1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Weekly News - TR Art, Another Expo, and KAG UI

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Oct 6, 2015.

1. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

Personally, I really like the clouds, and the pine trees + oak trees dont bother me. Just the existance of pine trees in the desert.

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The backgrounds will change with each biome, something I'm working on today actually; we just have the one at the moment though and I wasn't gonna hold screenshots just for the sake of ecological realism ;)

3. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

This is vidya jame aboot war. Features need to be realistic because reality. I like the foreground art, stylistically it's very different from before and while it may need a paradigm shift in how you market or present the product to your consumer I feel that it was for the better. If the Trench Run logo is still the same though... Then that would be a bit weird. Is the possibility of renaming the game still up for discussion with the THD crew? Or is it set in stone.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We're pretty set on the name. The logo needs a bit of love, but will likely be the same style (big font, slightly eroded). What strikes you as odd about it based on the shift of the graphics?

5. Fellere825

I think it was because I listened to the TR theme song while looking at the old art and it matched up really well. The colorful theme with that wandering soldier style. I always thought of a bunch of rough and tough veterans sitting around a fire like the Nuclear Throne fire scene but with TR doods. Now since all of the screens so far have a blue sky instead of black background it feels more of a swampy bayou banjo time then that old Romani type feel you said you guys were going for before.

Most of this is happening in my head though, so... :P

6. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Clouds? Why not have random events with meteors and UFO's?
    It would be an improvement to the player's experience and the visual quality!
    https://forum.thd.vg/threads/improved-bacdkground.24269/ :rollseyes:

7. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

The one problem that is consistent in KAG and TR is their names. When I look up "Trench Run" on youtube and google all I see is Star Wars shit. Before KAG became somewhat popular (at release) there was very little information on it. KAG isn't even about King Arthur its about knights and very little about gold. The last thing that you'd want is for Trench Run to be covered up by star wars shit. I don't think Trench Run is bad but it is at risk of being covered up by star wars and it doesn't tell you a whole lot about the game.

Chrispin likes this.
  8. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

When it gets released on Steam and it isn't a big flop it will probably be the first result.

If they actually plan on changing the name because of what you said Swine, I recommend "Trenches, Guns, and War, Oh my", Kouji suggested this a long time ago and it's pretty funny, which relates to the game (if adding "funny" stuff is still planned, like poker and bets).

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  9. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

When I search trench run (tried on multiple computers). The first 3 links are for the game, and there's even a youtube video on the first results page. That seems pretty good to me. :)

10. Geti

@Verrazano sounds like you might be getting tailored results though. I've seen a lot of the star wars stuff, but it doesn't look like it's popular and should be easy enough to push out. We'll see if it becomes a legal issue but we're pretty set on it for now.

@Fellere825 I'll be working some dark backgrounds in where I can though, we're actually talking about bumping the colour count since we've already broken limits to allow softer skies and potentially replace green team with purple to stifle readability issues. I'm not sold on "even more gfx work" though to tell the truth.

We want a short name thats a bit punchier than Kouji's old suggestion; nice as it might be as a tag-line haha.

11. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I thought so that's why I went and tried it on some other computers, different browsers, logged out etc.

12. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Use DuckDuckGo for 100% non-personal search engine thing
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=trench+run

It's number 9 and it's not even out yet

13. Verrazano

Yea, when I tested it I only used google, however I made sure it didn't have any cached data on me, hence different computer (school one which automatically deletes any caches). And a few different browsers (still with google). Each of those gave me thd, on the front page multiple times. I've tried it with a few other search engines now, they all have TR on the first or second page, Yahoo, BING, ddg as you showed. I think TR has a pretty got search result for where it's at right now, (not having non-dev youtube videos, etc). KAG used to be pretty shaky especially searching by acronym. That has never seemed to work and I don't really expect it to work for tr or anything else ever. I don't think a name change, especially anything with common words or phrases will have better search results. Unfortunately "Trench", "Run", "King", "Gold" all suffer from few syllable small/common word issue. But it's snappy and I don't think it'll hinder it to much.

Mazey likes this.
  14. Fellere825

It's not really gfx work but more of how you are selling the game. What's the barebones explanation that holds everything together, if you stick with the one y'all had before it'll feel weird with the new art. Just things in my head.

15. H3llO

H3llO Shopkeep Stealer

Looks really nice, though Fellere is right; It would make sense to show dunes and a cloudless sky in the desert biome. But I suspect that's something you couldn't have figured out yourself.

use GUUID for maximum distinction. How do you like
    928fcb9a-f8f0-4070-80c1-100896afd0b6 ?, or maybe
    f969e82e-866d-4efe-b15f-b2604ee8b125 fits the scenario better!?

p.s. cool people plant trees https://www.ecosia.org/search?q=trench+run&region=&lang=&f=false (10th result)

Geti and norill like this.
  16. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Looks fabulous, Max. Really digging the new art style--particularly now that we can see it across more biomes. ^_^

Unsure whether it's just the .gif messing with my perception (as it flicks from biome to biome) but the jungle one felt a tad light/faded? Ofc, idk if you're shooting for a "hot & humid" feel there--maybe aiming for an Apocalypse Now thing, haha--but the hues kinds felt like they were drier than your description of "green and full of wet vegetation" led me to imagine. Grr. Is difficult to describe in an articulate fashion. Damn my lack of artistic training/jargon. :huh?:

Also, congrats guys on getting teh award. Not that these things make/break anything; but it's nice to see that others outside this little bubble can see the game's kick-arse nature. :B):

Geti likes this.
  17. Fellere825

Can next game be a whole virtual reality experience? Where you enter a lobby and automatically a pie gets sent through Amazon to arrive through your front door? This pie has a 14% chance of containing chocolate or peanut butter. If your pie has a little picture of a naked Gatu then you win a prize. A skype date with Gatu and a guaranteed happy ending. Of course you'd have to use the pie for the physical gratification but then if you have a peanut allergy you'll get these cool bumps in fun places. Apparently some people like that. Especially in Germany. I hear the people are really into that weird stuff in Germany. So you take your bumpy fun zone, and you take your now used pie, and then you have a nice date with Gatu. At the end of the month we poll Gatu to see which date was the most entertaining. After which we see if Mr. MM also agrees with Gatu's decision. After all things are hashed out and if Mr. MM also agreed that the skype date was kosher with a happy ending we move onto step three. You see At this point everyone should have realized this is basically a glorified dating app for Gatu and Mr. MM to find a third individual for their polyamorous relationship. Yet the won't take chances on those other dating apps because of the possibility of it ruining their developing careers as secret pron stars. So after going on a few dates they'll find true love and happiness again. THD, Three Homosexual Dudes, will finally become a reality.

Redshadow6, Vampire, Hella and 8 others like this.
  18. Geti

I've actually got to re-do the palettes following adding some colours, which still haven't been settled on. Gives a lot of extra detail in the backgrounds and so on but it's still pretty frustrating :D I'll take the criticism re: humid vs lush into account when re-forming them. Generally have to keep the contrast pretty high to keep everything readable though.

Re: dating app - nooo, please tell me MM didn't leak the alpha it's not ready!

19. Fellere825

If I start a kickstarter and people actually want to pay for it will you give people pies?

20. 5 pies! I'll be rich!

Apple pies?

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.