1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog BUILD 1537 - Quality of Life

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jul 6, 2015.

1. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Yeah, unfortunately this update has the opposite effect on traps. I think a nice fix would be if you could activate trap blocks with E. If you pressed E it would activate any it was touching so you didn't have to constantly spam E. Whatever the solution is, this definitely needs to be fixed

ShnitzelKiller likes this.
  2. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

Thank you for that!
    Also I found this glitch on local sandbox server while playing with my bro. I don't know if this occurs on every server. Look at the emoticon bubbles.
    Animation 0.gif Animation 1.gif

3. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

That's common, it happens when you change team with "!team 1" or so on. Once you respawn as blue it will be normal.

On what @rymcd said, I think more or less the same, eventhough I haven't tested the features much, and haven't fell into team traps. When I read that the feature would be added, I was skeptical as it would make some traps impossible (leave along sneaking into enemy traps safely), and in my opninion it's been added for usability sake, now genious noobs don't need to learn how to do a proper trap imo. However, I tend to think lately, and I'm not sure if this is the way it will be in the future and if we're getting used to it, that the new trap functionality is good and it recquires a bit more of navigation skills. Something similar to old classic trapblocks. Still can't tell.

I do like the idea of tapping Down twice too.

4. Clev

Clev Resident Stoner Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Forreal. I agree completley with Jig. It is game breaking.

RadioActive likes this.
  5. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

That wasn't a bad thing. If you are stupid and don't alternate downward facing bridges, then it's that team's own fault. There should always be negative consequences to bad trap placements and over all bad traps. As it stands now it seems like they want to make all traps have no negative impacts on the team for stupidity. Aside from the negative impact it has now on the team itself for saw traps.

This is the exact reason I wanted it to act like a button door instead of a hold and walk through type of trap.

ShnitzelKiller likes this.
  6. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Goto autoconfig.cfg (while KAG is off, else it most likely be overwritten) and set "sv_password" to blank (i.e. "" without "s obviously). Launch KAG again and retry

7. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

I like more functionality out of the trap blocks but it is so easy to just tap down and get stuck in a trap. I like the double tap idea or maybe an amount of time that you have to hold down to fall through.

8. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

Its impossible to shoot ballista bolts with a dispenser.... I'm disapointed with this update.

9. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I kind of wish dispensers could connect into shops and automatically produce shit to shoot out but you have to add in coins for it to produce stuff to shoot out. Hope someone mods something like that in.

10. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I don't even think this qualifies as more functionality because you can't use them as team mobility blocks anymore (for scaling doorless walls etc) which was one of their best uses. I think they have waaay less functionality now.

If you had to hold a direction towards the trap blocks I think that would work, or pressing e to activate/deactivate a block of trap blocks that would be better. I dunno about the double tap

11. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

You totally can still make them as team mobility blocks, they are the same as they where before. Just don't press down when you're climbing them.

12. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

+ 1 for the "double tap" to pass through traps ! :)

13. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

Sekrit option to remove backwall has been discovered.
    [​IMG]
    About trapblocks - I agree, the best way would be to press E and hover on an icon instead of how it is now. I hope this will be changed or removed.

Stevedog, dayleaf, Redshadow6 and 4 others like this.
  14. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Thanks for the update, Geti/Skinney.

I've been in favor of the trap block change since the idea was raised, so I was happy to see that it was pushed. But I do think the double tap/holding [W/A/S/D] to pass through would be a further improvement. I've seen a few too many teamkills (even on non-newbies) today.

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Bolters might be expanded to work this way (as well as light bombs, kegs, etc) in the future ;)

@RadioActive: that backwall destruction definitely needs to be looked at, haha.
    @Punk213: thanks for the reports and for mostly keeping it civil.

Anything else that's buggy about unplaced blocks?

Re: tapping for trap blocks - I can change it to require tapping to go downwards perhaps? Double-tapping requires storing/syncing extra state just for that, and is a less clear mechanic imo. E to open them results in all sorts of button spam if it's used the normal way, and adds extra (-> less clear) functionality to the E key otherwise.

Re: trap blocks in general - cute that all this feedback comes a good month after they were put on the test server ;) I feel like a lot of the complaints on the trap blocks (other than the totally legit "easy to teamkill people" claim) are coming from bandwagonning and speculation - or are at least misinformed. People have made all sorts of strange (wrong) complaints, like that they cant be used for small traps, cant be used for mobility, cant be used when shield surfing, etc. Please actually play with the blocks before reporting something or I have to go and test all of these inconsistent claims, which is a waste of my time.

There might be a small server browser fix build in the short term; but we've really got to focus on getting something for TR supporters in the coming weeks, so I'll be taking notes on exactly what needs doing for KAG through there - particularly I'll be seeing if the building meta is in need of anything too drastic. Thanks for all the feedback across the board, keep it coming!

16. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

You have 1 week

Jk, loved the update <3

17. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

:rollseyes::wink:
    Nothing else really. I realized blocks in the hands could be affected, in the past, when i had blocks in position(specifically doors) and a somewhat far off keg would harm them(wasnt important enough to post in the past as it basically affected nothing)
    If there were a way to raise the amount of "pressure" needed to open them, that might be interesting? I remember being in favor of using E, but thinking of it now it wouldn't help with campers. I see the complete solution as the E button and making the bottom of trapblocks "solid" for enemy teams. I feel like if E ever gets implemented it should only open the block and the 2 adjacent to that block aswell(Not bandwagoning, i played this build for afew hours already)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  18. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Well you can also mine unplaced stone doors, platforms, trap blocks, and wood doors in your teammates' hands to get free mats

19. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

i get this error since the update
    Im running on Win 8.1 . this message comes through steam and also non steam version too

Attached Files:

20. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

While it'd be tedious could there be a way to connect something to it so it then works that way instead? So then if this something isn't built onto it, it works the normal way? Like "Add backwall behind it" and it changes up how it works.

PUNK123 likes this.