1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

King Arthur's Book Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lawrence_Shagsworth, Nov 9, 2014.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Surprised there hasn't been one already, but this is the place to discuss anything and everything about books. From good reads to authors. Also, share what you have been reading lately!

2. 3p1cL0bster

3p1cL0bster Ballista Bolt Thrower

Harry Potter's books are better then the films.
    Let The Blood Bath BEGIN!!!

3. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

Same with Eragon, lol

EhRa, DatNobby and PUNK123 like this.
  4. 3p1cL0bster

3p1cL0bster Ballista Bolt Thrower

I think same with everything, books are better then the films if they are done first, just like @Guro said x)

5. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

I'm reading the walking dead compendiums and I have to say that I like the TV show a lot better :P

AmestriStephen likes this.
  6. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

ah what hellish ideas the irc spawns for shame trying to get people to read that is evil

hierbo and SirDangalang like this.
  7. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

/ ||||||||||| /`````````\ <- Been reading that one
    | ||||||||||| | |
    | ||||||||||| | KAG |
    | ||||||||||| | |
    \ ||||||||||| \_______ |

Here's a quote: "Thy webpage doth not recognize the spacebar."

All likenesses to anything and anyone that exists in real life is are purely coincidental or used for comedic and parodic purposes.

PUNK123 likes this.
  8. Troy_McMaster

Troy_McMaster Catapult Fodder

Just finished reading The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters. It is a story set in 1922 in a tense London. Ex-servicemen are disillusioned, the out-of-work and the hungry are demanding change. In South London, a large silent house is about to take in lodgers. Arrive Lilian and Leonard Barber, a modern young couple of the class of clerks, and the routines of the house are shaken up in unexpected ways. As passion mounts and frustration gathers, no once can foresee just how far-reaching and devastating the coming disturbances are going to be. Very vividly written and makes for a compelling read.

Onto Can't and Won't by Lydia Davis now.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Sytoplasma like this.
  9. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

So a couple of months ago I was walking around in a bookstore, not looking for anything in particular. After a while I happened to stumble into this corner dedicated to fantasy and science fiction, my cup of tea.

I know a lot of people keep saying not to judge a book by its cover, but in this case it was a good thing.

[​IMG]

I found this on a shelf, surrounded by books covered with illustrations of dragons, bloodied swords, mages and all that other stuff you might expect to find in a high fantasy book. This one stood out like a talking fish.

Picked it up, skimmed through a couple of pages and found myself intrigued enough to give it a shot, I had to get my fantasy-fix somehow. I went to the counter and purchased the book. Went home, started reading.
    Wow. This is good. I found myself devouring the book in no time. Staying up in bed until 4am, "just one more page." Last time that happened was back in 2006-2007, when I was reading The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden.

The book spins everything around in an interesting way, quite different from other fantasy series. I saw a tagline somewhere, "What if the dark lord had won." I think that gives you a pretty good idea of what it is all about. Imagine reading a book that takes place centuries after the events in Return of the King, with Sauron being the victor. It is really damn interesting, it has some fantastical elements, but it never goes overboard with it, everything feels very rooted in reality, weirdly enough.

If you like fantasy, definitely give this one a go, you will be kept on the edge until the very last page- no joke. It is also part of a trilogy, the rest of the books are just as good!

Edit: Book, book, book, book, book, book, books, book, book, books.

10. PussyDestroyer

PussyDestroyer Bison Rider

Witcher ;3

IMG_20141218_211610.jpg

Fernegulus likes this.
  11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I think I'll pick this up, looks good and I've heard nothing but good stuff about Sanderson.

Currently I'm reading Flowers for Algernon
    I just finished American Gods - Neil Gaiman, earlier this week, was amazing, especially because I'm very much so into mythology (and really need to read write name).

I'm halfway through Plutarch's Lives of Noble Grecians and Romans Vol 1 as well, but I know it'll be a hot minute before I finish that up.

12. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

Yea im reading the books, dumbledore just rekt the ministry of magic at the trial.

13. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

I have been reading the Barnes & Noble H.P. Lovecraft The Complete Fiction.

Lovecraft is a strange man and I love the occult and supernatural kind of horror in the stories. <3

20150116_223659.jpg 20150116_223724.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    PUNK123 likes this.
  14. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

Orson Scott Card is something that I enjoy. Though on a very limited basis. Extended exposure may cause severe brain damage, or even death.

DatNobby, hierbo and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  15. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I got hold of this in September, read it pretty quick. It's a great book, and apparently there's a sequel set in Scotland.

Got round to reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas at the New Year, it's everything I had hoped it would be. Hunter S. Thompson stuff is fascinating, made even greater with Ralph Steadman's illustrations.
    Also picked up Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, which is worth the read.

16. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

OSC is teh bomb. I think I re-visit Ender's Game every year or so, and have re-read much of the rest of the series at least once or twice. Also been meaning to branch out and read some of his other ones, as I know there's a whole heap of them. Just need to find the time. ::(:

Currently I'm still reading through my course books for this summer unit on Victorian literature I'm doing (so Tale of Two Cities, Black Beauty, Wuthering Heights, Silas Marner) as well as going through a bunch of the Vic poets. Once I'm done, however, I'm thinking I'll take the month-break I get before Autumn session starts to have a re-read of Art of War and The Prince--I like to try and revisit those every few years (they keep getting better as I'm able to bring more and more life-experience to bear on understanding the texts :3).

BlueLuigi and Superblackcat like this.
  17. Hospitalizer

Hospitalizer Shopkeep Stealer

Blood meridian is my all time favorite book/audiobook definitely a must read
    Also roadside picnic, metro 2033 :B):

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  18. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

I like Airman by Eoin Colfer. It's not particularly insightful or anything, it's just sword fights and a princess and flying machines. A really fun read really.

Basically a boy named Conor lives on this little island nation with it's own monarchy. His father and the king are good friends so naturally he hangs around with the princess a lot. When he shows a interest in flying, he is instructed by the king's friend Victor in all sorts of lessons, sword-fighting, martial arts, medicine, but especially on flight (this being before the invention of the aeroplane). Unfortunately, he discovers a plot to overthrow the king, and Conor is thrown into prison on a nearby island. So he must escape and take revenge/rescue the princess.

19. StarskyGianni

StarskyGianni Shipwright

Just want to present my favorite book, Vendredi ou Les Limbes du Pacifique (Friday or The Other Island in english) by Michel Tournier, a french writer. It is not a book for nerds, I'm sorry lol. In fact, I always loved the Robinson Crusoe story. And this rewriten version is more philosophical. I swear, if you are receptive to the message of the author, this book can be a way of life.
    That is my case. :^)
    I always liked this kind of book, same thing for movies. If you like that style, I can also recommend you The Stranger by Albert Camus. In my opinion, french people has always been the best in art. Except for music :^)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Psiklaw likes this.
  20. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

my nigger :^) camus
    also im re-reading these now:
    [​IMG] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind-Up_Bird_Chronicle
    [​IMG] W. Somerset Maugham - The Narrow Corner (1932)

Mods: BlueLuigi