1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Build 1500

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 27, 2015.

1. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

This system is actually implemented on BC flat map right now. I don't especially like it tbh. I've fallen in team saws, not been able scale up walls using that system and other things come up. It does have some benefits. But I don't think adding that functionality really helps so much as it just changes where the problem is. In the words of patrick star, "Lets push it somewhere else."

[​IMG]

I think it's better to just have the current problem then change where the problems are.

2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I personally hate mechanism in tdm(irritating+easy to camp), but if the switch were added to trapblocks that might interest me(in ctf)

EDIT: mfw thiamor just repeated what i said didnt acknowledge what i said

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  3. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

@Geti wouldn't it have been a better thing to do, to just make the trap blocks work as a door for your team with a button push like some of the modded servers allowed? This way they work like they normally do but still have room to allow your team to use them as doors when holding down E. It's a win/win scenario.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 1, 2015, Original Post Date: Jun 1, 2015 ---
    Then this way there's a good chance the enemy can time it right if stuck in while a teammate is opening it up to get either in or out, but the enemy cannot open another team's block up.

EhRa likes this.
  4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It still does not exist in vanilla. Its a mod on flatmaps. I'm talking about making them act as doors for friendly team, but in vanilla KAG right now they are impassable.

Re: "now this team-traps" - it still does, if an enemy dies in it they jam the trap block. Take your own advice and add a door.
    [​IMG]
    Re: spoilered image
    [​IMG]
    The ones on the front are a bad way of protecting your base - they cant go over, but it provides protection for builders and to a lesser extent knights to camp and destroy the base of the tunnel.
    The one at the back doesn't work well in pub games (95% of the time you end up with a ladder getting built in front of it), you'd be better sinking the stone into a regular block to jump off and an extra block of height on your tower imo.

With trap blocks acting as doors, the front ones work fine (more or less exactly as trap bridges would have acted tbh), and the back one is indeed non-functioning.

- ? dont open them and you'll be fine? They will require you to press the movement button towards them to open them.
    - correct
    - ? yes you can? they still wont allow enemies to touch them.

Suggestion: I can put up a test server (MM's Test Grounds, EU only unfortunately) tonight to test this change and you can see for yourselves how it works?

It seems there's a lot of different "imaginings" of how they end up working. A lot of it sounds like theory crafting, how about we test it in person?

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

No. Button spam and more mechanics that aren't clear from just walking around dont sound like fun or pub-friendly to me.

johny98 likes this.
  6. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I guess it's true that enemies would open it, but then at least you've trapped somebody before fixing it. If you could just walk in there anytime a lot more people would get stuck in it - and adding a door there would make a "foothold" in your wall and make it easier to scale. I guess you could put it at the opposite corner, but that also makes it harder to fall into.

You can put a door in almost any trap, but with this change you would basically NEED to put doors in every trap, which kind of limits trap building.

They're obviously not the best, but people in pubs make a lot of slab walls without doors or with really tall doors and that's the quickest and best way to fix the situation.

My point is that change would mess up a lot of stuff, and all it would "fix" is the massive cancer traps. You can already usually just add an exit (or rather, entrance) to those, but this change would require adding an exit to every non-cancer trap as well. I just don't think it's worth it.

7. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I wouldn't classify it as not being fun based on your own individual opinion. Just from this topic alone it goes to show the current way isn't as fun as you'd like it to be for others. Though sure, yes, pressing buttons wouldn't be ideal because it'd be a bit slow and cause you to focus on pushing it more than protecting, or fighting, etc, coupled with the scripting behind making it work as such.

Though how hard would adding in another trap block be instead, that can be used as the way you're intending while still leaving the original trap block how it is?

Because as it stands now, you're not fixing a broken mechanic. You're fixing something the vast majority of people used. Sure there were a ton of shit traps and over all shitty, more or less minecraft-style buildings going around, but you get that out of almost every block.

The same can also be said about a lot of traps fucking people over. You're making it easier for newbies to make traps that work and for them and others to get out, but you're also seemingly messing with the good builders who used the old mechanic in a decent way regardless of how well it worked for the rest when they tried it.

I'm all for most of your fixes, bug and otherwise, but there wasn't anything wrong with trap blocks that didn't already have a work around.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    bru-jaz likes this.
  8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Why add a new trap block when trap bridges are still clearly wanted by the community? I still have NO idea why they were removed. Adding trap blocks in addition to team bridges made perfect sense, but not removing team bridges entirely.

EhRa and bru-jaz like this.
  9. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

You also shouldn't fix cancer traps by making it easier to make traps, by limiting what we're able to do with an already decent mechanic. You're making it so they don't have to learn from their mistake like the rest of us had to do with trap blocks, and so on. Right now with this new change, they don't have any negitive consequences. The game shouldn't be focusing on casuals that can just mindlessly place stuff and it still work. Not saying you're doing THAT, but it's still a step in that direction, albeit a small one. People should have to worry about where and what they place, and when. Sure it could fuck over the team, but they are meant to learn, we're meant to help..sometimes.

The fun in this game isn't how easy it is to get over something, with no worrying about how to use something, without worry of how it'll impact the round, your team, the enemy, and yourself. It's the clutter, the chaos, and the learning it takes to use something that also helps your team out that makes the game fun. I can't speak for everyone, but that's why I stuck around for as long as I have.

10. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Vae victis.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  11. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Would love that!

Just all what i've said in my long comment.
    People like us have fun with the unpredictable shit. Some people have fun just slaying enemies. That's why some people prefer this change to minimize the time to kill an enemy. but they dont really realise that the new mechanic will leave out the strategy that implies hide in an enemy trap (or place right the blocks in first place) just to kill a little quickly an enemy.

12. Geti

I don't find this very convincing though. The good builders will always adapt, the newbies are the ones that need help. They've needed help for a long time, and they will always need help because they cycle every day. The population of KAG is currently around 1.3k active per day http://grab.by/HJgO but the turnover on new accounts is crazy (about 60-80 new paid players per day) - where are all those players going?
    People have been asking for things to help keep new players repeatedly, but when I go to make a change focussed squarely on making the game easier to understand for new players, to help prevent them pissing off good players and getting shouted at and discouraged, it gets shouted down.
    I find it especially curious as it's a change that goes directly towards trap blocks working almost the same as the trap bridges everyone requests like they're hotcakes.

I saw it as a way to give you guys the trap bridge blocks you've been requesting without encroaching the platform's niche, without giving new builders yet another block to screw up, and without

Example of a completely viable forward wall with "door" traps - can get in through the front door trap, spikes make wall running a pain, easily expanded etc. I dont think it's some "dead end" "casual only" block.
    [​IMG]

The desperation in your voice is clear.
    Trap bridges were removed to reduce the viability of vertical entrances to bases - since their removal 100s of mechanic changes have made it so that vertical entrances are still the superior option.
    The implementation details of trap bridges were also something we found unsavoury, which I'll get into in a bit.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of things preventing vertica exits from ever being a less attractive option; needing to roughly triple fall damage, make vertical travel structures fragile, and interfere with vertical mobility of at least one of the combat classes being the major ones. As such, I'm not against having something fill the trap bridge niche, but I'd rather not have yet another wood structure to spam, not have something that can be easily turned against you by the enemy (as trap bridges could be, and as trap blocks can now), and ideally make it idiot friendly.

I believe that these blocks bring most of what you want from trap bridges (vertical movement, team bridging) without some of the less intuitive aspects (enemy converting them, opening 10-wide gaps at a time).

(I also believe that the "cheap horizontal movement" is a diversion ploy - trap bridges #1 use was vertical laddering, followed by acovado traps)

Re: "making the game for casuals" - I dunno if you've noticed but there are a lot of pubs that play this game, and a lot of them play it casually, regardless of whether you're MLG arrow-fencing them or bombjump base-raping them. Rayne and co have identified it as a really serious issue with the current balance, and honestly I'd like to pull a little bit of that into the game, especially before there are any more sales and player spikes - the more players we keep from those spikes the longer you guys can play the game.

Sorry for the bold but these tldrs are likely easier if I point out the important bits.

Either way, will get up a test server with it soon.

13. Geti

You can play on MM's Testing Grounds if you want to test out how the blocks work - there are some sprite sync issues but I don't have time to fix them today.

blackjoker77777 and kedram like this.
  14. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

The issue I'm seeing is that how does changing the trap blocks actually make a difference in making it easier for newbs that something else changed/added in couldn't already do in return? What should be done in my opinion is helping people with making proper traps, not changing the blocks.
    Sure we can adapt, but being forced to adapt over something not really broken is a bit of a rough way to go about it. I love to adapt to new mechanics, not have a new mechanic that takes away from something major that, as pointed out a few times already by myself, wasn't broken.

If you could just have a forced server that newbies have to play in, in order to progress to other servers, we'd not have an issue in them learning.

An example being a level system people mentioned, but just for newbies for those types of learning servers, coupled with it telling you what to do, and you do it, to obtain points. Earn enough levels, you leave and can join any other server and with no leveling systems thereafter. It would be a tutorial server, which we really need.

15. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

This^ :thumbs_up:

PUNK123 likes this.
  16. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

but that was my favorite part :(

17. LegendBeta

LegendBeta Shopkeep Stealer

This is a super freaking awesome, I'm all for these new trap blocks.
    LONG LIVE NEXT UPDATE!

18. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

That's a lot of griefing alts!

EhRa likes this.
  19. Geti

I'd say they're mostly new players, and mostly via steam as they tend to log in once and then not again - we should try to change that last part.

I'd like to flatly state that I disagree that trap blocks in their current state are "not broken", in case that wasn't clear. You're allowed to feel differently.

A) We already have a beginner filter and it stinks.
    B) A level system is a lot of work on the backend, hard to manage if/how other servers can contribute to the rankings, protect from hacking, etc. Even if it's just for tutorial server unlocking it needs to be safe and secure.
    C) everyone will instantly want things tied to any level system thats developed - I'm moving on to Trench Run, I'm not developing a whole new set of unlockable items for KAG.
    D) We have something else in mind for a "tutorial" - this is about instant quality of life online for everyone, not about "teaching".

RE: TRAP CHANGES PLEASE READ
    I'm happy to take a vote to leave doing/deciding on anything about trap blocks until next update if people are in favour.
    It's one less thing for me to fret over and I can just leave the changes on-ice.

All in favour say aye or something along those lines - those opposed say nay or something along those lines, quoting this. Will go by simple majority.

20. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

AYYYEEEEEEEEEE