1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Skybridges still exist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FinDude, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

But Fin when Horizontal Support was removed we all complained due to it not working like it should, I mean, I understand your point but if skybridges are removed would that really help the games... length per say? Now I know we're talking about the effects it's causing such as lack of team co-operation but if we remove skybridges will that solve the problems? In my opinion: No.

2. NigerV2

NigerV2 Shopkeep Stealer

We need add something to replace skybridge

3. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

That's a poor excuse.

The change was revoked because it dawned on the developers that skybridges ended stalemates. It's somewhere on the tumblr.

4. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Did we? I don't remember that. I distinctly remember the changes being revoked in favour of "creative building" because the developers believed that having a horizontal support limit was limiting creativity.

5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Well actually Neat, people still built skybridges despite the horizontal support. There were a couple glitchy building patterns that let you build horizontally to infinity. However I don't think that was the problem. The problem is that MM just said "screw it" and took out support instead of fixing it. Geti has said that he liked the support.

IMO we not only did limited horizontal building, but some way of limiting vertical building.

Also we shouldn't be able to shoot through drawbridges. Everyone was like "yay that means we can shoot people off of bridges" but if you'll remember that was one of the main problems of skybridges, that people can shoot at you with a massive height advantage.

@Eric: are you talking to use through google translate or something?

Noburu likes this.
  6. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I think that 20 overall blocks support and no support for drawbridges would be perfect.

7. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Oh right yeah, now I remember.

But yeah i'm pretty sure if they fixed the bugs then people would not be able to build skybridges in response.

8. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

You know what else ends stalemates? Team lives.

9. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I think the only issue I have is that it makes removing enemies from a spike pit harder.
    Though in reality, stone is preventative enough. (It's just that some people still don't stone-line their pits :3)

contrary, do you think making bombs pass through, and still allowing travel via drawbridges (while removing shooting) would be a good fix?

10. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Why not add a feature to change the catapult firing angles... could help with your sky bridge dilemmas if you could aim up more. The dilemma I found with sky bridges was from the lack of an effective counter other then a skybridge. So reintegrating the old-school building restrictions is fine and all; but as long as the sky is very high and there isn't anything that is truly effective at destroying a bridge in the sky there will always be sky bridges in this game.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The problem with catapults aiming up more is that then you just have rocks raining on your base all goddamn day. Oh I have a castle but no, some fucker 3 screens away is holding click and hoping to see "YOU KILLED SOMEBODY" and now it's falling down. We changed the angle because of how un-fun that is.

The only issue I actually have with skybridges are the ones that are actually skybridges - the ones 50 or so tiles up build by one gamewrecking asshat over 20 minutes or so. The bridges across gaps and from castle to castle I think are good and fine, even though they're quite long.

Next build bridges cost 15 wood making skybridges and other spammed bridges 50% more expensive.
    We'll also hopefully be bringing down the cieling of maps by default, though knowing server owners that'll be the one change they revert <_<

Note: at the moment, this is the last thing I personally want to be working on. We've just spent the last month or so working on goddamn fixes. No fun. If we can hook it up to a server variable quickly to make you stop talking about it I'll look into doing that.

That said horizontal support thing is flawed unless it's set to 20 tiles or so because it limits your ability to build overhanging legitimate structures and somehow a workaround is always found. A better way to deal with skybridges would be to doctor the availablility of team-only vertical support (making drawbridges not fall out from under people, breaking notch jumping so doorladders are impossible, and seeing how it plays.) because then skybridges would have to be two-way -> drastically limiting their usefulness.
    That or just letting us work on some content so that there'd be more ways to take them down. If we hadn't had to run out fix after fix we'd have been able to get fire arrows, battering rams and powder kegs in-game. Bridge = wood = flamable = fire arrow fodder. Of course, the free-KAG players would still be yelling about them, but at least the majority of you would have a painless way of dealing with them.

Noburu likes this.
  12. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Oh, yee!
    As I said you previously, after this update just focus 100% on zombies and other cool stuff :P

13. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

We should just re-add horizontal support but make it a little more lenient, like 10 or 15 blocks.

Oh! Better yet, we could add vertical support, where things get easier to topple when you build higher up.

14. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

sounds really buggy

15. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

I like the part about the content that gives us more ways to take them down.

16. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Couldn't it just work like archer fire angle does now though? On max power on a high angle shot it drops like a stone (like you know what with you having made the game and all) and you can barely get off the edge of the screen alot of the time, and even with a flat angle you can't get that much further in my limitedish experience. Couldn't that arc of fire be applied to catapults aswell?

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

They do work like that now, I think, though MM might have removed the drag, I'm not completely sure as it's late.
    I kind of want catapults to be more like onagers and mangonels in Age of Empires II - short range anti infantry shindigs, with the ability to put a boulder on top to smash through walls if need be.

Noburu, AJ and Wonkyth like this.
  18. FinDude

FinDude KAG Guard Tester

It is particularly ironic that the change that was supposed to increase building creativity did nothing more than turn every single defensive structure into a 30x30 stone slab with a skybridgetower on top.
    I really cannot think of a single "legitimate overhang structure" that would not be possible with the old system and actually be meaningful.

Of course, for example, wooden walls could be lighter, in the sense that more can be placed horizontally.

Building 'bridges', say, over crevices should be a hard task.
    If you are just placing a block after a block with no supports, it's not a bridge. It's a plank.

Even if you make fire arrows, obviously people will just switch to stone bridges. Of course this may affect defense, but a single builder can build the bridge while the rest of the team meatpiles on the attacking team.

I can understand that you guys are more interested in making new cool content instead of flipping hardcoded flags back and forth, but I just want to emphasize how flawed the skybridges are as a gameplay mechanic.

Build vertically. Build horizontally. Period.

They also look really dumb. Like, just dumb. Dumb. Stupidest thing in the game.

There's also the related issue of defending being completely brainless and trivial compared to attacking,
    but that's the vertical team travel thing and lack of attacking gadgets. Though I cannot see how will a battering ram or a powder keg actually help with the team-only slabs and pits, though. Unless we're talking about kegs that can level a 30x30 slab.

Contrary, Noburu, AJ and 2 others like this.
  19. Thiel

Thiel KAG Guard Tester

I might have a suggestion, I didn't see it anywhere yet, but it might've been suggested multiples times already since it's quite obvious. (Note that the suggestion is not the weapon, but it's functional use in the skybridge-problem.

Since the catas shouldn't aim higher due to reasons well described by Geti, what if you have a mortar-like weapon? It shoots straight up, and the projectile falls straight down again. And if it's made so that it can't eat trough dirt so you can't use it underground, it could be a flawless anti-skybridge.

This would be perfect to prevent skybridges from actually getting near your base. You could just use it in the middle of the map. And if the mortar is made un-moveable and cheap(2 maybe 3 blocks of 10x10) to make, I can't see any other problems being caused by it.

ps: and Geti, this would mean you could both make something new and fix a bug at the same time!

Acavado and AJ like this.
  20. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

Skybridges are annoying on both sides cause if its built wrong it kills your team over and over as they run off the edge 50 times before learning.I like the idea of mortars though.