1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Bombs and kegs thrown from catapults are lit upon launch

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by PeggleFrank, May 17, 2015.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

Just a little thing I think could be useful. Right now, you have to light a bomb or a keg, load it, and then get in the catapult as soon as you possibly can to launch it before it explodes in your face.

Integrating this as an actual feature wouldn't do too much, but might make defending a base a bit easier. Knights giving you trouble? Throw a keg outside your base. With a catapult. Without even having to get near the edge of the wall and without exposing yourself.

I don't see this making base sieges any easier, because getting a catapult to throw your keg is far more expensive and dangerous than just bringing a keg to the enemy walls. In the rare case where you're able to get a height advantage over the enemy (and your knights are too lazy to bomb jump), you could try and throw a keg at/over the enemy walls with a catapult.

Tis' a small detail that could go a long way to making the game just that much more dynamic.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  2. LegendBeta

LegendBeta Shopkeep Stealer

I love this idea, except that kegs will rain from the heavens with a longer range and smite all the Knights who dare to pass the mid-way point.

Jokes aside, I think mines should explode on impact like kegs with the ground instead of breaking...

Yeti5000, J-man2003, PUNK123 and 4 others like this.
  3. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

This is a good idea because as of right now, if you want to launch a keg you have to light it first, making it a huge hazard to your team. And sometimes you can't get into the seat quick enough to launch it and it just ruins your base.

+1

Yeti5000 and blackjoker77777 like this.
  4. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

You can still light it at the last second and load it into a catapult that someone is already charging. It just takes a little coordination.

5. Sky_Captain_Bjorn

Sky_Captain_Bjorn Bison Rider

yeah and from my experience if you light the keg and place it in the cata it'll take priority over everything, even if someone else is in the seat waiting to be launched. So that makes coordination a little easier.

Otherwise I just tell someone to keep shooting at full power and light the keg and place it in.

6. noname42

noname42 Shipwright

I'd prefer to be able to lit the keg/bomb while it is loaded so you can still wait until the fuse burnt off a little before launching it.

Yeti5000, FoxyLady, heX_ and 2 others like this.
  7. yeah... and the second you light that keg the gunner is like "OMG KEG!!! RUN!!!1"

Yeti5000, icemusher and PeggleFrank like this.
  8. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

honestly, I feel kegs shouldn't explode on impact ANYWHERE; although, that's just my opinion. There should be a bit more skill involved in tossing a keg off a building or just keg jumping; such as, trying to time lighting the keg right when it's going to hit the ground

kodysch likes this.
  9. Sky_Captain_Bjorn

I usually just warn everybody as to what I'm about to do so they don't freak out. If everyone is competent it usually works fine.

Maybe its just me, but I really wouldn't enjoy having to time everything out. What if it just became easier to catch kegs in the air as they were dropped (no idea how any of this would actually happen). That way mindlessly throwing kegs off towers would become extremely dangerous and some strategy would have to be employed to actually succeed.

10. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

I think in that case maybe something could be implemented that stops players from catching them mid-air. Maybe if the keg is moving at a certain velocity it can't be picked up. TBH catching kegs is pretty buggy anyway, and it requires decent ping

SirDangalang likes this.
  11. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Would that equal never?

12. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

Why not a feature where if a keg is in the launch-bucket you could light it if your in the catapult.

Yeti5000, kodysch, FoxyLady and 2 others like this.
  13. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

This is perfectly fine as it is, and it would make the game COMPLETELY unbalanced, being able to just CATAPULT kegs at people, while still keeping all the knights at base and defending.
    You can still do this, in a way, of course, but coordination and timing, skill and competence are needed to get it to work. Skill is an integral part of this game, and making it insta-light while putting it into the cata just makes it overpowered since it requires a negative amount of skill, and we are already working towards getting rid of those things (See: boulders)

14. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

To be honest, you typically have more control over where things land if the knight himself launches with the item. Yes, this would make it easier to do things alone, and destroy the enemy alone, but wait, this is a team-based game right?

15. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

Beat me to it.
    Best is still launching knight with keg in hand, best control over explosion etc. Coordination doesnt work well since there is no charge meter visible except for the gunner. Just give the ability to light items that are already loaded, problem solved.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  16. Sky_Captain_Bjorn

Maybe just one competent person on the cata then lol?

17. LegendBeta

LegendBeta Shopkeep Stealer

*smashes head on keyboard*

I have best idea, you will not be disappoint.

