1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Steam now allows game devs to permaban players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by link6155, Apr 30, 2015.

?

Do you agree with the changes in Valve's ban policy?

1. YES!!!

19 vote(s)
    76.0%
  2. Nah

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

http://steamcommunity.com/actions/WhatIsGameBan
    This isn't directly related to KAG, but I thought I share it anyways. Valve changed it mind when it comes to banning players now. Before devs were not allowed to ban players from a game permanently. Valve reasoning behind this is "Because nobody likes playing with cheaters.", which I fully agree with.

I know that after KAG was launched on Steam, the ban policy was changed to match Valve's policy. As a result, it became harder to deal with griefers/trolls. There was at one point a server made to hold people that violated KAG rules, but it seems like the server is gone now.

Thoughts?

FuzzyBlueBaron and Solaris like this.
  2. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

no words describe the happiness im feeling...

FuzzyBlueBaron, Solaris and link6155 like this.
  3. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

This wont stop anything for free to play games... steam is free, making 3 accounts is free (e-mail, steam, game) and masking IP is possible.

For purchasable games though, I guess it's half-decent. However, what if someone that is legitimately skilled gets banned? I wonder how much proof is needed. I'm not saying I'm against it, just that the term "cheat" is pretty vague. Especially when the devs can basically you know, revoke a game and steal $5~$60 from people and what can they argue?

PUNK123 and Darknighte9 like this.
  4. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Depends on what you mean by stealing. If it's in the ToS that you can be banned permanently from online play for hacking, then I don't see much of a problem with it. Usually bans aren't permanent rather instead a long period of time like a month and ban appeals are always an option. I'd also consider the point of view of the developer you say the dev is stealing $5-$60 from a player. But if a player is repeatedly hacking and deters new players from buying the game because they hear, "full of hackers. online play is ruined." I really don't think there is much of a question what the devs should be doing.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    FoxyLady, FuzzyBlueBaron and Corpsey like this.
  5. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

Yeah, I suppose, good point. The cheat community is going to be pissed though lol, and I feel bad for the free to play models because those are probably going to take a hit, no?

6. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

How does it affect free to play model games? Also I feel like it's still appropriate to have a banned players only server list. Perma-banning from a game especially if it's online only seems a bit rudimentary.

Potatobird likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

link6155 likes this.
  8. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

Because people are going to cheat, even if it means moving to another game. If that means they have to play FtP so that they can cheat, they will. This makes it so that FtP games will have more cheaters, because they will be getting banned from games they paid for and move on to attacking what's left. So, if those games get flooded with hackers and cheats, no one is going to want to play them. Of course it depends on the game, and how FtP works, but especially those 1) without VAC control already and 2) with an accessory-only shop (not PayToWin) will be targeted. Hell, I'm pretty sure there were people who bought 4~5 copies of CSGO on multiple accounts so they could cheat when the price dropped to $2.70.

There are still ways to be a shitter but at least something can be done about hackers for purchase-once games.

Though, this is a little sketchy:
    "For more information about a game ban in a specific game, please contact the developer of that game."

I mean, even the page in the OP is like, how did you even find the link? It almost seems fake. I guess though, more information is provided to devs than the public about it, but even still, how are the devs going to know without community help in figuring out who is hacking? Edit: What I mean is, contact them HOW? It is all very... vague.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  9. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

The page is on the official Steam website, I would be impress if this was a fake. As for how I found it, it's on several news site. This is where I've read it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-30-game-developers-can-now-permanently-ban-you-from-steam

When I buy a game, I want to make the most out of it. I'm not going to put up with repeated offenders and people who abuse the old steam policy. Since people couldn't be permabanned, it sends a message to griefers that they can go around ruining the game for everyone until they get banned off of every server.

Back then, permabans were only made when evidence showed beyond a doubt they've had malicious intent (whether that's griefer or other forms of abuse). Proof would usually be video recording with chat logs.

10. Verrazano

I don't think this is necessarily true of course people are going to continue to cheat. But someone who cheats in one game doesn't necessarily cheat in another. I also think this decision will have almost zero effect on anything. This isn't really like "oh no, people can be banned now". It's more like we can move those people who are in game purgatory where they can only play on hacker only servers into officially perma banned. Those people likely weren't even playing the game anymore.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.