1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Moo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pofurg, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Pofurg

Pofurg Horde Gibber

Moo

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Sytoplasma likes this.
  2. suspect

suspect Catapult Fodder

so you want megastructures built in the beginning, enabling stalemates early on? I don't see this being a problem at all :^)

3. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

They already do give you the materials, it's called resupply. I almost never mine or chop wood in the pregame (mostly out of laziness and not wanting to spend my time on mining). Get that free 300 wood and 100 stone every 40 seconds. If you use it all up, that's when you mine or chop.

4. suspect

suspect Catapult Fodder

There is nothing wrong with the current system of resources, it's quite balanced actually. I don't see why this is a problem besides "I want to build stalemate hueg buildings at the beginning of the game"

edit: also you build builder shops at front lines so you don't have to walk back to tent to resupply

J-man2003, Asu and Darknighte9 like this.
  5. Darknighte9

Darknighte9 Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. KAG Competitive League

There are many ways to use your resources efficiently (hint: making 3-4 layers of only stone is not one of them). Seeing as how most people don't have the patience to endure a stalemate and would rather decide a game by voting, there is little reason to have mega structures. In fact, a team working together (yes it actually can happen in pubs), mining for resources and collecting resupplies as many times as possible generally results in a decent tower and base.

And if it's too much of a pain to walk back to the tent or to a builder shop, suicide. You spawn in right away and can get resupplies that way (unless you care a lot about your score).

J-man2003 and PanduhsFTW like this.
  6. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

You can also go to a builder shop to resupply.

I used to think exactly like you do about this issue actually, but once I started paying really close attention to resupply I was never again bothered by feeling like I "had" to mine. It's not like you'll never have to mine at all but you'll only ever really be mining for very short moments, so it's less of a chore and more of a quick way to fit in just a titch more mats in between resupplies if you really want to make good use of your time.

Besides, it would take a lot of effort to try to rebalance build time for... not making people feel like they have to mine? You seem to be proposing just giving people mats at the beginning. Some more specific suggestions could really help this thread. If you just give them a lot of mats right from the get go, then they'll use them up real quick and then have a shitton of time again where they must mine. If you make the time shorter then there would just be an even more frantic initial burst of building followed by more mining. You could argue that players could also just take their time with building... but you can already do that, and the resupply system promotes that way better than upfront mats.

The resupply system is honestly pretty perfectly paced in my opinion for a buildtime that isn't completely stressful but also isn't a snore fest (if you use resupplies.) Resupply is one of the most obscure and important in game mechanics, I think it needs to be promoted with resupply buttons on all the shops that you can press to dispense your resupply without having to use all the mats up or toss them around to trick the workshop into thinking you're out of mats. Also if there are buttons, your average joe would figure out how to use the resupply system well way faster than it probably takes them currently, and realize that it's actually a really nice source of mats.

J-man2003 and SirDangalang like this.
  7. H3llO

H3llO Shopkeep Stealer

pre-game = building time
    A simple solution would be no/short building time (optionally maps with pre-built defense structures)

The building phase is a bit messy and there are a couple of reasons why it is like this.
    First of building is getting more and more boring with latest patches (trap block mechanic, shield wall stacking, +2 bomb jump stacking, platform debuff) and the game getting more and more solved in a way that shows simple constructions being more efficient than complicated traps/structures. On standard maps, you are building the same stuff over and over again.
    Balance is another problem as building time can be a huge factor for winning or not loosing the game. There are those doing nothing wasting valuable resources and time and those which doesn't stop building after building time and you end up getting overrun by enemy knights.
    Lastly the aforementioned bad, inappropriate building time

An easy solution, which I suggested a while ago would be a map specific default-building-time

Note:
    There is a good reason for supply spawning at the tent, as it goes to the cost of time building towers far away from spawn instead of stacking endlessly stoneblocks and spamming stonedoors.

8. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

Hey dude? Are you the guy that worked with Iko?
    Well lol cause I was just about to mention short (20-50 seconds) building time and 'Iko's server'.
    lol