1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

ReBalance mod discussion

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Rayne, Mar 13, 2015.

1. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

yea i mean, back in classic arrows used to hit multiple targets if they were close enough, maybe something similar could be introduced, certainly would be interesting

Verzuvius likes this.
  2. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

mfw. Damage = offence, stun = defence. single shot = stun, shotgun = damage
    But this is a game, people play for fun. Some people like playing up close with an archer, and they should not be told "no, screw you, archer should wait back in tower 5eva and pick off enemies with lucky longshots". It's perfectly fine to have close range archers, so long as it's not overpowered. And if you're complaining it is right now, then the entire point of this mod (ReBalance) is to fix that.
    Besides, a CQC archer is screwed if (s)he is entirely incapable of kiting (unless the knight is also unable to take advantage of that).

3. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Remember to not assume things about this mod. This thread is not a place to be angry, make sure to be reasonable and try playing the mod first. Last night we had a 7v7 that was plenty fun. What we value more than discussion without having played is feedback from the people have tried it first hand. Remember the goal of this is to make the game more fun for all parties.

Archers sitting at the top of a tower spamming is not fun imo. It's more fun to try and kite and shot a knight because you're fragile if you mess up you die. Shotgun is the only reason archer is even bearable in the current game. There might need to be some tweaks to archer currently, and I have been looking for some things to change about knight a little bit. But again I haven't seen a lot of the people being upset actually play the mod with 10-12 people.

Also I don't know raynes thoughts on this, but the mod is a community effort that's why we are trying to include you guys with feedback. That's why we want you to get friends together and play some matches on the server. I don't think we would be opposed to anybody else joining us in coding the mod either. If you have an idea you can try coding it and we can likely help you test it. A lot of things we are not eager to code ourselves sometimes because we have a bias of how we think the game should be. However if someone codes something it makes it a lot easier for us to just let it be tried.

--

Nothing is set in stone what we have on the front page is basically what we want to try for the first wave. Once we have finished making sure everything there is ready. We'll go into a testing/feedback mode. We want lots more testing before we change anything. Then we'll go for a second wave of changes/removing/fixing ect. Then we'll repeat.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 20, 2015, Original Post Date: Mar 20, 2015 ---
    Bomb satchel is currently not class specific. (You just buy it at the archer shop).

4. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

So it could be a good consumable tool for builders to sink their money into besides having to buy things for other classes? That seems like quite a good thing to me.

As for testing, I always check to see if there's anybody playing it. Why not remove the password? Then there might be more frequent matches.

Which is why adding arrow piercing would be great! Then you'd actually be less effective if you chose to camp, you couldn't get off as many good multi-hits because you'd be firing from a steeper angle. Currently all that going up close to kite does is make it a little easier to aim and respond faster to knights.

I think shotgun is kind of frustrating on the other end though, it shouldn't be the only thing that makes archer bearable.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  5. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Because someone (or their friend) will have to have seen this thread and not be all "hur dur this shit is stupid". People are quick to jump to conclusions about things without trying to really understand them or realize this is a work in progress.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  6. startselect3

startselect3 Arsonist

Yes Rayne, I did. Anyways this thing is really cool, hopefully most of this stuff is added in. Also the digging knife should do some damage to knights and stun them or something, for getaways and stuff like that, that would be neat.

7. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

because the mechanics are not finalized and I don't want people getting the wrong idea about it as noburu said.

Arrow piercing as a special attack is something I've always wanted, but geti ignored me in favour of the shotgun. I can add it in a similar fashion as the builder axe, using a new menu in the inventory to toggle which special to use. I don't think piercing should be added in any other way.

Although, I'll hold off til the second round of changes to see if its needed at all, archer is getting a lot of love in the first round.

8. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I personally think that it is reasonable archers can only damage archers and builders with their knives. Why does everyone seem to be pushing for making archers OP? IMO knights should still be the "meat" of the units fielded during a match. Builders and archers should supplement them in order to win.

9. BucketEmpty

BucketEmpty Horde Gibber

Just a reminder, let's not feature creep guys.

This is supposed to be a re-balance mod, I hear a lot of talk about adding in new little things like arrow piercing, archer knife, shield bash stun, crafting, etc etc etc. It's good that we are coming up with all these ideas but let's make sure we don't lose what we love about KAG, I know we are taking it in waves of testing but we should try not to get toooo out of hand.