I say you should be able to launch people with custom KAG heads from catapults that explode into a rain of gibs that instantly kill anyone that comes in contact with the gibs and the gibs shoot out mines that instantly explode with contact with the ground and blows up with an explosion radius of 69 blocks, then sharks rain from the sky spitting laser firing bisons that stomp everyone who lived through the mines and then they drill through the ground and create massive holes in the map (and bedrock and all), geti will then rise from one of these holes and begin to dirty dance on stevedogs lap.

BOOM! this is game changing stuff everyone #supportgibsrainmine69sharklaserbisondrillgetidancesonstevedogmod ??

Koveltskiis and jarrydthysse like this.
  18. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

You can already go much further if you bomb-jump with a keg. Using a catapult is more of a last resort, considering how much extra distance you could get by bomb jumping.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make here. Do you mean that, if kegs were lit upon launch from a catapult, knights would stay at the base more? There's a pitiful correlation at best; knights will be where the most enemies are (usually), so if there's a siege on the base, they're going to be at the base; especially if they can't actually get past the enemy lines, and are forced to fight.

Again, you might as well just light a keg and toss it off the wall. Putting it in a catapult and lighting it is less accurate and will almost certainly throw the keg way beyond the enemy lines. It doesn't make that much of a difference.

We can do this, but it's a pain. Understand this:

• Teamwork is good.
    • Coordination is good, but only when it's not required.
    Why, you ask? Because anyone can work with their team. You don't have to be good at the game to help your team; if you just rush at the enemy and start jab spamming, you are helping your team, even if not by very much. If you need to be coordinated, that means you have to know what you're doing, and another member of your team has to know what they're doing. Additionally, your priorities at the current moment must line up, and you must be able to communicate effectively. Those two conditions alone are rarely met.

This change removes some of the teamwork involved in a complex, unrewarding maneuver (launching a keg from a catapult), but also removes a lot of unnecessary coordination. If you're already good enough to do something like this, it might seem like it's dumbing the game down, but it's intended to make it easier for everyone and thus more fun and accessible to everyone.

Remember, doing a bomb jump with a keg for 145 gold is much more effective than launching a keg from a catapult for 200 gold, and also requires absolutely no teamwork. It does require coordination, however, but launching a keg from a catapult doesn't require that same coordination because it's meant to be an easier way to launch kegs and because it's almost strictly worse than doing a bomb jump. There is absolutely no point in launching a lit keg from a catapult when you can just do a bomb jump for less gold and for more reward.

I don't... what?

You're just exaggerating how bad of a change this is because you don't like it. Launching a keg from a catapult for 120-200 gold to put a dent in the enemy wall is not the same as taking 35 stone and killing someone instantly with it.

The main flaw in your argument is that you assume that this will dumb the game down, make it require less skill, and make it easier to attack the enemy fortifications. However, you can already do much more damage for a lower price by bomb jumping. It requires a bit more skill, and has a lot more return, while also requiring less setup.

If you put a bomb down while holding a keg and then get blasted off the bomb horizontally, you can throw the keg at the enemy wall with much more precision than you could a catapult. Launching kegs from catapults is an alternative to that which happens to be easier, but less efficient.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 3, 2015, Original Post Date: Jun 3, 2015 ---
    Sure, but it has its downsides. You might as well bomb-jump if you have the spare gold, unless there's no safe place to jump from or if a catapult could get you farther.

Double bomb-jumping with a keg is a thousand times more effective than using a catapult, though. You go faster and get more control over the angle at which you're launched, and you're also not stunned for the first half of the flight, unlike catapults, which stun you when they launch you.

icemusher, kodysch and Blue_Tiger like this.
  19. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

1. Dropping a keg off a wall is easy to see and easy to catch.

2. That would dumb the game down. KAG needs a higher skill level for over powered things.

3. Bomb jumping or double bomb jumping with a keg is worse. 1 bomb is that powerful, 2 is the same. A catapult gives a consitent and stable controllable rate/speed of fire. Especially if your tower is high.

20. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

1. True, but perhaps that isn't good. Dropping a keg off your own wall is already a risk to the wall and will, at best, take some enemy knights off the field for a good 10 seconds; giving your enemy the chance to take the keg and blow up your wall makes it even worse. Makmoud summed up my thoughts entirely:

2 & 3. A catapult might be more precise, but you can get much more vertical height by bomb jumping, and, in some cases, horizontal height too.

A tramp cannon would be the most powerful solution, though, if you're looking for raw distance and speed. A catapult only launches you so far, and two bomb jumps can move you a decent distance in all directions. Considering a tramp cannon requires lots of setup, bomb jumping requires some skill, and launching a keg from a catapult barely requires any skill at all, I think that's fine.

If you could find some data proving that using a catapult is better in the majority of situations compared to bomb jumping, that would be enough for me to change my mind.

Mods: Rainbows