1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Archer movement boost to match knight slash boost

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by whisper_dan, Aug 5, 2015.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. whisper_dan

whisper_dan Ballista Bolt Thrower

Knights can surf with their shields and archers can grapple run but at the moment, only knights receive a movement speed bonus from their charged attack (slash and double slash).

I think archers should also recieve a backwards movement speed boost when firing charged arrows so that a knight spamming slash will not automatically catch up to the retreating archer if he or she chooses to continue firing arrows.

zerd likes this.
  2. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

Actually, before (x) update, archers were faster while charging arrows, it got changed so knights could "kill archers with less effort"

3. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

I think archers are fine where they are, they have a grapple hook which allows them to go much faster than the knight, if we made it so the archer could backwards run faster while charging arrows it would make the archer too overpowered, any time a knight would try to kill him he wouldnt be able to catch up and then get shot.

4. ShamWow-SuperRag

ShamWow-SuperRag zamn Donator Tester

Archers are already approaching a "melee" class, if that makes any sense. Archers don't need any buffs; imo they should be nerfed.

Corpsey likes this.
  5. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Archers are already annoying to deal with, they don't need more buffs. What you should be doing is nerfing knights, but the are already having their bomb radius reduced which should be enough hopefully.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

So uh, just checking, you want to give the fastest, most mobile class more speed?

Vampire and PUNK123 like this.
  7. whisper_dan

Archers might be faster on a flat surface but KAG isn't exactly Gran Turismo.

Archers are not as mobile as knights because of the simple fact that they can't prevent damage as well.

They cannot surf through a battlefield bombjumping off of peoples heads flying across the entire map and landing 10 kills in the process.

I dont find arguments based around knights needing to be able to catch archers and kill them 4 at a time very persuasive. I feel like there is a prevailing bias that knights should be stronger and net more destruction than archers just because they are knights.

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It's not that, but archers are literally ranged damage and support - the fact that you can play it CQC and that that's exciting is great, but it's not the focus of the class.
    You can stun with a full shot (which takes a second to charge) and grapple away easily, many knights already complain about "soap" archers. You have special arrows at your disposal to make this easier if they're using bombs to chase you down (and you get more water arrows for cheaper, and can hard-counter bombs if you can aim for peanuts). You have grapple for fast direction changes. I appreciate that knights have higher raw damage potential and carry knights can rack up kills, but you can say the same for top tier archers, and archers have an easier (and cheaper) time sapping buildings and siege.

Before you claim class bias, anyone who's played with me knows i prefer to swap class to whichever is most beneficial at the time. I know just as well as anyone that they have their own strengths and weaknesses. Archers are weak to knights within slashing range. That won't ever change.

We wont be increasing the archer's speed any more while they are charging arrows.

Vampire, Stevedog, Fernegulus and 2 others like this.
  9. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

I'm wondering.. is this an observation from TDM matches?

10. zerd

zerd Arsonist
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Could just be me interpreting this differently, but seems to me like most responses have misunderstood the suggestion.

The suggestion here, as I read it, is not to increase the movement (walking) speed of archers, as the archer is charging an arrow.

Instead the idea is to add a quick boost to the archer when it fires an arrow, in the opposite direction of where the arrow is being fired at.

If that is indeed the case, here is some other arguments for why I think this could improve the gameplay:

I have actually tried this out in my mod quite a while back, and it is very simple to implement (I would be happy to redo it or share the mod if anyone wants to try it out).

I made the mod to make knight fun for me again, but after implementing this simple change to archers, I actually spent most of my time as archer, just messing around with "arrow jumps" as I would call it.
    The "arrow jumps" were very well recieved by people who played on my server.

It adds a lot of depth to archer movement for very little complexity.

Technically it makes kiting knights slightly faster as archer, but by grappling in between shots (as you always should), a knight already has no chance of catching up.

Frontline archers will use their arrows to boost themselves around, so generally, enemy knights should have less incoming arrows to worry about.

Camping archers will also have to be more aware of their movement, since in some situations, they will slowly get pushed off a tower.

