1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dust: Elysian Tail

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Spoolooni, Jan 14, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNP31Z-wu9U

Probably the next thing enjoyable besides Cavestory, Fez and Braid...at least in my point of view. Despite the furry art styles that can make certain people butt hurt and the annoying fairy thing that drives you to punch the keyboard, the story and voice acting in this game were quite refreshing especially the animations involved.

Sytoplasma and goodyman8 like this.
  2. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

A damn shame that its only for the 360 arcade.

3. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

Forgive me if this sound stupid (because I frankly never even look at consoles or console games), but the 360 doesn't have a keyboard does it?

Also, fucking touch screens and their terrible precision anything

4. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

You can buy a keyboard to type online with it if I'm right.
    But yeah, aside from that its useless.

5. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

It's a figure of speech, also I do have a keyboard for my xbox when I used to send troll messages to people on halo.

Also goodyman, it's not useless when you want to do that "fun thing" with camping snipers.

6. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

I took an interest in this game when I saw gameplay videos of it when it came out, but then I learned it was for xbox so I went "meh".

Also, the main character is similar to Woof :p

7. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

I will never want to look at that comic ever again.

8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Seeing as there was since a release to Steam, and now there's an iOS port as well, I figured it might be time to bump this thread.

When I first heard of Dust, I wasn't even the least bit interested. XBLA exclusive and no Xbox 360, it wouldn't have mattered... But I really fucking hate furry culture and the fact that the game features anthropomorphic animals pushed me away.

So now I'm a little bit older, a little bit wiser, and a little more willing to step out of my comfort zone... And when I saw it on the AppStore for $5.99, I looked up Jim Sterling's review and checked to see how the iOS version functioned. Once I felt comfortable, I bought it and gave it a shot...

Fuck me. Fuck me and my stupid, superficial bias, because this game is fucking incredible. I genuinely can't believe that everything (but the music) was done by one guy. While a one man team is usually very creative and passionate, they generally tend to put out rather flawed games that are lacking in certain areas because for the most part, art assets and coding generally have a, "one or the other," kind of stigma, but the dude behind Dust managed to pull off an experience that puts most AAA developers with budgets of millions upon BILLIONS of dollars to absolute fucking shame. The combat... Oh! The combat is so fucking tight and responsive and truly makes you feel like a badass...

If you haven't played it and want to get into it, what the fuck are you waiting for? It's six fuckin dollars right now!

BlueLuigi and Sytoplasma like this.
  9. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Well, that's high praise... I'm one of those who has the game but was driven away by that fucking annoying furry fairy holy shit but I've seen a lot of people who were in the same boat talk about getting past that, so I'll have to give this another try

Psiklaw likes this.
  10. thebonesauce

Fidget is, indeed, annoying... But the game is just so fucking good that she doesn't even phase me. The music, the sound design, art style and animation, combat, crafting system (from 2012 so I'll cut it some slack), and just so much more... There's even a few little things I've noticed while playing, like the dynamic weather/music effects, using the Dust Storm to drag in coins and items, using the Aerial Dust Storm to gain altitude from enemies, the exploration aspects, and really, seeing the combo counter reaching numbers in the THOUSANDS at some points is astonishing. The voice acting (aside from Fidget of course) is truly wonderful... I just really can't think of much bad to say aside from Fidget and the easy boss battles, and frankly, you owe yourself to give it another shot with an open mind.

11. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

If someone's not going to be in my face about it or harmful, I don't tend to mind too greatly what someone's "social culture" is. That being said, Dust is, hands down, a masterpiece. I blew through something like half of it on hard a few months back. Burned myself out and haven't touched it since, but it's probably the best melee combat system I've ever had the pleasure of using in a platformer.

Another little tidbit that I appreciate is that the game actually uses the furry style as a plot element, making the reptilian people, who are called "Moonbloods," a subject of extreme persecution by many mammalian characters. Later in the game, this actually accounts for a significant portion of the plot.

It also made my mac mini so hot that I had to prop it up on a box or else the USB ports didn't work right.

thebonesauce likes this.
  12. thebonesauce

I really do agree about combat. For as good as CrossCode felt to play and fight in, Dust has them beat 10 to 1. It's just amazing to me learning to do all kinds of things, seeing how the Dust Storm affects the environment and enemies, loot... Like when I realized you could gain altitude easy with the Aerial Dust Storm. The platforming isn't all that difficult but the battles are insane. I feel like such a boss when there are so many enemies to cut through, it's like it never gets old.

I took so much time playing that I've only just beat Fuse, and I've already been playing it for like 2 hours. The game is just far too rich and robust to just speed through. When you look at the finer details in the game it becomes even more incredible. I still can't stop getting hit because I'm marveling at just how much love and attention went into this game. And I'm not joking when I said getting hit, I was looking at how the Dust Storm manipulates the scenery around you; a tree will sway and tip over, vines will flutter towards the sword, coins and other materials that are on the other side of a slide area. You can literally turn whichever way sucks the items in and use the Dust Storm. It's like the guy thought of everything right?

13. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

I have this game, got it in a bundle last year for like 1€ (pay what you want +1). It was cool. But I also got tired of the hentai shit it makes me sweat ice, it felt weird. But i think is good game, I support furry product maybe

14. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I don't think you and I have the same definition of "hentai" (as I saw nothing close to hentai in the game)

thebonesauce likes this.
  15. Psiklaw

Psiklaw Bison Rider

I was joking actually. The furry shenanigans are not present just the furry drawings and they are good enough.

16. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Very game, much recommend.

thebonesauce likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi