1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Custom TTH Map Contest w/ STEAM PRIZES

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by Nand, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Nand

Nand Arsonist Tester

In the spirit of reviving the interest in Take the Halls I’ve decided to host a custom TTH map contest. There will be two categories: Creative and Competitive.

STORM Bomb Jump will be split into two servers, one for competitive maps and one for more experimental creative maps. Maps from both categories will be hosted on the respective servers.

Competitive:
    Competitive maps should be reasonably sized (300-550px) and balanced in terms of gold and stone resources. The maximum number of halls is 5, and hall locations should be spaced no more than 150px apart.

Some good examples:
    Pike.png
    Omen1.png

Creative:
    Creative maps carry no restrictions, but remember that innovative game mechanics will be given a bonus.

Some good examples:
    Kraken3.png
    ChutesLadders1.png

Maps can be submitted and win prizes for either or both categories and must be sent in by March 15th. Submissions can be either posted in this thread or messaged to me via forum PM. Maps posted previously to the forums or downloads section are not allowed and maps should be created specifically for the contest.

And now the fun part,

Prizes:

Nuclear Throne
    wastelandk.jpg
    Nuclear Throne is Vlambeers latest action roguelike-like about mutants fighting their way through a post-apocalyptic world.

Neo Scavenger
    ns2.jpg
    NEO Scavenger is a game where you must survive in the wasteland long enough to figure out who you are. Each turn, you must decide where to go, how to scavenge for supplies, and how to deal with anything and anyone you encounter

Monaco
    ss_146a6e8c5808956f15a0a2bd28e8217af35c51b7.600x338.jpg
    Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine is a single player or co-op heist game. Assemble a crack team of thieves, case the joint, and pull off the perfect heist.

That’s right, the TOP 3 entries will all win a prize, with 1st pick going to the highest scoring map, 2nd pick to the highest scoring map in the other category from the winner, and last pick to the next following highest scorer.

Get mapping!

ThE_HeRo, Konoko, Tern and 5 others like this.
  2. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

Map contest for TTFH, YAY!!!

You do know that the maps will never be used?

3. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

I'll use them if you want

EDIT: I just read you're already putting them in a couple of servers, gj

4. FLÄSHYN

hierbo likes this.
  5. moneyzz aww yusssss

hierbo likes this.
  6. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

awkward question has anyone made a map yet :O

7. super_gaming_geek

super_gaming_geek Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

OH YEASSS I WANT NUCLEAR THRONE, IM GONNA WIN THIS THING!!!

8. Nand

Nand Arsonist Tester

:eek:

it's free games guys, pls

PUNK123 likes this.
  9. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

@Nand , here is the map I made I wish you will like it.
    First,tbh this is the first map I had ever made in my life (yeah I made it to win a steam game :p)
    here is the map:
    BJ7_TTH_Map‏.png
    Some Details:
    -4 Halls : #2 shown
    #2 hidden underground (to make it harder to reach them)
    -a short building time
    -the Main halls are Pre-builded , to make the game faster,funnier and better
    -in the mid of the map you will find a castle (well, an ugly one) , under this castle you will find a lot of secrets :
    #traps: >hidden mines
    >bisons
    >sharks
    > spike traps and pits
    #treasures: >2 kegs
    >Dem scroll
    >the scroll that transforms the stone to gold
    >bombs
    >catapult,water ammo,fire ammo,... scrolls
    -in the water you will find a dinghy waiting for you to use it, to get to the other part of the map
    why I think this map would be funny?
    well , if you try it you will find that it will make the game more fast-paced (so no stalemate) the building time is reduced and the hall is well-protected from the beginning. Most of KAG player's use CTF gamemode because most of the time you will find 20 players rushing in the same time and its totally funny and hilarious :D , while in TTH you will just find those who make huge walls and wait for the other team to start the attack (-_-).
    in This map it's not the same , since both of the teams will know that if you control the castle , you will control the game.
    Both of them have equal chances to win .The only thing that would matter is "who is gonna be smarter than others to use the traps for his side and to get more scrolls and more stuff ?". The builders here are a "must-have" in the team since with no builders I bet that no one would reach the victory in this map.
    PS:I know this map isn't a perfect one (as I said before my first map ), but honestly I tried it with my brother and we had a lot of fun (I am not used to have fun while playing TTH !) and that's why I wanted to share it with you and I hope you will like it ::):
    PSS: I didn't put my name on the map and I don't think I will do that , @Nand if you chose this map to run on a server ( which probably won't happen :/ ) then you can use it without giving me credits or anything I don't mind that.
    Have a nice day :wink:

ThE_HeRo, FuzzyBlueBaron and PUNK123 like this.
  10. Colargolator

Colargolator Horde Gibber
    1. KAG Competitive League

Here is the map I made for this contest. It applies for the competitive category
    It's called Mount of Pain, it's got 5 halls and quite a few digging options, varied ways to attack intermediate halls as well as a main "king of the hill" hall ::D:

Hope you guys like it and have fun playing this one !!!

Attached Files:

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  11. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

WaterWays.png
    First map for this contest: WaterWays

Pros:
    -3 Halls
    -Water Map that is very problematic
    -Lotsa fish at the bottom
    - Plenty of stone and gold
    -hidden scrolls
    -A lot of trees and grain at start

Cons:
    -Caves can flood
    -Stalemates could occur though not too likely because of the middle hall and I mean its a war after all

12. blackjoker77777

1. Zen Laboratories

wow after I joined everyone decided to do so.
    You don't have to thank me @Nand :rollseyes:

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  13. Nand

Nand Arsonist Tester

This is a great start! The small size keeps things nice and quick and I do quite like the concept of buried halls. The complex in the center is also pretty cool and gives a nice defensive point for the teams to fight over.

One extra thing to consider: finding ore is hard! There's only one visible patch of ore for builders to mine. You might want to try adding a cave system under the main team halls to make it easier to access ore, or connecting the fields together to give builders a trail to follow.

This is awesome! I definitely want to add this to my map rotation. Do you mind if I make a quick fix though? The top doors in the middle halls are facing vertically instead of horizontally.

I really like the design you used for the middle islands and the trader houses. Funnily enough, I've found stalemates tend to occur commonly on maps with middle halls surrounded by water, at least that's been my experience from hosting the voyager map the devs took out of rotation.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  14. Colargolator

Colargolator Horde Gibber
    1. KAG Competitive League

Right, my bad! Here's the updated version :wink:

Attached Files:

15. blackjoker77777

1. Zen Laboratories

well, I actually wanted finding ore to be a little bit hard :p but as you like. I will edit it and upload it when I finish it, btw thanks for the tip and sorry for the mistake.

16. ThE_HeRo

ThE_HeRo Bison Rider

Seems interesting, but I won't join. I like CTF more than TTH.

17. GreyHCK

GreyHCK Shark Slayer

here's my entry for the competition. Dunno if it's a competitive map or a creative one, maybe more creative..

anyway, this map features: 5 halls, 2 of them are underground (for ultimate rat action) while 1 is located in the middle of an abyss, free to be attacked by any side, even from above; a good amount of resources in the caves underground; hills with faces, many 5p00k5

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Colargolator likes this.
  18. Nand

Nand Arsonist Tester

Nicely done! I see FIST is making its mapmaking presence known

8x likes this.
  19. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Smaller maps are cool! Two halls would make for an exciting match. If there's tiny ctf why not tiny tth? That'd be pretty fun!

20. Nand

Nand Arsonist Tester

I was thinking about that yesterday too, I might try and whip one up. There's a couple of two hall maps currently on the server, but non super tiny. Why don't you make one and submit it?