I just get this scary image in my head of kag turning into something completely different and messy.

NinjaCell, hierbo, Rayne and 2 others like this.
  10. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Tbh, I really, really like this. It's a parallel to how mine comes from the knight shop and is available to all classes. Also, allowing builders to access it makes for fascinating plays where:

1) builder places/lights bomb satchel,
    2) builder places a quick layer of wood around bomb satchel,
    3) builder runs off whooping, laughing, spamming 25257878,
    4) bomb satchel goes off before enemy is able to hack through the wood and disable the bomb. :teabag:

Simple glorious.
    I guess? But, honestly, if the knife is doing, what, 0.5 hearts a strike, then it's a very, very ballsy archer who tries to 1v1 a knight with it.

11. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

That sounds really broken if you ask me, the entire purpose of the bomb satchel is to be a counter-able version of the bomb arrow. I will be restricting it to only archers, as I don't want knights using them either. Also, the mine is available for all classes, this is true, but knights can take advantage of them the most with their shields.
    I don't want the knife to damage players at all personally.

Aside from recoding the builder(from scratch) to actually work well, all the planned changes for the first round are on the front page, and will not be changing much. We'll adjust minor details, but for the most part I agree with you. I have faith that we'll only need 1 round of public testing before we can move on to other things like siege and workshops.
    Of course, we'll version control our code for each release so if someone doesn't like the current version, they can always dl an older one for them to host on a server themselves.

12. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

I never see anybody on the server. What time are you guys usually on (timezone pls so I can compare)? I see little point in joining on my own. If it weren't for that I would have tried this already :/

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  13. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Truth. But forgive me for warming to a broken builder--having had my favourite class broken (in a non-OP way) for what feels like forever now. :QQ:

14. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

You can still test it out solo and give us feedback. Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

hierbo likes this.
  15. Azazyl

Azazyl Shipwright

You and Skinney totally rambled on about it for a good long while. I didn't misunderstand anything. Whether or not you changed your mind later and I wasn't around for it is another story. Also Potato's idea rocks.

16. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Well ok like the arrow crafting or not, you NEED t oimplement drill propelling in water

17. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

We tried to make Geti give the archers a piercing shot in closed beta, but no, we needed legolas and grappling hooks :rektlord:

18. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

I'm still in the camp of giving arrows more variable damage.

IMO piercing projectile attacks are better suited to siege, and that's something I would like to visit in the near future. Re-tooling siege, some random thoughts in no particular order.

General
    Changes
    - Gunner's camera is shifted towards facing direction
    *better vision for the gunner, currently your projectiles can extend past your screens edges
    - Increased damage taken from fire, increased fire duration
    *counter-able counter to siege, just add water
    - Fire spreads to passengers
    - Only the driver can immobilize siege
    - Immobilization only temporarily disables wheels
    * allows siege to be captured and reversed for counter rekking

Catapult
    Changes
    - Longer stone range
    *offensive incentive
    - Increased minimum charge time
    *reduces defensive spam
    - Added workbench
    *allows boulders to be crafted where they're needed

Light Ballista (new siege)
    Description: Fires pin-point accurate bolts from long range, piercing through even the hardiest of Knights.
    Role: Sniping and offensive area denial.​

Heavy Ballista (re-tooled ballista)
    Description: Fires arcing explosive bolts from long range, turning even the hardiest fortifications into rubble!
    Role: Long range siege.
    Changes
    - Removed spawning
    - Removed class change
    - Longer reload time
    *gives defenders more time to react
    - Narrower arc of fire
    *bolts follow a more predictable and counter-able trajectory
    - Higher minimum angle
    *bolts will be fired at higher angles allowing for longer reaction times
    I personally don't like how cumbersome it is to move siege around and would like to look into interesting ways to solve that problem (bunny hopping siege?).

Gurin, Vampire, hierbo and 5 others like this.
  19. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

I liked the ability to spawn on them. I feel like you should bring outposts back that cost 100 gold, are like a solid shop, and drops gold if destroyed.

20. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

i think siege is just too squishy overall, 2 bomb arrows are all it takes to destroy catapults and ballistas, i suppose it makes sense for catapults to be killed in 2 shots but ballistas are much bulkier and have a shield built into them, honestly i feel it should take 3-4 bomb arrows to destroy ballistas, and as of right now 1 keg does not completely destroy any siege, imo it should because its a massive explosive.