1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Should Gather go from tickets to timer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue_Tiger, Feb 2, 2015.

?

Should Gather go from tickets to timer?

1. Yes

11.5%
  2. No

61.5%
  3. I don't care

3.8%
  4. There must be a third way! ;_;

23.1%
  5. What do you suggest?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Removing tickets would just ruin the entire thing. People will rush alone. There's no more risk in rushing.

lol

2. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Risk of rush = die = be dead for 15 seconds = game is now 5v4 = your team gets pushed back or killed = enemy team get a tower at mid = enemy team gains ground = they now have a better chance at winning = risk

3. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

In short

risk = risk

seems accurate yet somewhat obvious

4. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Risk of Rush = risk as opposed to Risk of rush = no risk.

5. we need more tickets

RampageX likes this.
  6. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Blue_Tiger wastes tickets like nobodies' business, that's probably the main reason why he is wanting tickets outta here. :rektlord:

Klokinator, hierbo and Blue_Tiger like this.
  7. I agree with Auburn and Monsteri about going from tickets to timer, or timer to tickets. Kittycity also has a good point, we should be able to vote if we want a timer or tickets. Not saying this is necessarily a good idea, but creating a whole 'nother Timer Gather server might make us decide between timers or tickets.

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It's likely the kind of thing worth trying for a day or two and seeing what comes of it.

Re: "removing last stands, the only good part of gather" - they're great if they dont consist of 20+ minutes of both teams sitting on their arse in base, playing with themselves, occasionally trying to goad the other team to come out, followed by eventual death by fall damage or a 10 second fight where someone dies by double slash or bomb. 5 minute endgames are fine but there's nothing keeping it to that length or any pressure on people to leave their bases if the teams are vaguely even at that point.

9. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

What happened to the whole "wall of death" idea? Was that discredited?

Also, long shot, but what if tickets could be increased with gold, "buying" reinforcements. Most maps contain gold in the middle, so both teams would be struggling for central control endlessly in that case. If one team decides to camp they get less respawns, and eventually run out, while the other team keeps getting more. As such the team controlling the center doesn't need to worry nearly as much about death and so they can attack. Although I still see an issue arising if neither team captures middle, where both teams are low so neither attacks (even though there's much more incentive to). This does get rid of most of the "camp strat bst strat" ideology, though, I think?

Tern, Hallic and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  10. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

How about this:
    After both team's tickets go down to 0, a timer of 5 or 10 minutes starts going.
    If the timer goes down to 0, this counts as a loss for both teams.
    If this happens two times in a row, its counted as a loss for both teams.

11. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Mmm. I have to say that hierbo's comment
    rings quite true. We really need something that meets all three of these points.

As he noted, timers alone don't address any of these points; and while tickets positively affect 1) and 3), sadly they negatively affect 2).

So, briefly: how2make tickets not encourage defensiveness?

Basically, it all boils down to having <something> that rewards those who play offensively--such that the reward of <something> is worth the tickets lost to get it.​

I'm sure there are a number of ways to do this, including (but not limited to):
    • @hierbo's suggestion of a TTH and CTF hybrid for Gather (reward: map control --> faster respawn time, easier to overwhelm the enemy);
    • @SeanAS's suggestion of buying tickets with gold (reward: map control --> better gold access, more tickets); and,
    • that idea of a redzone / "wall of death" moving in from each end to concentrate gameplay in the centre of the map (reward: map control --> better endgame prospects)
    But I guess it might be more constructive to focus discussion on rewards and how they do/don't make the investment of offensive play worthwhile (bc, let's face it, the raw mechanics of KAG are always going to favour turtling--it's in the setting of match objectives [and how those objectives, in turn, shape the meta] that we'll find a solution to a problem that's otherwise kinda inseparable from the core mechanics of the game).

Anyone got other ideas for rewarding teams who sacrifice tickets (without, you know, needlessly wasting tickets) to play offensively? I've a few in a proto-idea stage, will post if any of them turn out to be not terrible.

12. SlayerSean

Aww now it's SeanAS's idea... ::P:

As for other ideas though, the old WAR gamemode from Beta's release springs to mind, even though it would need changing to fit.

