1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Build 1500

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, May 27, 2015.

1. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

nay
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 2, 2015, Original Post Date: Jun 2, 2015 ---
    Also @Geti could you expand on what you have in mind for the tutorial you mentioned. My opinion is that an improved tutorial is the best way to make KAG more noob friendly, so I definitely want to hear what you're thinking about doing.

bru-jaz and Dargona1018 like this.
  2. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Aye, It's for the betterment of keeping noobs engaged in the community. Keep your butthurt for when all those noobs turn into regulars and start kicking your butt.
    --
    An improved tutorial, would include.. having an actual tutorial.

3. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Aye, this is a nice change IMO. Newbies placing trap blocks badly will be less of a cancer, will get yelled at less as a result, and will probably enjoy the game for longer as a result.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  4. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

5. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Aye.

6. kittycity

kittycity Haxor

[​IMG]
    (agreed)

7. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Aye. Trap blocks good change. Please disregard old bitter elitists like Thiamor.

norill likes this.
  8. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Aye.

9. blackjoker77777

blackjoker77777 Haxor Tester
    1. Zen Laboratories

Aye.

10. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

You can't tell me I didn't raise at the least, a few valid points.

11. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

If the choice is trap block change and no trap bridges, aye. If it's trap blocks and readding trap bridges, nay, leave the blocks the way they were.

But generally ayyyyye lmao.

12. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

Not sure if this is the right thread to blab about what -could- be but ill give it a go anyways.
    My suggestion is regarding the mechanisms and some of their functionality.

There needs to be a way of delaying a signal with a single block, by a configurable amount, however much the user sets. My idea was to give the diode this function, with the ability to press e to increase the delay.

There needs to be a solid block that conducts that of a junction wire. This will made designs much more flush, and easier to imagine.

Signal needs to move through wire faster. Signal simply moves wayyy to slow to do anything productive with. Delay should only be introduced with the diode or certain components like an inverter.

Pressure plates stick very often, not sure if this is intended, but i think there should be two or more types to specify what kind of object is pressing down on it. (human, item, mob)

Most of the mechanisms like the transmitter, receiver, and possibly the toggle need to have 4 way junction-like capabilities, to save space on designs.

norill likes this.
  13. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I'm hoping they introduce gears, cogs, pistons, other moving parts, etc so we can do more with them other than lights/traps.

Haste likes this.
  14. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

@Geti
    Please, add an actual tutorial, not that poor image that appears whith F1.
    In-game building and battle strategy suggestions as you post earlier would be really helpful for begginers

15. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

I wouldn't mind the trap block changes. Regardless of complaints players will still adapt, as has been mentioned already. As for tutorial, please make it forced on first time playing... No more people coming into servers like "how 2 change class?", "how 2 build?"

16. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: tutorial in general - the plan is for significantly more single player content, so people can learn skills offline that transfer to online. It's a big job though, not "oh yeah of course, we forgot an awesome tutorial let me just whip that up real quick". The singleplayer stuff is largely what Skinney is working towards. He's got big plans for it, but we're starting small; the mechanisms stuff will allow simple things to be "scripted" at a map design level rather than requiring code, and will also make community "campaigns" much simpler to develop.

Re: forced tutorial - whenever someone's talked about this all I imagine is how many people quit the game immediately at that point. There's enough standing in the way of getting in-game already; log in differences per platform, gross menus, beginner server filter, server browser in general (quick join helps but if you click the wrong button...) - I'd rather not put even more in the way of it, but rather make sure the single player is something you want to play because it's fun and helpful, not because its forced on you telling you you're a newbie and you dont know what you're doing.

blackjoker77777 likes this.
  17. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

Tutorial is planned to be a part of singleplayer, a gradual introduction to mechanics for every class, ramping up in difficulty until an epic boss battle. You can expect a short tutorial (which will cover the absolute basics, and can be skipped) along with the intro to the plot for singleplayer, leading into three unique campaigns (one for each class).

You've got the right thread, and I really appreciate the feedback.

I agree on most of the points you make here, this will be something I will be adding in the future.

Agreed, there will be 'solid' variants of wires and junctions that make use of the new dummy tiles.

Flood filling wire and junctions 'might' be something that will happen in the future.

Pressure plates are a bit fiddly at the moment, I will be looking into better solutions going forward.

Emitters and Receivers will be staying with their current input and output. You have to understand that in some designs it would be more beneficial to have it act like junction, while in others that is not the case. The current implementation gives you the most conscious control over power while keeping the sprite readable.

18. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

At the very least the ability to move blocks with pistons. :p Would be very neat.
    I pumped up the refresh rate of mechnisms on my server from .25 to .75 and it all works almost in real time, its very enjoyable to play with and learn here. Anyone looking to fool around with mechanisms in a chill environment with a long flat map and lots of area to lay out your designs, come to my server "USWEST MECHANISMS TASTE OF PASTE" and share what you know!

19. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

So if you're working on single player stuff, does this mean you're also working on AI that isn't terrible? :P

20. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

Nobody uses anything with the AI, and if they do, it's in a mod.
    Would truly be a waste of resources.