1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog Weekly News – KAG Update for Halloween

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Oct 30, 2015.

1. L3fty

L3fty Bison Rider Staff Alumni

As a guy who made use of tramps consistently can say they've lost their coolness factor as you could apply them with different angles which now make no difference. Allowing for two as max velocity perhaps may be proper. Otherwise Im happy power cannons are done for. I find it funny someone prefers chaos with tramps but not chaos with mines.

2. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

It'd be cool if it was slightly easier for knights to destroy a mine. Like, a few jabs or 2 slashes or something. It's terribly hard to do anything as a knight, and archers just blow you up if they try to destroy it. Of course builders can break it ez, but when do you see frontline builders? never

3. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

I think it might be fair if it took at least like 4 knight slashes or 2 arrows to disarm a mine. Any less and it's really not much of an inconvenience to players with good situational awareness.

Anyone who touches a mine should still die, but those within the blast radius should maybe just get hurt to some extent.

4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Yeah, I think my mind was straying towards emphasis on the slightly in SBC's post. By the current sounds of it disarming a mine is practically infeasible for most knights (unless left alone & allowed to take their time about it. That said, I really like the idea of mines being something that cause one-peep-army knights to have to pause and deal with caution. Stops the buggers from Steamrolling quite so easily/mindlessly.

5. 1. Sthap remove my post
    2. When classic will get new update?

Sturm likes this.
  6. Darruin

Darruin Bison Rider Staff Alumni

I like the new feature of tramps where they work even while being carried, but I don't think it was a good idea to remove tramp cannons. I've built a lot of them and just because your team has one doesn't mean it's an assured win. If anything, they needed slight nerfs. But a complete removal? Really salty about it. :QQ:

EhRa likes this.
  7. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

1. Sthap with the off-topic.
    2. Probably never.

Now contribute to the thread at hand or go away and do whatever it is you do when you're not asking inane questions. Your choice. :huh?:

kedram, bru-jaz, J-man2003 and 2 others like this.
  8. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

"Quality of posts on these forums degrades with each day..." -Furai

To stay on topic so FBB doesn't give me a blue text attack, I have to agree it is quite trash, though it does look nicer, it is missing vital info on it like all spectators, the name of the server, the amount of players, if the server is favorited or not, if it has mods, etc. The old player list was better, though not perfect.

As for mines, I think they only need the following changes...

They should work as a counter to vehicles and do heavy damage to them if they're touching them (fun fact! Mines were originally intended to counter boats!) and lone players who make a stupid mistake to step on the mine. As such they should do insta-kill damage to the person who is within a 1 tile radius of the mine, but anyone outside only takes 1 and 3/4 damage (to not let archers die to AoE damage that they take because of their teammates, aka greifing/teamkilling) and knights should be able to shield the radial damage but not the 1 tile radius damage. They should do less damage to blocks because a player can walk into them purposefully to grief a building, kegs are already here to counter buildings, we don't need an explosive that not only acts a trap that only explodes when touching an enemy object and doesn't require timing, but also one that acts as a building destroyer? Unbalanced in every way...

As for trampolines, they are fine, let's be honest: Tramp cannons were an unbalanced part of the game that needed changing. I think the fact that they work when held is brilliant and makes them much more useful, but they should be able to be folded for utility purposes, I don't see why this was changed...

Also Verra don't make tramps heavy items, that will make them useless and clutter like boulders. As of now they are useful and are fine, don't neuter them like THD did to boulders, drills, etc.

On a final note, am I the only one that hates the fact that FBB's name-tag is red though his name includes "Blue".

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    bru-jaz likes this.
  9. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

drills have a use, just not for shitter knights who want to LITERALLY 1 man army the game. Boulders were too easy and over-powered, and tramps are just the item that fuck up combat right now when held. Nerfing their ability to be held and fight as usual would be good imo.

FuzzyBlueBaron and J-man2003 like this.
  10. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

I'm not saying drills are worthless, I use them all the time, it's just that they did receive a heavy neutering. Boulders were intended as a defense/combat item for builders but could be held by other classes. (I think boulders should be un-nerfed-while keeping the same damage as they have now-but should only be able to be held by boulders) The idea for the tramp isn't really balanced, if your on the front-lines trying to keep your friend in the air, the last thing you want to do is not be able to fight incoming enemies, I just think the bugs need to be fixed with them.

11. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

As people are getting annoyed by random carrying around of the new trampolines, I think you should have to be holding the jump key to use an ally's held trampoline. So then, if you're not holding "w" then you'll just pass right through it if it's in someone's hands. That way it would be easier to avoid accidentally bouncing your team to their deaths.

mehwaffle10 and J-man2003 like this.
  12. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

>If this was to be added, then there's an even bigger reason to have a better tutorial.

It doesn't even have to be mandatory to complete, something as simple as having an option to go to an optional "advanced" tutorial section (teaching things like bomb-jumping, sawmills, trampolines, etc.) would help newbies a lot more. I've seen other games do this and it really helps players fully understand the game before diving right into it.

Maybe if the bots/mooks were ever improved AI wise then there could be a live action tutorial, which would make the tutorial fun, a lot of other games have done this and it not only gives you a sense of what the actual game is like but it also makes the tutorial more fun instead of it being a chore, TF2 did this, The Escapists did this, and many, many more games did.

But to get back on topic, that idea has no reason to not be added, if someone was dedicated enough they could grief like that, and there needs to be a way to counter something like that.

