1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

We should make a Designated Mod-Tester Team

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShamWow-SuperRag, May 2, 2015.

1. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

I'm sure some admin can help you with that; I don't remember where but if you search in the forums there's a thread about server requirements or something like that.

2. ShamWow-SuperRag

ShamWow-SuperRag zamn Donator Tester

1st post just edited. Added PeggleFrank to potential Modder and his server as a potential one.

EDIT: If you do make a EU server, I might lag I lil' bit on that

3. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Though nice, I don't perfect ping is as much a necessity for mod testing as it is in competitive environments.

4. ShamWow-SuperRag

Lets get ready to test! Can I get your guys skypes? I also need your guys steam names. Going to make a group for this.

5. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

My steam name is wormman1 and nickname is normalname. No avatar. I don't have skype tho. What mods are we going to test?

6. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

My steam name is Toffie0, I'll tell you my skype on steam, just for it to not be blurted on a forum page....

7. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

I don't actually have the hardware for running a dedicated server yet, but I can run a listen server.

Well, that's a lie; I could run a dedicated server on this machine, but there are a lot of things in memory at all times and I would hate to leave it running overnight for fear of the electric bill. Until I actually order and assemble it, I'm limited to listen servers... meaning only temporary test servers.

EDIT: Also, my Steam name is PeggleFrank, and my skype is just the same.

8. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Servers hosted at home are utterly bad for the following reasons :
    • Everytime you're using resources your server requires (CPU/RAM or network), the server will most likely get laggy (high/unstable ping or problems like bombs blowing up 5 seconds later after they should).
    • Until you're running your server 24/7 (Which is most likely way more costy than getting a decent VPS, I would bet. Plus there are chances of overheating over time, power/net loss), your server will be shutdown a lot of time.
    • Sometimes desktop hardware may not run KAG well, especially AMDs, which are way more concentrated on multi-core performance rather than single-core performance, which is not really good for KAG)
    • Dynamic IPs may piss some users quite well.
    • You're most likely running windows so you can't use TCPR which is used by KScript that you could wish to use at some point.
    For barely $3/mo, you can get a proper VPS that can run a okay/decent server for KAG (~20 players)... If at least you know a host not trying to steal every single cent you have. I'm now using principally dedimax (which is located in france only). The LC1 server at 2.28€/mo could run my moarCommands testing server... Spamming commands, admin abusing with an editor and the server wasn't overloading. Though there's a little issue with KAG on this host but I could fix it disabling IPv6 (@ furai or others that wonders : no, I haven't found any other solution to fix this).

9. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

Since you seem to know more about server hosting than I do, would having high up/down speeds help with that? I ask because, as of now, my up/down is extraordinarily high, and there usually isn't too much network activity.

Also, I'm not hosting a dedicated server on my PC. Just clarifying, in case it sounded like I was going to.

10. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

KAG does not require an extremely large bandwidth (10mbps should go fine) but if you're downloading stuff, it may go a little too low if you're downloading hard (especially p2p, i.e. torrents) and kill the ping. But KAG is eating a rather large amount of CPU for a game of the kind. If you have a decent i3/i5/i7 or a recent Pentium or high end AMDs (low-end are basically a load of shit cores put into a processor, KAG will principally use a core, so AMDs often fits real bad) and enough RAM (1GB will do), you can run a server properly.

11. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

Good. I don't download things often. I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶o̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶t̶i̶s̶f̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶o̶g̶n̶i̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶.̶

FuzzyBlueBaron, Draco1991 and Asu like this.
  12. Draco1991

Draco1991 Haxor

I can host an Australian server if needed, it's not 24/7 but should be sufficient if its testing mods. Just PM me if you need it up.

13. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

+1
    I can help with sprites if ya want.

14. ShamWow-SuperRag

Hmmm, summer break is coming up. I'll add all you guys on a steam group. Until this last school week is over, I cant do anything serious. ASU, help with servers would be amazing.

Eragon, that would be really good too. Whats your steam name?

I think I added all of you who offered your steam name.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  15. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Dun have steam :P

16. jarrydthysse

jarrydthysse Bison Rider
    1. Trueblue [TB]

+1
    I could help, I have a really robust PC and im a really good artist
    Steamname is "Hûvy" if you need

EhRa likes this.
  17. ShamWow-SuperRag

Okay everyone, we need to get this thing started. Our first meetup: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...ST BUG TESTING MEETUP&iso=20150606T1430&p1=12

We are just gonna test the already up servers for now, but if one of you has a server that we can put mods on and test them, then that would be great. I also have set up a Social Forum. Its called KAG Feature/Mod Testing. Please join so I can keep tabs on all the people who want to make continue with this idea.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  18. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

May be a tad hard for aus, it's at 4:30 am here... So I may skip this one

19. ShamWow-SuperRag

Hmm... Next time I'll keep Aus in mind when I'm scheduling something.

20. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

Not sure I'll be awake by then.