1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG single-player features, menus, the engine

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by trainchaser, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

There is plenty of room for additional colors in the map loader considering there were 16,777,216 possible unique colors.

2. Boea

Boea Such Beta

That'd probably require some intervention of an editor to compress the layered data down into a single layer, at least for the sake of sanity for developers. (Such that as long as there are no conflicts between the pixels on any layers i, j, layers 0..n can compact down to a final color. Though this doesn't really hold up when you want 80 mines within the same tile, for that, ensure that there remains a some amount of the color space dedicated to unique definitions, some kind of parser that can adequately save such definitions within the metadata of the image, and probably another parser within the map reader than can adequately understand such information)

[tl;dr, let's rediscover hash tables, and dictionaries]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  3. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

While I do agree that there are plenty of colors, one thing I will say is that in terms of the sanity of a map maker one does not want to stretch the number of colors on a drawing-based map creation system. There are certainly over a million different variants of the color green on there, but this does not mean it is easy to see the difference between them all.

I would say, actually talking from a small amount of experience with helping make a image-to-map reader for a game I am working on with a friend, that 100 different colors is a comfortable amount to deal with with image-map-making, 200 being what I would say the max should be...and KAG is starting to push it with about 143 colors right now...(Could be worse, I have not updated my palette in a long time.)

Of course like before, my personal solution is drawing similar-color things on separate layers and combining them later, so one might as well do that assuming they never change this. Funny enough this is all very relevant to the project I have been working on, it not only uses image-maps for the levels but it actually uses 2 files to load the levels like you all are talking about. An image and a Metadata for things that do not save easily on images.

PinXviiN likes this.
  4. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Well, sometimes you want a teal stone door with the color tag on the right, on a stone background but no dirt background. (Right, Stone Door, Teal Team, Stone BG, no dirt BG)

I think the largest issue to bear would be exposing entity data (entity team, orientation, content...), and the map drawer would fall out of the parser at that point. At the very least, it'd allow the map drawer to drop the assumption that all non-air/backed tiles are always obscuring dirt backwall.

5. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

No I mean that you'd have to have the mechanisms go over other tiles, so either you'd have to rely on the automatic filling, which isn't always accurate, or then you'd..

Wait, I just realized that they'd be a block in themselves. Nvm.

Would still probably reduce the amount of color swapping though.

6. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

The solution is simple. Nag @AsuMagic to implement a "draw mechanisms over the top of blocks" feature in his editor. Done. ::P:

Dargona1018, blackjoker77777 and Asu like this.
  7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

IIRC Skinney is also planning an editor that'll likely end up becoming an "official" one - people with external editor development stuff might want to get in contact with him via PM.

We'll likely develop a "new" png format after the loading and saving of the old one works 100%, that wouldn't have to be "human paintable", and could therefore either include an accompanying config or image-embedded arbitrary data, with all the blobs at exact (not tile) positions (and able to overlap if necessary), full inventories etc, and potentially even select rules properties, but it'll take some time to get there, naturally. It'll be nice to have /savemap back even without it though.

8. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

kodysch and blackjoker77777 like this.
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

In fourteen-hundred-ninety-two, Geti launched the build while nude.

Dargona1018, Noburu and Psiklaw like this.
  11. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

Columbus build lol

Klokinator and Fernegulus like this.
  12. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Wait till you see the Obama build.

It's gonna destroy the KAG economy.

Noburu, Dargona1018 and Duke_Jordan like this.
  13. Bint

Bint Haxor

I think this fixed the picking-up-allied-players-when-drowning bug ::(:

14. Colargolator

Colargolator Horde Gibber
    1. KAG Competitive League

Good job for changing the launcher font, this was long needed

15. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

How does this make sense

16. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

'Murica, man.
    Just...

'Murica

17. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It makes as much sense as how the Gandhi build will make all players lose the ability to attack. For an entire build, everyone will be playing creative mode.

18. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

About the mechanisms, there should be a way to "stick" a wall to a life that allows it to go up/down/left/right, etc that would allow the enemies to hit a button by mistake that traps them into a fully blocked off room.

19. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

We often blame myself to be too impatient but it is now eight months i'm waiting this update :

[​IMG]

20. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

^^ I still cant wait for it, the campaign gets me the most, i love campaigns ..3.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015