an advantage, and the team that's being cornered has to make some attempt to get gold by destroying their siege workshops, tunnels, and storages. Instead of having the gold just drop straight to the ground when, for example, a tunnel is destroyed - have it on a delay so after 120 seconds (or some number) the gold that would've fell 'respawns' onto the mine-able map object nearest to the team's tent who 'owned' the tunnel. That way there's a delay instead of being able to instantly put down a siege workshop, build a catapult, break the workshop and build a tunnel and tunnel to the front lines with the catapult.

Seeds are more complicated.. because having a set price at a shop for them could cause spam, and having them respawn brings up issues with location to spawn when lost (of course it's possible to create a solution it's just more complicated).

20. BillyWeedman

BillyWeedman Haxor

Undecayable gold is a good idea since its very scarce in CTF maps, but seeds, I don't think so.

Mods: Rainbows