1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Super Smash Bros. General

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Hawxx, Jul 31, 2014.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Leffen and Mango shared the same fate, both 5th place, both got destroyed by F L O R I D A B O Y S.

Leffen sent to losers by Hbox, then eliminated by Plup, Mango sent to losers by Plup, eliminated by Hbox. Fucking Plup though, those Samus combos. Also I was on the edge of my seat when Chudat nearly took a set off Mango TWICE, wobbles are scary man.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

RIP King K. Rool and Lloyd Irving. Well, you never know maybe the costumes don't necessarily deconfirm them, after all it's Sakurai we're talking about here.

Auburn likes this.
  3. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

FUCK HANDS THE KING IS BACK

Edit: I'm actually gonna watch that set, 6-0 over Leffen? The hype must have been crazy. I also heard that Sm4sh GF was really good even having a bracket reset against ZeRo, definitely gonna watch Paragon since a lot of good Sm4sh players are gonna be there.

4. Mango wins Paragon 2015, M2K comes 2nd after almost getting a reset (3:2, super fucking close last game on Pokemon Stadium) in the grand finals.
    Also M2K stole a set from HBox with a 0 to death combo, cool shit.

top3 was absolutely amazing, M2K is back

5. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

[​IMG]
    Not even close to my best rest but first time I've played netplay with a replay buffer
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 16, 2015, Original Post Date: Sep 12, 2015 ---
    Another gif I made but this time some falco movement. Probably the most beautiful thing I've ever done in Melee
    [​IMG]

6. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Also one of the biggest mechanic changes happened, shield stun has been increased which means moves are safer on shield and shields aren't as strong. A reason why DKs and Marth/Lucinas shield damaging moves (shieldbreaker, headbutt and dk punch) have been nerfed in shield damage, same with getup attacks.

7. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Jesus christ guys, this is a fucking massive change, the shields I mean. Smash 4 now has HIGHER shield stun than Melee, there are shieldbreak combos being discovered left and right. (Link, Robin, Lucario, Fox, RosaLuma)

RIP THE CURRENT META

8. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

I'm tempted to buy the Wii U super mario maker bundle next week. I'm really interested in getting into Smash with my friend who's really good. I'm afraid of buying a Wii U because of the Nintendo NX rumored to release next year. Thoughts?

9. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

That's a wonderful point thanks for reminding me

10. CowboyDan

You could always play melee via emulator. I could walk you through it and show you melee basics.

11. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Faaaaaake, I only trust gameplay footage because of that Rayman leak, also on the first picture the font looks wrong.

--- Double Post Merged, Oct 17, 2015, Original Post Date: Oct 13, 2015 ---
    Come join and watch MLG Finals 2015! It's much a much more stacked tournament for Smash 4 (ZeRo, ANTi, ESAM, Mr. R, Ally) but Melee still has players like M2K and Hbox.

I believe today is pools and top 32 for both games (streamed at the same time) and tomorrow is top 12 for both games (Melee first then Smash 4).

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/channel/smash for Melee

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/channel/smash2 for Smash 4

Maybe this tournament ZeRo will get dethroned... at TBH5 ANTi went 2-3 with him and holy fucking shit that set was hype as FUCK. ZeRo even said himself that ANTi belongs in the top 4 best Smash 4 players. Shit is gonna be hype man.

EDIT: IT WAS A JOKE, NO ANTi AT MLG :(

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  12. Mariox222

Mariox222 Arsonist
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

I used to play brawl and i allways beat my friends with meta knight. I recently found out he is baned on all tournoments ^^

Hawxx likes this.
  13. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

He was banned for a short time actually while he was alive, I can't remember how long for he was banned but people stopped playing the game and Ice Climbers was then the best character; which hurt the game due to their campiness making the game even more boring for spectators. So after that MK was allowed again but double MK was still banned in doubles.

14. CowboyDan

Insane match from last night. More hype than all of MLG combined

15. > You need to work up some serious Leffen Nerves to come back from that.
    I was laughing way too hard already at how Westballz pulled off some of those combos, this sent me to the ground.

16. To break the constant stream of tournament level Smash gameplay, and because I am missing out on 80% of the jargon the commentators are shouting about, does anyone have any sources they used to get better at Smash (I have SSBB currently, thinking about picking up Melee or maybe even Wii U + Smash 4)?

I have looked around slightly and, after I decide who I think my main shall be (leaning towards Fox), the sources I have found jump from beginner wave-dashing to advanced ledge illusion techniques and other complicated Smash terminology. So it would be appreciated if there was some sort of sequential experience-level based tutorial you guys give me.

And as some extra info, I currently consider myself a casual but I am pretty committed to getting better at this.
    Thanks in advance.

17. CowboyDan

Smashboards has some okay guides
    http://smashboards.com
    I suggest getting into melee. If you have a decent computer, you can emulate it and play other skilled people online. Also, if theres a smash scene around you, you could meet people that could teach you and stuff. I get all my practice from netplay. (You really need to play other people to get good at any smash title) You can also get a fan made thing called the 20xx pack to work on tech skill

Commentary can be confusing once you begin, but theres not that many terms. Once you start playing your self and reading guides, you can analize and learn from competitive matches.

Also, you can't really choose a main till you start playing around with everyone. For like my first two weeks i was stuck on young link, then sheik, and finally my current main jigglypuff. And just recently ive been learning Falco so I can dual main for the pesky match ups like fox puff and sheik puff. Good luck i hope u choose melee

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  18. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

CLOUD FROM FF7????? WTF????? PLEASE SAKURAI PLEASE YOU FUCKING GLORIOUS TEASE WHO THE FUCK EXPECTED THIS.

ALSO DECEMBER SMASH DIRECT WITH BRAWL MUSIC HOLY FUCK SNAKE AND WOLF????

Auburn likes this.
  19. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I'm hoping for a wii u subspace emissary personally (or a story mode of sorts). The lyrics of the Brawl theme really fit with the idea of smash bros story mode.
    full lyrics here

Edit: though if we are taking the lyrics literally, the words sung are the first stanza of the song. One man, plunged into enemy territory, saving his homeland... Big Boss/Naked Snake confirmed? It would make metal gear/solid snake fans happy, and with recent game releases, Big Boss is actually more recently played than Solid Snake (peace walker, mgs3 3d, and mgsv have all been released since brawl, and all of them star big boss opposed to solid snake).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
Mods: BlueLuigi