1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Something is ending but does something begin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fernegulus, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

So instead of doing releases people have been asking for (since triggers for traps, etc was always a requested feature, thus mechanisms are a good fit) they should put everything else that is smaller on hold for something that could possibly take months or a year (or years) to fix and eventually due to the time between updates, piss off the rest of the player base?

If you know something is going to take a long time to fix, why put every last resource they have in fixing it, when they can still work on the game WHILE slowly but surely work on the API issue?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 5, 2015, Original Post Date: Jul 5, 2015 ---
    Also I don't actually understand what this API bug actually does to servers. Is it so bad that it will keep the servers from being played, and if not, why punish the players @Leo that actually enjoy the game? Throwing a hissy-fit over a bug is one thing if it actually fucks with the dedicated players who continue to support your work, not because it annoys you but not your players.

So someone please do explain to me in a dumbed down ENGLISH format, what this bug does to servers and what can, or did it do to the players playing on the servers.

2. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

@Thiamor: it forces the server to shut down. That's the bug in a nutshell. A communication error with the API.

3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

If the developers are so crippling stupid that it take them years to recode the API then i fear for this entire game. Seriously thought stop being a dramaqueen, we all know it is alot of work now that asumagic has showed us, and i never said they should have to, i said that it is a logical stance to think they should. Anyway after your double post you have shown you have no idea what you are talking about and just want to blame server hosters for having a hissy fit, even though they wanted it fixed for years(apparently), because the api kills their servers(apparently alot when theyre full). Before you comment on a thread read the fucking posts thiamor!!!

4. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Thanks. Though a game my friend created had something in place for shit like this but I forgot what it was called, but it instantly would reboot his server when it detected it was offline. Though not sure if possible for this type of game.

I think many would agree that you're one to talk. Also I did read, but not once (unless I over looked it) did someone say what exactly was happening on here because I guess it was assumed most knew about the bug who were actively commenting in here.

5. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

@Thiamor keepalivescripts are a thing, or at least they used to be. They are pretty easy to set up.

6. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I'd think it may be a good idea for server owners to start implementing it into their servers to try to limit the harm this bug is causing then. At the very least, players won't have to worry about refreshing for 5, 10, 15 minutes in hopes someone reboots the server they were just in.

7. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Leo DID use that, the problem is it crashes like 30 minutes after it reboots. And the best games are when they're like 2+ hours (shut up "stalemate" haters)

8. heX_

heX_ Bison Rider

Thiamor,
    It's not all that easy to get a server running in the first place due to the low playercount. So when your server crashes 25minutes in, when the game finally got going, that's extremely annoying. Then, when after 15min or so people have rejoined the server (if you're lucky) you see that dreaded message again "API call failed, nuking the list as a stop-gap", and your server goes down again... And just when it refilled a third time it goes down AGAIN and again, repeat ad infinitum, that's not only frustrating beyond belief, it's detrimental to the entire game. This is pure speculation, but I'd venture a guess that well over half of the people from summer sale never came back because of the constant bugs and crashing that made the game close to unplayable especially during that time where traffic was heavily increased. I wanted to quit too, and Leo has been going at this much longer and with much more involvement/time dedicated than i have. You just can't blame him for ragequitting.
    And I think most if not all servers have keepalive scripts, it's not a solution nor does it really limit the harm the bug does.

RadioActive and PUNK123 like this.
  9. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

anyway, if you have good luck, your server may not crash for even 12 days (how the fuck i managed to do that?). And you also need a good VPS ofc, because you shouldnt expect that your server will not crash with a game server hosting website.

sometimes it happens very fucking often, sometimes it doesn't happen THAT much. i guess Leo had bad luck :(.

10. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Since most of the crashes happens on next mapping (for some reason I don't bother to understand because that wouldn't change anything), I've made a script for KTMC a few weeks ago and apparently it is working well :
    It is embedded with the current version of KTMC :
    https://forum.kag2d.com/resources/ktmc.327/

If gshost.us could use this script on all his servers (@jrgp), a lot of KAG servers could forget that crash. I probably can use Labz's VPS to provide a massive API crash fixer network, but since KTMC requires RCON access people wanting this would require to give me the server IP, port and RCON password. I'll see that with the group.

11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Out of interest what's the supposed fix inside KTMC? maybe we can integrate it engine-side as a patch for the issue.

Asu and Tern like this.
  12. Asu

It is sending /sv_register 0 when it detects a map change and puts it back 20 seconds later. I don't really understand how does it fix it but it does, since Leo didn't get any crash for some weeks using it.

Geti likes this.
  13. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I can't tell if it's due to KTMC or what, but I've experienced some bad lags and ping spikes for the last days. PC is full of crap and I'm making a clean w7 install atm, it might also be that, but 1 week ago it was ok.

14. Asu

No, it can't cause such problems if you don't use some plugins heavily sending stuff to the players. On BD it is just reading what the server sends to it and if it sees "*Restarting map*" it is sending "/sv_register 0", adds the server to a re-register queue and so sends "/sv_register 1" 20 seconds later. It is a very simple fix and it seems to work well on Leo's servers - but it does NOTHING on the client.

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Thanks, will check out why that would be helping.

16. I dont see why we can't just kind've get some dedicated people on the forums and ingame to do some freelance work if they so please, to get the game back in motion, I'm sure with so many of us on here based off are age we gotta know something about programming or coding or maybe even art for that matter although we do have an artist still on the team, right?

17. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We'll have an engine solution for this next patch. Thanks a lot for narrowing the problem down to next mapping. I think this might help a lot.