1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Skybridges still exist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FinDude, Nov 23, 2011.

1. FinDude

FinDude KAG Guard Tester

While I'm sure there is much work to be done with zombieboulderkegs, overhauling a functional UI and catering to people who will not play the game anyways, or whatever it is that is going on, skybridges need to be addressed sooner or later.

As it stands, KAG gameplay consists of building a large pit, building a large slab of stone next to the pit, and building a tall tower. After this, you waste units on the enemy slab or build a taller tower&skybridge combo than they do until the other team runs out of units.

While the heart of the problem lies in team-only vertical travel, skybridges, their nonexistant cost and the fact that they cannot be countered with anything but a second skybridge are dumbing the gameplay down immensely.

I would personally love to see a test build with the old limited horizontal support system (fixed at that), if not for any other reason than to have slightly less retarded game to play. Experimenting with team-only vertical travel removal would be great as well.

Noburu, Jackal, Miczu and 3 others like this.
  2. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the people who build skybridges will just find some new cheap thing to do every time we stop them, like building one out of stone, though I do have an idea on what we could do, if you are playing and see your ally building a skybridge, vote to kick him, it wont stop the problem but every-time they get kicked they will think twice before doing it again.

Valkyrie likes this.
  3. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Eric, two things.

1. When there was horizontal support people didn't build skybridges.

2. You can't vote to kick someone for building a building, no matter how annoying it may be.

I like this idea.

4. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

1.I wasn't on during the horizontal support so I don't know, and I said they will just find some new thing to do, not that they would build sky-bridges
    2.you can vote to kick someone for any reason, but It wont get passed unless people agree
    3.skybridgeing is like griefing to me, now this is only an opinion so feel free to ignore this one, it makes it less fun for others who don't like them, because now they have to waste time building a counter bridge, now most people think griefing only applies to destroying, but you can build grief too, I've seen it done, a guy switched team and put stone behind doors so that the flag couldn't be turned in

5. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

But Eric, what Neat's saying is the unlike any other griefing, Skybridges can actually help your team.
    Many times they actually don't, but that's simply due to lack of skybridge focus; Ever seen a team focus only on a skybridge?

So in that sense, using a votekick is abusing it's function. Just because you can mark people doesn't mean you can do it for any reason: Can I kick a guy who was just a dick to me last game? No, not at all.

I also, personally, can't think of an overly abusive tactic skybridge builders could turn to. And if there is, we'll do the same thing as skybridges: nerf it.

6. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

helping your team win is not immune to being griefing, if an admin uses map editor to take down a wall, its still griefing, even though he was destroying enemy blocks and helping his team.

to help this post be more on topic I am adding to it, another problem we may face is if we nerf the bridges so they cant support themselves, spike traps will be more time consuming to build

7. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

I could live with spike traps taking longer to build given that next to scratching their arses that's the majority of what most builders do.

8. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Agreed.

9. IloveElectro

IloveElectro Base Burner

Skybridge destroy the gameplay of KAG we should stop this sort of building.

10. Carver

eeeh, That's not really griefing, it much more of abuse and corruption. In addition, your example is griefing towards the opposite team. Regular players can do very little to harm the other team (In the strictest sense, so switching teams to grief would still be "griefing your own team").

You're only griefing if you're hampering one team. That means:
    • Destroying a friendly structure
    • Letting enemies in (Purposefully, not accidentally)
    • Creating obstacles in your team's path (e.g. Spikes everywhere)
    • Wrongfully kicking another team's player (This is relatively difficult, though)
    • Administrative abuse
    As much as you might dislike skybridges, most of people who build them have good intentions, they aren't trying to hurt the team, they may not realise many people dislike skybridges... and ignorance isn't griefing.

That being said, I'd love to see a new test build go up with the support system. Even thinking about it, we don't get too many crazy structures that would break those old physics, only really skybridges.

11. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

You're confusing griefing with a lot of other things. Griefing is behaviour designed to antagonise and annoy people on your own team. Therefore, you are not griefing by destroying the enemies buildings. You're not griefing by building a skybridge, and having your enemies get annoyed at that. You're not even griefing if you're using map editor to help your own team. That would be mod abuse and cheating, not griefing.

Spike traps will not be time consuming to build because you can just put down background stone walls which take little time to build. You don't even need that many to actually support the bridge to the area you want it. The only thing that nerfing bridges cuts down on is:

Skybridges and

Natural bridges

Natural bridges from one gap to another should be easy enough to support with castle back wall. Skybridges on the other hand are a mess of physics and you'd need massive pillars to support anything that big.

Damn you carver and beating me to it xD

12. Carver

Lol Neat, us guards and our long-ass posts.

13. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

you both seem to misunderstand what an opinion is.
    And more importantly, again, griefing is not limited to hurting your own team, its hurting the game in general, and as I said, my personal opinion, is that skybridge building is griefing, yald really need to calm down, getting so worked up over something really stupid.

14. NigerV2

NigerV2 Shopkeep Stealer

Kfg have 3 ways:
    Sky(skybridge)
    Underground
    Ground
    Why not add zappelins and kill skybridges already ?

15. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

Whenever people build skybridges, it typically helps my team because
    A.) We're not the idiots jumping from a height high enough to kill them
    and
    B.) If it doesn't kill them, it fatally injures them in such a way that a single wayward arrow kills them.

And zeppelins were made in the late 1800s or so

16. FinDude

FinDude KAG Guard Tester

We already have catapults for the so called sky path, in any case.

Also, Eric: Please get out of this thread. You are not contributing.

17. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

Just because people disagree doesn't mean I'm not contributing, I was just voicing a simple way to stop them.
    if anything the people reacting to me saying that sky-bridging is griefing should leave, I flat out said to ignore that part.
    I am going to leave though, only because I dislike causing issues.

18. NigerV2

NigerV2 Shopkeep Stealer

Its a game!GAME!Game is not supposed to be realistic !!!
    Catas is not sky path.Cata more ground path

19. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

I say we put in ballista and give them the ability to shoot up and break teambridges!

Noburu and sj67 like this.
  20. FinDude

FinDude KAG Guard Tester

This is the wrong way to address the issue. We already had the problem solved at one point.
    For some reason that to this date remains a mystery to me, the change was revoked and skybridges were reimplemented. Then came the abysmal teambridge changes.