1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

So KAG is underated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J-man2003, Feb 21, 2015.

?

Do you think KAG is underated?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2017.
  1. Yes

57.1%
  2. No

18.4%
  3. I don't know

7.1%
  4. I don't care

17.3%
  1. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

I'm sorry but achievements and head customization are probably at the bottom of my "fun things" list. I would rather do college level homework than "kill 4 sharks without dying" or "capture 3 flags in one game". I guess everyone's different, but I like to think that it would be more gratifying for players to come back to a brand new experience, which took some guy many hours to make, than some artificially imposed goals to drag players into the same old game.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

there's something wrong and awesome at the same time when most players wont keep playing after buying the game during sales and a little % of players have ~700 hours played. talk about player retention.

we need kag 2 made in cryengine

jimmyzoudcba likes this.
  3. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

This post reeks of pretentiousness.

There are a lot of people who would disagree with you. To each their own, I guess.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Psiklaw likes this.
  4. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

And yet we want to maintain a fair level of community quality, for which higher forms of entertainment (such as actually playing the game) are attractive.
    really though has anyone ever cared about achievements in any game

5. Tern

Lots of people, actually. I think there is a fairly large demand for unlockables and achievements as shown by this post and many others.

Psiklaw and Fuzzle like this.
  6. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I really don't want to see some random player call me an idiotic noob and rip me for not unlocking some random shit head. It just seems like an excuse for people to feel more elite

Fernegulus likes this.
  7. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

This. You speak the truth.

The point is that people who are being called idiotic noobs can fool themselves find solace unlocking shit so they dont feel lesser than the almighty pro players.

8. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

LOL I'm just being honest. I fucking hate doing homework, and looking back I had relatively way fewer problems with doing high school level homework. This stuff makes me feel like a complete idiot, but it has to be done. Really I would rather play KAG for hours and hours, but I literally don't have time for that.

You can't really harness any fun out of achievements without a lot of time on your hands. Even if you have the time, chances are if you've ever played KAG you'd want to go get achievements in some other game. 177,000 people have purchased KAG, and yet the most players you'll ever see on during primetime today is maybe 150.

In contrast look at Garrysmod. It had a large fan-base since the creation of Garrysmod 9+, but the player population didn't multiply by 100 until some youtube streamers started showing off mods like Trouble in Terrorist Town, Deathrun, Hide and Seek, and Zombie Survival. Provided there is a lot of good timing and luck involved in this, and also a good amount of 50% off Steam sales, but a new mod is much more marketable than new achievements.

Not saying we can't have both! Just that you guys are kinda hand-waving mods like they have as much potential as a disabled eunuch with a crooked boner

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Well I'm fine with achievements as long as they are various and interesting challenges that can be done while playing regular matches. Not kill 1 shark, then 2, 4, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000, 100000000.

Tern likes this.
  10. Tern

I'm not saying mods wouldn't help with player retention, I just think unlockable cosmetics + achievements would be the better route to go with KAG, considering optimization is as poor as it is and most mods lack depth and are generally laggy.

11. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

I think better moderation for greifing would go a long way... maybe even some way to undo damage or to treat keg damage as 'from specific team's to prevent team kegging shops and blocks near the tent.
    It's sad that a mechanic like that would even be necessary, but for pubs, it could help increase the player retention.

I think it used to be underrated. Now it seems overrated. There are too many things that need to be addressed that haven't;
    1) Pickup priority. Seriously... when a keg is so important, why are logs and seeds blocking the player from grabbing it.
    2) Downward shield surfing retardation. Mostly to do with arrows not hitting players doing this, so knight get a speed bonus AND are partially invincible (or they seem to be exposed when they really have a gigantic block radius still on them)
    3) A better tutorial. A lot of people are faced with not knowing what to do... there should be a tutorial that is fairly hard to get through unless you play it multiple times, and there should be a sign or note somewhere saying "you should be able to complete this tutorial without dying to be prepared for online play". Make sure they're attempting to perform difficult tasks.

There are some other things I'd personally want but will probably never be implemented (macro prevention & siege captaining). Mostly though, the griefing... I mean, if matches were shorter it wouldnt be a problem but with long matches, a griefer feels like they have wasted way more time depending on how long they're able to grief for and in what way (like.. I've seen them topple the entire defensive tower before).

12. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

shit this is becoming dangerously similar to THAT thread D:

I think unlockables are not meant to entertain current players but to RETAIN possible players who would leave shortly after playing a few times.

13. NastyCamper

NastyCamper Builder Stabber

Humble Bundle is not a good way to get and retain new players. Inclusion of any game in the bundle is a death sentence. If anything we should focus as a community on improving the in-game experience over a shotgun approach to get more players. They simply won't stay given the current state of affairs.

Rayne, Chrispin, Tern and 1 other person like this.
  14. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

Those 3 things I suggested in there were from the top 'most helpful' negative reviews on steam, as well as the number one overlying issue of how easy it is to get griefed.

I would also strongly encourage a better tutorial so people aren't asking online in-game how to play. It doesn't make sense that people still have questions on how to play once they're in an active battle. No one has the time and when they say "gtfo noob" the player takes that as "bad community" even though realistically they are bad for not reading the guides on how to play...... They exist. There are many of them. And they are helpful. Sure many are outdated, but you can still extract as much information as possible from them (RIP drill btw, I thought it was fine but noobs couldn't defend against it).