-soften landings by shooting down
    -higher jump when trying to get past enemies, by shooting down and away, instead of at them
    -jump off tower, shoot down, land back on tower, no grapple needed
    -use arrow boost to dodge incoming projectile while being in mid air
    -arrow jump over higher obstacles when trying to maintain speed from grappling, by "skipping" (like a rock)
    -shoot an enemy archer next to you? instead how about: arrow jump and grapple stomp

I'll leave it at that for now.

11. whisper_dan

This is exactly what I was suggesting zerd.

It seems very simple to me and will only make archers more fun to play. It's already in the game but for knights only.

A knight surfing with his shield would easily catch up to an Archer retreating and firing if this was implenented.

I did not realize it before but yes, most people reading are against Archer base movement speed increasing which i dont suggest.

Thanks for your post.

To clarify: When a knight slashes, he is propelled forward at a faster speed during the slash. The suggestion was to add the same thing for archers in the opposite direction.

zerd likes this.
  12. Geti

Well, that's more interesting, but I think gives a lot of kiting potential. You say "a knight surfing with his shield would easily catch up" but A) the knight surfing with their shield is vulnerable to, you know, getting hit with arrows - you can swap between shielding and surfing but you lose most of the speed benefit B) the thrust required to give that little of a speed boost would not be able to be used to jump back onto tiles, change direction meaningfully in the air, etc.

I'm happy to see a test implementation (stick up a modded server) but I'm pessimistic about the class interactions, particularly with skilled archers (they already kite for days, bombs are going to be less useful, all in all it'd be a dark day for knight-main players).

If this was to be implemented I'd have to cut rate of fire quite a lot (harming the archer's dps even more) or make it only apply to triple shots or something. I'm not really in favour of throwing off the status quo even more though.

swagbot likes this.
  13. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

personally i find the idea of using triple shots as some sort of method of propelling yourself through the air extremely interesting
    you could do some neato dodge moves midair and it'd make grappling way more interesting with that added boost
    it'd be really fun, though i do guess balance is more important than the novelty of it

swagbot likes this.
  14. Snake19

Snake19 RIP Staff Alumni Donator
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

If I understand well, you want to add a propulsion to the back, when the archer shoots?

15. swagbot

swagbot Shopkeep Stealer

This. The point of the change is to keep the archers in their place; as a support class moreso than an attack class

Thisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

16. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

I'd also like you to buff their damage so that they can kill knights with one shot.

17. This idea is cool for the novelty but crap for combat in my eyes. As much as I am in favor of Knights. This just seems like a bad idea for combat. Basically the adaptation will be flee, shoot arrows, flee. Which is extremely boring. I'd rather have the archer moving around a lot than just repetitively running and stopping and then shooting. This keeps it interesting for both classes.

No nerfs are required at this point, Nothing increasing archer movement is valid at this point.

18. PalladiumGirl

PalladiumGirl Catapult Fodder

Dude, really.
    I played TDM and archers are frustrating annoying, they can outrun knight while shooting towards him. You can't reach or jab him, if u start slashing, he immediately puts an arrow between yer eyes. Dont buff archers, for Christ's sake. I may be the worst knight in the universe, but I've seen other people struggle against them too. They're supposed to be snipers or hit'n'run with a shotgun guys, not what you're suggesting.

PUNK123 likes this.
  19. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

If you think about it, archers should really just be split into two classes. (this has probably been suggested before, prepare for nonsense)
    One supportive class, with high mobility but low health, and one semi-offensive class, with better mobility than knights, but lower damage output and smaller range than the supportive archer.
    You get one archer that's not much of a threat when not backed up by a knight, and one archer that's more of a threat, but easier to kill because of his inferior range.
    The archers we have now are exactly in the middle of these two classes; normal damage, high mobility, normal health, long range. That's what makes them overpowered.
    Nerf either mobility or range and boost damage or health, that seems to be the only solution that makes everyone (except for archers, I guess) happy.

J-man2003 likes this.
  20. watermelon200

watermelon200 Catapult Fodder

well the idea behind slash speed boosts is to get away from the enemy you slashed, before he jabs you

i think

Mods: Rainbows