Also with mines, as I said earlier many players-even in the previous build-would purposefully activate mines to grief their team. It's why mines need a serious tile damage nerf (Kegs already fill the role of tile destruction, we don't need 2 to fill 1 role) and less AoE damage or some sort of way to let other players counter a stupid player stepping on the mine when they're near.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 5, 2015, Original Post Date: Nov 5, 2015 ---
    Tramp cannons were extremely unbalanced, it was more abuse of the game's mechanics than anything else, it's almost like the whole shenanigans about shield-scaling a whole fort as knight, everyone did it but was it balanced? No, of course not, and neither were trampoline cannons. They were basically stacking the ability of one thing to make a superb version of it, that is way too overpowered. If you really think tramp cannons were a good part of the game, which they sort of were, then maybe...

Instead of having it to where you can't use another trampoline within a fraction of a second of using another, the push of the next trampoline you hit within the time frame is reduced by around 50% (stacks with other trampolines, no, not making a 3 trampoline tramp cannon only have the power of a 2 one, learn your math), to make tramp cannons more balanced but still an option.

@jmandoublepostsonceagain

13. PUNK123

sounds un-needed and tedious for the teammate. If anything this should be reversed to work with enemies so they can actually perform a stomp.

J-man2003 likes this.
  14. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Maybe push S to go through the trampoline.

15. Potatobird

How is it tedious? Usually you press up if you want to go up. Doesn't everybody naturally hold up when they're trying to bounce on a tramp? And I'm not sure I understand what the second bit means, why should the enemies have more choice in how they deal with your trampoline than your team does? I kind of like how you can more easily defend yourself from pouncing foes if you have a tramp, although usually you just get stomped multiple times instead of once.

The problem isn't usually that you can't get past your team's tramp when you want to, it's that you find yourself randomly flying into the sky when you really weren't intending to do so. I think it should take initiative to use the tramp, not to avoid using the tramp - that's what's annoying about it in the first place. You shouldn't find yourself accidentally using your team's tool.

mehwaffle10, Blue_Tiger and J-man2003 like this.
  16. PUNK123

teammates should automatically hit a trampoline in a teammates hands or it would feel crappy and weird. Walking around with something that cost wood(very easy to get) that dodges all stomps nerfs the defense of towers. They literally wouldnt be able to attack you from the top and that is completely trash. Also to your ending part no there are several ways to easily avoid being stomped while holding a tramp. You can toss it up so the enemy has next to no chance of hitting you(though a smart one might just snatch your tramp) or you can hold down and do your basic movements(basically a glitch but i dont see it getting fixed so i consider it a mechanic). I think S fits your idea better personally because in most situations you shouldnt be hopping up and down in combat(unless you want to actually use the tramp). It also seems easier and more logical to hold down to have the tramp not affect than to hold up to be able to use it. Then again re-thinking it adding your idea to have it affect both teams might be a solid idea(using w to make it have an effect)

TL;DR: i dont want to enemy to have more options than your teammate but i dont want people at the bottom of the tower to have the advantage of the team at the top of the tower.

J-man2003 likes this.
  17. Potatobird

I don't know what kind of experiences you've had with the new tramps but the way I remember things happening, usually the enemies coming in from above will stomp you, take no fall damage, and then go back into the air to stomp you again if you didn't already die. I don't think it's hard at all to stomp people with trampolines, and it certainly doesn't make you immune to attacks from above. I remember having a builder 1v1 with lefty earlier and I had a tramp and I had to keep throwing it at him to prevent him from stomping me, which was actually pretty hard.

I haven't tried holding down yet and I always hated that mechanic too, but it seems to me that you could still easily slash and take no fall damage.

And I don't know what you mean by "you shouldn't be hopping around in combat", people do that all the time, it helps dodge arrows and it's kind of just natural instinct. I can't speak for everyone, but I find it much more natural to hold up when using a trampoline because that's how it works in a lot of other platformers and... well, "hold up to bounce up" makes more sense than "hold down to not bounce up". And who would figure it out if you had to hold down to go through it? Not a lot of people read patch notes and nobody holds down randomly while jumping.

I think it feels crappy and weird already, because you automatically hit them, not necessarily when you want to.

mehwaffle10, bru-jaz and J-man2003 like this.
  18. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

In order to fix the trampoline abuse, maybe you can't collide with a trampoline that isn't on your team? Either that or a high velocity blob that is not on the same team as the trampoline it hits will go through the trampoline, to make stomping and arrows effective against trampoline abusers.

19. PUNK123

Easy solutions.

1)add whatever new mechanic needs to be added to tramps and add it to a help textbox
    2)you can shield and crouch(alot of knights do it) and i doubt it will ever be fixed.(negates stomp damage)
    3)you can dodge arrows by just moving forward or back(or shield if you are knight) and i dont see how gearing a mechanic to just archer movement is fair(as im sure that is what you mean when you are jumping to dodge arrows to shoot arrows back)

20. Potatobird

All I meant by that is a lot of people including me just instinctively jump around a lot when actually playing the game, with any class, to get around terrain or whatever, and it's really easy to find yourself over a teammate's tramp. Just join a game and try bringing a tramp around and you'll see people get bounced around and do the :>:(: face all the time.

I still think you're really overestimating the amount of protection a tramp gives you but I'm not gonna go test it (right now, anyway)