1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[Rant] Game Balance And The Community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trumbles, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

This post was spurred by the recent update, which reverted trap blocks to their old state, I believe after a majority of people stated that they wanted them back. (Edit: This is not the only reason for the post, I am aware that the new trap blocks were buggy and frustrating)

In my honest opinion, the community should not always be considered when making mechanic/game balance tweaks, and their opinions should be more of a second thought in development, rather than something immediately paid attention to.

99% of balance related suggestions, or mechanic based suggestions/opinions in these forums are made by someone who would benefit directly from the change, by making the game easier for them, making playstyles that they dislike less effective, by keeping a bug in the game that they abuse, etc etc.

Not many people suggest things that are good for the game as a whole, and honestly, the game is worse off for it. For a long time, infinite wall climbing was left in as a sort of "unofficial feature", because the community begged for it to stay. They didn't do this because it made the game more enjoyable for everyone, but because it made the game more enjoyable for them.

Sorry guys, just a little rant after taking a long hiatus from the game. I do really believe that the developers should look to the community for ideas and potential balance tweaks, but the selfish suggestions really need to be filtered out/ignored.

TL;DR: Balance is a bad topic for the community to have an influence on, no suggestion is 100% pure.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

This community is resistant to change(because alot of us like parts of the game and dont want them changed). It is what it is. Irregardless the trapblocks needed reverting because they had rage-inducing bugs and it has been stated the developers dont have the time to bother fixing it. It was a rapid change to a block that gave us an even buggier thing and i feel it is more their fault for refusing to fix something, and instead just reverted it. You are mad at the wrong people. Honestly, it is obvious from the threads, regarding the trapblocks, that most builders were vehemently against the buggy blocks while knights loved them. I dont see why changing building to help a fighting class is the top priority.

3. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

In my opinion, the better option would have been to remove the blocks entirely, until a more effective solution was made.

This post was made as a broader rant, rather than just about trap blocks, sorry if the first sentence or two made that unclear. Since I started playing in the ~800 builds, I've seen community suggestions and complaints heavily influence the game, some for the better, but a lot, in my opinion, either did nothing for the game overall, got put in over something more important, or made the game somewhat worse.

Hell, some of those changes were things that I myself was asking for.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    PUNK123 likes this.
  4. ITT: opinions are subjective

5. ShamWow-SuperRag

ShamWow-SuperRag zamn Donator Tester

As you say, the devs removed a lot of things that made the game's already steep learning curve steeper, and I'm still sad about that. I haven't been around for very long (1.5 years, maybe?), but the days when you could hide in a crate were the best.

J-man2003 likes this.
  6. Darknighte9

Darknighte9 Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. KAG Competitive League

I can still recall a few people here and there that complained when a stop building button (a very minor addition) was added a build or two ago so it is no surprise that people would complain about trap blocks getting reverted too. There is no way to make everyone happy and past builds and this build in particular is proof of that.

7. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

There is definitely no way to make everybody happy, especially in a community where there are so many ways to play the same game. The problem that I see, is that popular opinion can sway the implementation of common-sense tweaks or fixes.

The largest example that I can think of, is definitely the infinite wallclimbing bug. All of the "pro" knights wanted it to be left in the game, as it gave them even more direct advantages over new players.

J-man2003 likes this.
  8. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I mean don't get me wrong, in many cases you'd be right, but there's really a lot to consider, ignoring the community can be just as bad, and honestly saw a very large waste of time in development before beta on things that no one wanted, never felt truly ingrained into the game, and were done instead of fixing issues that were part of the game the majority played (CTF).

There is, quite frankly just too much shit that has happened with changes in the game to have this kind of thread without people showing exact points of exactly opposing views. I'm not opposed (in the slightest) to threads like these, but I wouldn't be surprised if some Nazi Mod™ closes it down because a few people argue with each other about the history of the game. :potato:

I'm probably not going to check this thread again, but just happened by it and saw it was a Trumbles thread so figured, fuck it.

Neat, J-man2003 and Noburu like this.
  9. H3llO

H3llO Shopkeep Stealer

Community's influence to strong, plz nerf...

I partly agree because I saw a community destroying a game before.

The problem is that sometimes changes come to the benefit of bug fixing and balancing but also at the cost of fun and strategy/skill.
    (satchel, crates, legolas shot, climb glitching, trap block, corpses, drill class restriction, boulder nerf, shopkeeper arrow shield, bombjump stacking, jab buff, fall damage) -> Sure a lot of this stuff were factors of imbalance, but none the holy grail of victory. The trap block simply were broken (it even destroyed one of my TDM maps). Making the game more newcomer friendly is one thing, making a KAG for Dummies another.

J-man2003 likes this.
  10. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

yo dawg, i heard you like complaints, so i put a complaint on your complaint about people making complaints...

11. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I have found that games have been destroyed by developers that listen to everything suggested, why this is? The gamer doesn't know what they want, they think something like adding 12 more classes or making knights OP would make the game better, but it won't. Sure there are some good suggestions from time to time from a gamer that actually thought about why their suggestion would help the game in some way instead of having the mindset of ,"It would be cool," or ,"It makes it easier for me," but that isn't a large percentage of gamers. The verdict is that Developers are given a job because they know how to design games among other things, and they know what makes a game fun, they don't need the audience of their game to control the development and ultimately kill the game.

This isn't to say that some community suggestions shouldn't be considered by the developers, but the devs should remark the following before even thinking about adding it: "Would it help the game in some way?" and/or, "Is it necessary?". The developers of KAG are not new to this idea, but in the past they have removed perfectly good things, looking at clips of classic it seemed that alpha had a lot of raw content, which is never a bad thing for a game to have, and it didn't seem unbalanced, either, in fact in gave the game more charm. And that sadly may be why the player base is lower simply because the replay-ability is directly affected by the lack of content. I know most people will say that content =/= quality, but in a good amount of cases this isn't the case, content adds more variety to game-play and thus adds replay-ability. Items like buckets, drills, and boulders used to do this, but they were nerfed thus rendering them useless to replay-ability and ultimately the fun of the game. I imagine this is what happened in classic, except some of them got flat out removed.

Psiklaw likes this.
  12. swiggityswooty

swiggityswooty Shopkeep Stealer

haha as a super biased knight let me say i miss infinite wall jumping so much

J-man2003 and Psiklaw like this.
  13. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Haha, yup, locking this bitch down now! :hammer::rekt::bird: (srsly though, the only reason to lock a thread like this is if it's clear that No Good™ will come of it and we've already had half a dozen separate incidents of flaming, etc. So I would hope that things didn't get that far in this thread...)
    ---

Honestly, I'm not sure what to think. The community has been pretty bone-headed about a lot of things, over the years; but the community has also come up with some truly unique and wonderful ideas (and/or demands, which the devs then try their best to meet).

I think what might be good is if the community were to get over themselves and self-buffer a good deal more than they do. As things stand they can get pretty volatile such that a single change (like trap blocks) can spark massive, disproportionate, outrage; even if the change is something that's been telegraphed for a looong time, and has been consulted on repeatedly (again, like trap blocks). But, then again, I can't think of an easy way to get a semi-anonymous mob of border-line ADHD cases (almost all of whom suffer from mild tourette's syndrome) to calm their farmvilles long enough to adapt to changes and/or give constructive feedback on how/why they still can't get used to the new way of doing things (maybe with some non-inane suggestions for further tweaks to fix things, rather than just bitching :huh?:).

Short of people learning to contain their jimmies (ha!) it would appear that we're probably stuck with the wave of ott upset (e.g.!!!:eek::left::oops::up::rektlord::no::right::thumbs_down::bird:???::(::huh?::>:(::anger::skull::bird::bird::bird:) that pops up, with saddening regularly, on these forums whenever something shifts (and has done so since before I joined back in 2011).

Yagger, EhRa and J-man2003 like this.
  14. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

I never really understood the problem behind the new trap blocks. You need to be pressing a direction to move through them, like doors. Despite the bugginess, it helped prevent traps from being used against your own team by allowing you to move through the trap blocks.

Flat CTF implemented this in an even buggier fashion and it was great.

icemusher and J-man2003 like this.
  15. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Bring back Legolas!

16. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yeah that's really the problem with most of the game though or has been for a long time... once games like this are moddable they only benefit and grow if there is a strong base of people willing to make changes and test things out, could write a book on the reasons why this hasn't happened in KAG but the only thing that matters is that it hasn't. If it did though we'd probably see a lot better changes, unfortunately there's a lot of small things that stop most people from caring enough to give it a try anyway.

FuzzyBlueBaron and J-man2003 like this.
  17. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

How some the community reacts to EVERY new build:
    "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE"
    [​IMG]
    On a serious note, people with either adore the changes that are made, or they grab the pitchforks and start rioting. It's happened numerous times in the past (trap block reverting, jabspam etc.), and it will probably happen again in the future. No matter what is changed, there will always be at least one person that is against it

18. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

No matter what the devs do, or what the community wants the devs to do, there will always be a group of majority (no matter how large or small they are), against the implementad idea. Don't take your anger out on the devs.

J-man2003 likes this.
  19. You forget that these are humans on the forums.

20. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

I also miss it very much and to be honest i think it should be added back in, just because archers have been way too powerful lately and its quite easy to prevent knights from climbing your tower making it not hugely overpowered, its just useful but not game breaking.

EDIT : and please just add hiding in crates back, I know there were weird people that stayed in crates the entire match but make it so there is some sort of timer of how long you can be in a crate until it breaks, this way archers can still transport knights over walls and you could still goof around with them a bit and disallowing people to stay in a crate the entire match.

Magmus, swiggityswooty, EhRa and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.