1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[203] bunker!

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by NigerV2, Nov 26, 2011.

1. NigerV2

NigerV2 Shopkeep Stealer

screen-11-11-26-09-38-37.png
    Pros
    + the effect of surprise
    +Its very easy to snipe from bunker
    +cheap
    +Archers can hide
    Cons
    -Very easy to destroy
    Some comments:
    Well the main feature is that archers in bunker is on the same level as enemy.So its much easer to snipe enemy

PumpkingSlice likes this.
  2. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

Here is something I whipped up as an improvement idea for your design:
    [​IMG]

its your same basic design with spikes on it so that enemies cant jump on it and destroy your doors easily. basically the two trap bridges left and right make it so that teammates can easily walk over the spikes and get into the bunker, while enemies can't. The teamdoors on the top are one higher because leaving them on the same level as spikes would make it very hard to stand on top (inside the doors pretty much) without hitting the spikes (you would need to only gently tap W to do that and you can't expect people to be able to do that). basically if you have no interest in going inside just jump on the trap bridges and run over it in a straight line or jump over the whole structure (at least knights can easily do that with gliding).

I think its a good idea basically (with or without spikes) especially since you can still dig down while in it, for that reason is probably better to leave the bottom two stones free so that archers can dig the dirt away if they want to.

3. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

I don't trust myself or my teammates to not go tapdancing on the spikes. I think this bunker thinger is a great idea but is the double teamdoor exit strictly necessary?

AJ and Noburu like this.
  4. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

Not tapdancing -.- Just walking over it and its also possible for teammates to jump over it completely. without anything to hold the enemies back they will break that door down very fast...

5. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Well I will go tapdancing, and without shoes. Man, I'll do the worm on those spikes. Because I'm stupid like that sometimes.

I just got a fun idea for a drawing, hoho.

I think if you made a mini bridge ie extended those team doors it should be pretty fine, yeah. I'm playing around with it right now.

6. NigerV2

NigerV2 Shopkeep Stealer

Thanks!:rollseyes:

7. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Interesting concept, but unfortunately archers don't use archer holes/nests nearly as much as they should.

This is the basic bunker I use (similar to your design):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are great because they allow a builder and teammates to hide and surprise the enemy, plus they're inconspicuous. They're also fun.

But I'll be trying to hybridise it with your idea of the sniper spot, by building it into a ledge like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. emt321

emt321 Shipwright

After using the "hidey-hole" method and jumping out and causing havoc when the enemy's front lines passed over, I devised something of my own.

kag bunker outside.jpg

Whats this? A fail trap? A knight could probably just jump over it- they didn'teven put spikes everywhere in the bottom. Psh, off to the front lines for me!
    And then, trapception:

KAG bunker inside.jpg

I hid with another builder on Incarnum using this trick, once the enemy got a massive skybridge up and started rolling over us. The methodology behind it is simple enough- nobodies going to go prowling around the bottom of a spike trap, and if they do, its simple enough they can get out with ease. As another benefit, the concealing entrance is not appearing out of place, due to the rest of the stonework. The above bunker was made using ~400 wood, and 100 stone. This can be tailored to suit your needs- make a smaller pit, make it deeper, or make the hiding portion smaller.
    This is honestly more of a fall back then a strategy, but is discrete enough that you can get behind a layer or two of enemy defenses, collapse their skybridge, steal an outpost- cause general mayhem!
    If an enemy player mouses over you, they will see your name in bright letters- but then again, how often do you mouse below a bad spike trap?

9. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

I started building your bunker, however, I thought of something that could disguise it but not hinder it's usefullness... Jump tower.png
    Any knight or archer may believe this to be an ordinary tower with team access via team doors... however a builder will notice this...
    Secret Jump Tower.png
    It has a secret inner chamber accesable from the top, only openable by a builder, with two archer holes to fire out of this is both an enemy hindrance and an enemy killer, though costly to constructit can turn the tide in many a battle,
    The teambridges descend into a spike pit, so if an enemy gets inside they fall to their doom...

10. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

This is kind of cool; it lets the builder be sneaky. Walk along, dig a hole, huddle in there like it's your first day of minecraft, wait for the enemies to pass, come out and take a whack at their doors/loot some materials, go back into hiding...

Though, well, not that this should be done often. People need those builders to do building sometimes.

I built a thingy in sandbox mode where everything was underground, invisible, and boobytrapped. Everything above ground was covered in spikes and stone blocks covered in spikes. I wonder how it would have played out in a server.

FuzzyBlueBaron and BlueLuigi like this.
  11. Darksteel

One thing about my Dark Tower, your allies get pissed at you for staying inside of it.

in game I used it, my allies got slaughtered and with no back up units me and a builder got sealed inside, I took down 20 units before they got inside and 5 more once they were in... the builder was afk for most of that... just be warned, the only time you can really make this is the warm-up time.

12. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

I disagree with things only being built during the warmup time. Now that lives are the focus of the game, it's totally ok to focus on defense instead of pushing, it's fine to now do what was once considered 'unhelpful' or 'useless'.

Defending can get you just as much, if not more kills than attacking. All it takes is a good tower, an archer or two, and a few knights to effectively defend.

Lord_bugg and GhostyS like this.
  13. Darksteel

thats because its hard to get the resources any other time

14. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

depends on the map

15. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

The time it would take you to get all the wood because of how long it takes to chop trees and for them to respawn, makes it just bad for anything but warmup, and depending on the server -looks at Action servers with 60 wood- sometimes not even then.

16. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

these can be fun, but they're more for dicking around than actually winning the match

17. Demented_SCV

Demented_SCV Shopkeep Stealer

Greetz, all. First post. I've been making what I call a Troll Bunker by modifying the above. All I do is add Acavado Spikes to the front as demonstrated below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now you can troll foolish Knights with your bow into stabbing themselves!

(Met the image limit. Fill in the rest with your powers of imagination!)

18. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

Well,if the knight somehow gets over acavado trap(bombjump),then you cant get out and everything you can do is just to wait for the moment when he breaks door and rips your head off.

Can be solved by making 2 bunkers : second one covers top of the first
    Now thats a true troll bunker :D

19. Demented_SCV

Demented_SCV Shopkeep Stealer

You're absolutely right about that. The bunker works best at the base of hills; your team is likely to be occupying those hills with either a fort or simply their bodies. This provides some cover-fire for you.

Additionally, I tried something out earlier, but didn't post it. It's a rather expensive resource investment:
    1. Add a pit to the bunker, filled with Team Bridges. Don't put spikes at the bottom because you can't get Fog of War with those.
    2. Add a second room directly adjacent to the firing room. Put a door on this room.
    When a Knight starts to break through, step into the 'Safe Room.'
    Knight breaks through door. Falls to bottom of pit.
    Archer steps out of the safe room and either ignores him or lobs arrows into him until he dies.

Bunker[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]unke[​IMG]
    [​IMG]unke[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

(Ran out of images! Fill in the 'Bunker Text' with the image from the post above).

Edit: Does anyone know why my Screenshot wont capture in-game pics? It just pastes as Black. Then I wouldn't have to paste individual blocks.

BlueLuigi and ComboBreaker like this.
  20. Rioja

Rioja Ballista Bolt Thrower

I saw someone build one of these today and was extremely skeptical about it - especially as i was an archer at the time. The thing is, most archers like being up high when attacking, presumably its easier to cut out factors like range and gravity etc.
    As soon as i started using it however it was a completely different story, i could attack all angles rather than just side to side or down/up like most archer structures limit you too. Brilliant idea and design, will be placing these around the map during warmup!

PS: I dont know it the thread has moved on, i only read the main post and wanted to back this up from the archers perspective.

BlueLuigi likes this.