Such a tutorial would have to push their limits, like getting them to build offensively somehow, and also the other situations such as guarding a builder to the front lines as knight. Other things the tutorial doesn't cover are;
    How good stomping is, and how to perform one properly (I still actually don't even know, sometimes people live and I'm like wtf? I've asked for guild members advice and they just remain silent)
    How to kite as archer, and how to shoot and move around instead of staying in 1 spot. Noobs do that stuff all the time even though archer is way better when you're right in peoples faces since shotgun was introduced. When I say kite, I mean CQC kiting. Maybe this isn't possible to teach in a tutorial level idk... so maybe a scripted event showing how to archer would be better.
    How to play knight properly, and knowing when to battle builder. Seriously. You have no idea how many times I've been builder and tried to ladder their castle to let knights over, the knights meanwhile are struggling to get their kills and then usually die followed by me dying. Then I go knight and clear my way to the front, with no help from the other knights on my team, and then the other knights on my team just sit around...... didn't buy a bomb to get over or anything, so I go and change back to builder (before I stopped playing, I actually just stayed knight/archer and killed outside their wall hoping someone would switch to builder........................................................................................ no one ever does). Then, once I get back, team is all dead (stomped, usually, because they're awful) and then I'm a lone builder against 2+ people (it's usually 2 knights and an archer).
    How to get kills as builder. Often if I run into an archer that was expecting me to just run to their wall while I run in a tunnel under them, I can catch them off-guard and kill them with the pickaxe. You have to know when to abandon this strat though, and it all comes down to timing. Still, getting an archer kill as builder is completely within the realm of possibility.
    How to burger. Seriously, burgers are borderline OP and yet people hardly use them. Also, teaching how to cook and train bison may not be too bad of an idea to throw in there either.

And while I hate achievements, perhaps implementing some such as "FAILED - You failed to survive during the tutorial" it may help people attempt it and remain alive.

I find a lot of people take issue with something that can't be remedied, and that is the fact that something they built can be destroyed. To get people to overcome this fear, I would suggest some offline mode that essentially gives the players a considerably short amount of time (or, whatever, just a timer in general) to put up a defense before some amount of impending doom tries to knock it down, and if they breach a certain amount of your defenses, you fail but get to try again. Have some level(s) at the end that are extraordinarily difficult to defend against. Though, it would be nice if archers could be scripted in such a way that they can fling themselves over like a human player would.

I've suggested all of this before though... none has even gotten response most of the time, or when people do they just flame me on some specific part of the ideas and it gets ignored.

Obligatory @Geti tag

Seriously though, the griefing issue is probably the largest issue... when people get upset the start kegging their own base. I could suggest ways to fix this, but they would be crutches and require rewrites of maps most likely, and that would be to have some small zone that reaches just up to the flag where kegs dropped by people on the same team don't affect ANYTHING. This promotes turtleing to some extent, and people would still be able to keg the flag room, but it would at least prevent some friendly fire and base damage. On top of that though, some sort of admin ability to reverse the last 'X' kegs of damage would also have to be implemented, because the main defensive towers could also be griefed. I'm not talking about fumbles either, but just pure griefing like staying inside a tower with lit keg(s) kind of griefing. Although I'm not sure how possible the latter one is, and the former one bothers me that it should even have to be a thing.

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: "tutorial not good enough" - we know, the approach at the time of release was more or less anyone unable to adapt to the game online is not going to fare well with competitive multiplayer anyway, but @Skinney is working on single player stuff to address this, provide a real challenge and bigger, better crafted learning experience offline (and perhaps provide a come-back for the challenge mode on-line too? some co-op would be a nice learning environment imo, shame it never took off).

The only thing is it needs to be quite careful not to talk too much about things that come in and out of fashion. Small balance changes can gimp some strategies, and talking about them all as if they are equal and timeless is misleading (see: the outdated text in tutorial about archer shooting triple shot)

Re: achievements, they're one of the few things still "on the table" of big developments from us for KAG - it's very boring stuff and its also the kind of thing that'll be trivial to make an "achievement idle" server but people do seem to like them a lot. I'm honestly a little more interested in the trading card stuff, but I need to see how other "pixel" games address the fact that valve wants huge 1080p images for the cards.

Re: reversing damages and griefing - honestly record, report, and they learn their lesson. I hear Furai collects the tears of regretful griefers in jars, he has a whole room of them.

16. ieatpieandlikepie

ieatpieandlikepie Drill Rusher

I honestly believe the game is already pretty good, we dont really need any important changes.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 7, 2015, Original Post Date: Mar 7, 2015 ---
    A lot of my friends told me that it was a copy of terraria, not sure if Kag needs improving or their just stupid

17. AmestriStephen

AmestriStephen Haxor Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

They are just stupid cunts :3
    If you do not play a game, you can't judge that. Especially when people say that KAG is terraria's copy. FFS RE YE DUMB OR WHAT PLAY THAT before saying this kind of bullshit :3
    It has got a similar graphic, and people tend to associate it at terraria
    WHY PEOPLE WHY?

18. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I tihnk the game's a bit overrated.

NastyCamper and PUNK123 like this.
  19. This game is underated becuase of the way we went with it, honestly we couldve fixed are issues back in silent beta when we were all giving ideas but it just went to give the product to the pro players and dont give a darn about the young ones

20. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

The major pain logic is strong with this one

"new players" don't get to affect gameplay because they do not discover bugs, contribute to forum, ect that would make them more well known and allow them to have a larger voice

blackjoker77777 likes this.