Apronymous and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  13. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Fixed that for you!

All things being equal, defense is always the inherently safer strategy in anything, ever. The trick is to incentivize taking risks. There's nothing inherently wrong with the balance of KAG that makes it favor turtling, when you think about it. So, putting all the "good stuff" (whatever that is determined to be) closer to the middle is the easiest and most obvious solution. So, good suggestions to all who suggested those. I think its now down to deciding what that "good stuff" will be.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  14. Hallic

Hallic Haxor

Am a fan of tickets. I loved it in alpha and still do in beta. I like the fact that lives have a value, and that it changing during the game: early game it still very expendable, untill late game when it is near 0 and it suddenly becomes more and more valuable.

I personally don't think there should change anything with how tickets work. And i think it works fine for early and mid game. Late game it gives that desired value of live tension(Last man standing) which i really like. I read through the thread and i agree with some of the findings that in late-( and end-) game people will play very cautious. I don't think timers timers will demotivate stalemate and will just result in people sitting it out untill "it's a draw". Besides if there is a stalemate(without good reason) then people always use the Vote nextmap system.

So i have been thinking about it, and may have a system that could promote players in the end-game(by end game i mean when tickets are 0, aka suddendeath) to be more offensive. Therefor making the game even more tense and hopefully fun to watch for the ones that are dead.

The concept i want to propose is based on Coin income. If players have more coins, or get coins more easily in end-game, they will have more to spent on all kinds of explosions/siege weaponry. Such is the nature of kag.

The following should go into effect in the end-game. The exact condition(s) for when this mutator will go into effect can make or break it. (read down below)

[The Mutator]
    The increase in coin income could be achieved as followed:
    -Coin rewards of dmg and kill increase: This values could be for example 1.5 or 2 times as much.
    -100% coin drop, instead of default 33%(i believe it was?)
    -Autoincome: every t-seconds each players gets x-coins. for example= t= 20 sec, x=15 ..........(maybe the amount of autoincome can even slightly increase over time?)

[End-game Condition]
    The exact condition for when this mutator will go into effect is very important. It can break it, replace the problem with new problem or create new exploits. There are 3 ways of doing this:

.1°
    For example:
    -Team A: 0 tickets
    -Team B:30 tickets
    The mutator will only apply to the team with 0 tickets, team A. Team B will have normal coin-settings, until they also reach 0 tickets.
    Consequence of this will be that Team A will be able to defend more easily. So this makes thing asymmetrically. Interesting is however that team B is now pressured to attack, since the longer they wait the more team A gets coins.

.2°
    For example:
    -Team B:30 tickets
    The mutators will apply to both teams if either one of the teams has reached 0 tickets. Team A will likely defend. Team B can either use this opportunely with more force or lame-out in their base.

.3°
    For example:
    -Team B: 0 tickets
    The mutators will apply to both teams, but only when both teams have reached 0 tickets. Since both teams have the same coin-advantages, they could possible both turtle. However it should be less long lasting since they both have more kegs/cata etc.
    Problem with this condition is that before both teams reach 0 tickets one always has more. if this this a fair bit more like the above examples, then the problem described in this thread is still present at that time.

I havnt decided yet which of the above conditions would be best. Maybe anyone else want discuss the above?

Tl;Dr;
    go read it

15. SlayerSean

Except increasing coin gain doesn't really do much (if anything). Sure, you can get more siege weapons, but the other team can get more bomb arrows to destroy said siege weaponry. You can get more bombs, but so can they. Any advantage generated is negated by the fact that the other team also gains it (except in #1). For #1 though, you just give a coin advantage to the team who needs to turtle, thus further encouraging turtling (just buy endless siege weaponry and the opposing team can't keep breaking it) until they break the opponent's tower and ticket count, thus leaving it 0-0 but with one team having an immense coin advantage.

At least that's what I would assume would occur, as it makes sense to me.

16. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: defense always being superior - there are significant things you can do to counter that of course, like minimum ranges on siege engines, more ways to break towers, passive items like a canopy that allow more aggressive movement for the squishy classes, and so on - they are certainly beyond the scope of a quick gamemode shake up though :^)

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.