1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Keep newcomers on Kag

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snake19, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Leo

Leo Haxor

You are on the list since yesterday.

2. suspect

suspect Catapult Fodder

make sure to talk to people too y'all. Shooting the shit with nubs helps just as much as pointers in getting them to stay

Dargona1018 likes this.
  3. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

You sure? I joined yesterday but got kicked after 15sec or so. (Yep, just checked and I'm getting kicked with the message "you've reached 500 kills etc."); name is heX_

Btw both noob servers are constantly full now :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  4. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

I don't know if anyone had this idea, but if had - sorry.
    What do you think about "Achievements" for KAG?...
    I think they'll make game little bit funnier for new players, something like: Kill 50 players or capture 2 flags...
    I think it'll make them play and have fun... So, with time they'll get how amazing KAG is.
    Also idea about "Steam cards" and "Badges", but i'm not sure... If only "Badge hunters" will join KAG, cause this...
    What do you think about this idea?...

5. darlanlogin

darlanlogin Gaijin in the world of kag Donator

@Epic-Guard i think geti already commented about achievements or cards. if i'm not wrong he said that they wont will be adding this things because they dont want that kind of player in game.

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  6. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

Usually when someone asks how to do X I try to explain how things work in chat regardless if they're on my team or not.

If it's in regards to some higher tier tactics like archer stomps or double bomb jumping I direct to the forums. Along with watching other players in game I learnt most of the advanced stuff from guides on here. We should push new players to do the same if they want to improve :)

7. darlanlogin

I think it too @SirDangalang, guides here, really help and all new players who wants to become better should be directed here to read through those guides. Also, guides on steam helps too, to people who do not want to come here.

8. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

Yeah, I seems to remember this also.

I agree about the guides, especially for building which is way too complicated to explain in chat.

9. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

The guides here are actually sub-par. I'm not saying the guides we have are bad, it's just that we don't have any "master" guides that can teach the player about everything.

These types of "master" guides can either be short or detailed. Short guides tend to keep the player's attention span, while detailed guides are extremely helpful for players transitioning into becoming good players. IMO we need one of each, but just one of either type would probably be fine to start off with. Sponsoring these types of guides in-game would be great for helping players ease into the game, but I'm not sure if geti would want to do that.

I used to write a lot of guides for a particular fighting game. I could write some guides for this game, but I'm not the best player, so who knows. On the other hand, a lot of people here are biased and think the world is ending because one class is more powerful than another, and if they wrote a guide that became top-rated I'm terrified of the consequences. I might try and write a guide, publish it to the forums for suggestions and improvements, and then post it to the Steam guides section.

Leo could just disable the ranking system during the sale, so people don't feel a need to destroy each and every new player they come across.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    SirDangalang likes this.
  10. darlanlogin

@PeggleFrank I support your idea. And even if you arent the best player, if you feel the need you can ask other people to review the guide before posting. It would be a great help if you could do it.

PeggleFrank likes this.
  11. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

Sounds like a plan peggle, let me know if I can help.

PeggleFrank likes this.
  12. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I've seen newcomers throwing unlit bombs a whole lot due to that new bug where they don't go in your inventory on purchase. Little bugs confuse people trying to learn the game and probably lead a lot of people to leave frustrated.

suspect and Dargona1018 like this.
  13. Kabouter123

Kabouter123 Catapult Fodder
    1. Ancient Gear - [AG#]

tldr; nigga please.

Ah yes, allow me to redeem myself. I love this game as much as you guys and I can understand that some people are pissed off because me and some other guys who've been playing the game for too long get a sweet score on a bunch of new players.

Posting this screenshot makes me look like the bad guy here, but you forget to mention that I was giving tips to the new guys as well. Besides that, I was livestreaming and I had quite a few people watching my game. During this I convinced a few of them to buy the game and add me on steam so I can give them help and tips. I wasn't aware of this thread up until now. I convinced 10+ people to buy the game. So please, don't say I don't give a damn because I really do. I love this game and I want it to be more popular.

Oh, and I did switch to archer only to get called a fag after proclaiming my distaste for this toxic class.

I do not believe me or any other proper knight player playing worse than normal is going to help player retention. Any player that has been playing the game for more than a month is going to rek new players. That's just the way it is. On this particular server there are 32 players. Do you really think anyone cares that he dies once every few minutes because he happens to stumble upon one of the 4 players that are good at playing knight? On the most popular server of the game? Where am I supposed to play then? On the new "pro" server? On my own server? The same thing will happen as on black death. New players will die a lot. That is part of the learning process. Hell, if I wouldn't have been rekd a thousand times by Sinitreo with insane bomb jumps and other crazy tricks I would have quit the game long ago. It showed me that the game goes so much deeper than it appears at first glance. It was ispirational. That being said, it is really hard to play "bad" on purpose and as I've said before playing any other class is no fun for me.

@Mazey don't blame this on @Snake19 . As stated before I was unaware of your plans. I do think you need to get of your high horse thinking that anyone would listen to you in game. You should be happy I switched class, so don't give these other guys shit. Oh and next time, make a better screenshot. The 130:13 shows much better what an asshole i really am. I wasn't even trying.

Snake19, Fuzzle and Tern like this.
  14. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Thank you to has explained you Kabouter. It is true that the history of "Sinitreo" this is indeed it pushed me to progress and stay on the game to give me a goal to "become better than him." I trained myself tirelessly to be able to fight him! Personally, if kag had no competition, this competition which for me gives spice to this game! This would have been a long time as I would have left.

15. Draco1991

Draco1991 Haxor

I'm giving away four kag keys so comment on the giveaway to go into the running to win your friend a kag key! More new players the better haha

CowboyDan likes this.
  16. SAcptm

SAcptm Haxor Staff Alumni

You can all start calling me Smokey the Bear because I'm making fire safety lessons my #1 relaxation activity.

Remember folks, only you can prevent terrible woodspam.

Dargona1018, heX_ and Kazaco97 like this.
  17. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

I'll probably get some guides up asap. It's my bday this weekend and I'm investing $1500 in a custom built computer. It's intended for recording high quality games and I am going to start with kag. I'd like to pump out a knight and builder tutorial but someone will have to help me with the archer tutorial (tater most likely).

18. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

i think its a good idea to show new players what is possible, but not all the time. most of the time its good to go archer and let them learn, i would say in a good week or 2 we can start playing like normal again because everyone will have a good grasp on the game, already noticing some people taking to knight really well.

Mazey, heX_ and Snake19 like this.
  19. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

77 / 9 is pretty much standard.
    Maybe I shouldn't play @ all?

PUNK123 likes this.
  20. whisper_dan

whisper_dan Ballista Bolt Thrower

when I join a new game I expect to get owned because I know little to nothing about the game...it's normal.

Knights approaching you in a predictable manner, spamming jab. They need to learn that they will die doing this rather than to be repeating behavior they learned when someone was going easy on them.

Pressure is a priveledge.

219830_screenshots_2015-06-18_00002.jpg